• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

E-85

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't it a wonderful blessing to live in such a free country. Oh yes, I have more than one Cub Cadet. Now let's think about this... "bigger is better". Remember around a year and a half ago when in the <u>My Rant </u> section of The Sandbox someone asked about how gasoline would go before fellow Cubbers cut back on driving? If I recall some said something about the $4.00 range. Well... won't that be sweet to see when it happens? Bigger is better... Another interesting reading last week was in the USA paper someone had left on the breakroom table. The article mentioned how not only were houses being foreclosed upon more and more vehicles and boats were also being repossessed. This intriguing article waxed on about how the vehicles were from not only the average Joe and Sally but were also being repossessed in some very affluent neighborhoods. Same thing happening with the boats. Anything from typical boats to yachts. Again bigger is better... we live in a free country... and marshmallows are really great when on a stick over an open campfire.

Here in world friendly I.O.W.A. (Idiots Out Wondering Around... someone from Missouri once told me that and I dearly love Iowa). Our nice government leaders many years ago passed a law to help out farmers. The law says that pickup trucks only pay a flat fee of $65.00 per year for registration. Oh man... the number of town people that have informed me that is the only reason they own a truck. A law intended to help farmers helps out "those in need/in town", also. The same people complain about not enough money to fix Iowa roads. Again bigger is better and we live in a free country.

I don't think it is so much a thing about people worrying about what others do so much as people are living like there is no tomorrow or living beyond their means. Personally I could care less if someone wants to drive an Escalade or a pickup truck around or even one of those big Navistar trucks like Ashton Kutcher owns. The difference is this. Ashton can afford to own that rig. How many of these others that believe "bigger is better" and it is a "free country" so I'm gonna drive what I want and you can shove your opinion.... can really afford these nice toys. Like my younger brother told me so many times of the people that would work a lot of overtime and built really expensive houses, bought two cars, a truck, a big boat, and were in debt up to their bing bangs. When the overtime dried up.. so did their fun. Many of them lost ... Yes... bigger is truly better and to live in a free country is such a blessing... when done responsibly.
coffee.gif

Dean,
I knew your point. I was agreeing with you, with a touch of humor.

I would drive an electric car to work if I could, and a Duramax to have fun.

The interesting thing is I get about 24 mpg with my Truck. About what you would get with most cars these days. I only get 13 mpg pulling my Travel Trailer but that mostly depends on how fast I drive.
Shift.gif

Some interesting comments lately, especially about the size of vehicles.. I drive a four cylinder Ranger now, have for about 10 years - traded in a Silverado on it ( funny thing is that I pay now more to fill a 14 gallon tank than I did then to fill the 35 gallon one). I'd started back in the mid 80's with a Four Cylinder Ranger and a 19 foot fifth wheel for camping. Next thing ya know ,we "needed" a bigger truck, so we went to a Jeep Commanche, which led to a 25 foot fifth wheel, but then we had a chance to move up to the Silverado ( 350 heavy duty for hauling a camper) which led to a 31 foot , 11 1/2 foot tall 10,000 lb. fifth wheel. Bigger is better??? nah - we had the most fun with the littlest rig and as each step up was made it got more like work... And our mileage went from 19 to 14 to 8 MPG...When it was time for a new truck a few years ago, we moved to a Class "C" motorhome and dropped back to the Ranger which we tow when were on the road. Now we're getting 6-8 MPG (460 Ford in the MH)and it looks like we'll have to limit our travels this summer (we may head up Digger's way to the Cushman Nats, but at $3+ we may not even do that). Shoulda stayed with the littlest rig.. I also wish I could buy a decent sized pickup to replace the Ranger, with a small V6 engine, standard shift, a 7 foot box and 4 wheel drive, but the dealer looked like I'd just dropped in from Mars.

I've been looking at bikes lately and that's frustrating, too. Not to put too fine a point on it, but apparently the only way to build a motorcycle now that sells is to build a bloated top heavy copy of a Milwaukee cruiser that the sales people defend by saying "it feels light above 5 MPH" At the same time, they can build crotch rockets that weigh 400 pounds or less and have three times the horsepower, so it's not like they don't know how to build 'em light....they're just giving us what we've asked for..

And yeah, I'm starting to feel guilty about this conspicuous consumption on my part (and that of others)....because while I may not be around to see the end result, my grandson will be - and I think he's in for a rough road if we don't learn a little moderation and a lot of conservation.

