• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Disabled but rich !

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya know our police and fire dept's deserve some special recognition, but ya, I think this man is really goosin' the system. In the future I think there will be a number of changes in contracts with public service employees. <font size="-2">Like you dont get to stack up your 'sick days' till you retire. Your sick? OK sick day. But if you dont use 'em you loose 'em. They are NOT vacation days!</font>

Allen,

Speaking as a public service employee, sick days are overly abused by most and under used by others.

Here where I work we had a guy retire after 30 years, never used 1 sick day in those 30 years, always used a day of vacation if he was sick, and when out of sick days, he show up to work and infect everyone else than complain about them takeing a sick day.

Than there are those who call in sick when they know the work load is going to be heavy that day, or just to have the day off befor the weekend.

The adverage public service employee has always accepted a lower hourly wage compaired to the same type of job in the private sector, in exchange for a decent fringe benifit package, like low co-pay on health insurance, vacation days, sick days, ect.

The above mention employee only gained 3 months