I just won't feel guilty about having fun with my cubs, tractors or anything else that uses fuel. To 'live within our means' and to 'save for a rainy day' are not just cliche there <u>common sense</u>. There are going to be people that do foolish things with there money and lives but that should not imply that people with enough good sense should feel guilty about using an 'suv', a one ton dually or there beloved gas sipping cub cadet. We also should not cater to those who say we should feel guilty for living a free life style but <u>act as examples</u> of what hard work, persiverance and grace can bring to us.
fence.gif
jmho
happy.gif

Kendell-

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

because while I may not be around to see the end result, my grandson will be - and I think he's in for a rough road if we don't learn a little moderation and a lot of conservation.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

<font size="-1">Well put. I wish more people felt this way, as many of you aren't going to see significant changes in your lifetime. I probably will.</font>

I've never cared for camper trailers or motor homes I prefer a tent, I can haul it in my Isuzu Rodeo (20+mpg highway) or in the Toyota Corolla (40+mpg highway), I suppose I could even haul it on my bicycle though I've never tried. I have hauled in on my back attached to my backpack plenty of times....
coffee.gif

Problem is I can't tow the horse trailer with either of those vehicles.
rolleyes.gif
I can haul the tent with the horse however.
lol.gif

Kendell and Brian. VERY well stated. Thank You.

Kraig M. You just need to find an old IH truck like what Charlie found and fix it up. That way you could haul the horse, tent, trailer, the family, and the rest of the items you mentioned. Or better yet. An old IH school bus.

I was talking to a guy at work the other day. I told him about the 150 mpg car I saw in that news article posted earlier. I mentioned that the car's starting price is 22,000. He mentioned that a 12,000 Saturn would be a better deal and probably more comfortable.
I decided to do some math. Lets say you drove 30 miles to work, that would be 60 miles per day. Let's say your Saturn got 30 miles per gallon. It would cost $8 a day to drive to work if gas was $4 per gallon. That's $40 per week or $160 per month. The 150 mpg car would be able to drive to work 2.5 days on a gallon. That would be $8 per week or $32 per month. That's a difference of $128 per month. It would take 78 months to make up for the extra cost of the more efficient car. It would take 6.5 years before you would even break even, not to mention save money. As you can see buying a more efficient car just doesn't pay, even if you could get 5 times better mileage.

A few people have brought up how rough our grandchildren will have it when we run out of oil. I would imagine 150-200 years ago people were worrying about running out of whale oil and running out of trees. The amount of trees that we cut down back then was horrible. They clear cut the whole state of Minnesota. We have been using wood today supplemented with other products and we are not running out, yet. The market changed and corrected

Technology is a powerful force. However it takes money to move it along. The money is going to come from the consumer who decides to buy the product. Look haw far cell phone technology has come in a few short years. $3 a gallon gas is not expensive enough to move the technology machine. It would take $6-$8 gas before we start investing in alternatives. The government is attempting to move it along faster by mandating E-85 and ethanol products. We either need to spend the money today in subsidies or tomorrow in higher prices.

Terry well put, the higher prices would move it along much better than government subsidies tho (it is still consumers money one way or the other). There is something thrilling about a loud bellering American V-8.
Shift.gif
bubbly.gif

Kraig there is a fella round here who packed his vacation on the bike and he and his wife pedaled to Denver (1100 miles) camping all the way.

Boy have we gotton off topic, but it sure has been fun.

Dean,

Just reading this thread. I don't want to belabor the point but the Expedition suv is a 1/2 ton. The Ford "Ex" sequence of big, bigger, and biggest goes Explorer, Expedition, Excursion and it is the Excursion that is 3/4 ton and can be had with a diesel. I have one of the original Explorers and it is much smaller than the current ones so it has gotten bloated just like the Dodge Durango. They build what the people ask for.... after the people have been subjected to megabucks of advertising and lots of peer pressure. If we're lucky we will survive this cycle.

JimE

Terry-
Great comments!
thumbsup_old.gif

I went through the same type of calculations when gas hit the $2/gallon mark.

At the time I was driving a 3/4 ton Suburban 70 miles round trip to work. I wanted to keep the Suburban for towing duties, but it would have took quite a large gas savings to BREAK EVEN after paying for the additional insurance of another vehicle. Ultimately I ended up keeping the 'burb for towing duties and bought a used Impala which gets ~30 M.P.G. for daily driving. For me that was a good balance between "economy" and "real world comfort/usability".

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for "saving" fuel, and lowering any impact we may have on the environment, but it drives me nuts that as a society we've suddenly decided to start talking about being environmentally freindly now that gas is no longer $1.05/gallon. Seems a little "knee-jerk-ish" in my opinion...

Where was all of this talk 10 years ago? Sure, it was out there, but you didn't find it as a daily subtopic in the national news like you do now.

I'm not ripping on anyone here in this discussion, I'm talking about the shift the "soccer mom" society we live in has made. 10 years ago the average "soccer mom" wanted a big SUV (pick your brand) now it's considered vogue to drive a Prius, only buy products that are "green" for the environment, and only losers drive big SUVs. Huh????

Again, I think the shift toward energy savings is a good thing, but it seems more than little disingenuous when the shift tracks so closely to a more than 3X rise in the cost of fuel in a 8 year period. I'd love to see what would happen if by some freak-situation gas went back down to $1.05/gallon for even 6 months. John Q. Public would be saying "green what"? "Climate change who"????? I want my SUV back!!!!

Well, enough ranting, time to turn the furnace up to 78deg and go to bed. Hey, it's really cold out tonight, if I start my car now and leave it running through the night, it will certainly be warm in the morning!
coffee.gif

Good Night!!!
happy.gif

Henry Ford and The Spanish American War

The town meeting had been going along fairly brisk when suddenly there for no explainable reason a huge lull appeared. All necessary business proceedings were being carried out successfully and everyone was of light heart and general agreement on things. for some reason or another this worried the councilpersons and the Mayor. Any normal town meeting would surely bring some discussion forthwith, be it heated or mild. Tonight's meeting was going way to smooth to be comfortable. Finally the Mayor spoke. "Has anyone here any further comment upon any old, current, or new subject?" The silence that followed for some reason seemed to grow uncomfortable. No one objected or spoke up. The Mayor was about to ask for an end to the night's proceedings when suddenly the town drunk shouted, "Let's hear what the Village Idiot has to say. He always is flapping his yap about something. Hey, V.I.!!! Stand up and speak. The Mayor wants to hear your opinion." After THAT outburst the town hall grew really quiet. All eyes now turned upon the local Village Idiot. Awkwardly the Village Idiot stood there and rather meekly replied, "I've nothing to really add. For once I'd rather just stay quiet and mind my own business." OHMIGOD... That was the meeting at which would always be remembered as when six women fainted, children started crying, men got down on their knees and started praying for Eternal Salvation, and the town hooker started accepting VISA. "Aw, c'mon V.I. You always have something to say about anything.", the Town Drunk chided. With that some of the other townsfolk began to join in and called for the Village Idiot to speak his peace about something, anything. With reluctance the Village Idiot took to the podium and began to speak. "Folks, I want to go on record tonight as to this wasn't my idea." Someone in the crowd shouted out, "Just cut to the chase Idiot. We all got better things to do and this meeting needs to getting over with soon." So, with a sigh the Village Idiot began to speak.

"Technology is a wonderful thing. Why look at all the many great things that we have in our world today because of it. However to continue to spend money on subsidizing things such as alternative fuels and energy and more effieicient transportation should be outlawed. When you think about Cyrus McCormick inventing the reaper ask yourself just how much subsidizing did he have from the government? Also why did he invent the reaper? Was it because way back in 1831 he saw the forthcoming Civil War and the ending of slavery? I rather doubt it. What about Henry Ford? Did he stop and think, "Gee. The government is buying an awful lot of horses for the military. Is the government anticiapting going to war with Spain? Hmmmm... horse shortage means something here... DANG IT... higher priced horses. I just gotta invent something to replace horses so that we can all get around easier. Quoting Emeril, "BAMM!!!", the first American automobile. And he did it without subsidies. The Village Idiot soon had the crowd mesmerized with his ranting about how Free Enterprise should be just that FREE!!! The government shouldn't be subsidizing things unless there is a true need. V.I. continued with such things as how big companies buy ideas and then shelve them. Remember Harry Ferguson and his famous three point hydraulic system? The V.I. said that he remembered reading an article years back where Harry Ferguson had invented a four wheel drive automobile with four separate hydrualic motors (one for each wheel) and the whole system was powered with an engine that was a third the size of at the time a normal car engine. Jensen FF story This car was said to have been quite economical on all fields of operatioin. The article that V.I. read said how Chrysler promptly bought the rights and shelved the idea. Finally the V.I. wrapped up his now very lengthy tales with one final thought. Remember Mark Underwood?

Marlin,
So am I the VI or the VD? Or maybe I don't want to know.
eek.gif

Terry B. You are neither. You are however one heck of a great person. All what I was trying to do is make others think like you are helping make others think. Please don't ever think that I would ever imply such a thing.

Terry B. I did notice though that you said, "They clear cut the whole state of Minnesota." Paul Bunyan did that with the help of Babe the Blue Ox.
yikes.gif

I can't wait to meet you at Plow Day. I've been told for a long time that I should get more into writing and that I could actually make $$$ at it with my imagination. Sometimes I just let my imagination run wild.

Get this thread back on track...
Quote from the "My Rant" thread by Kyle Moe..
"BTB corn prices are up so far the the ethanol plants out this way can't buy at a price that will let them turn a profit."

Hmmmmmm..... Corn's now too expensive for ethanol production - too expensive for food production - too expensive for corn burning heating systems........ wonder what happens now ??
coffee.gif

Latest posts

Back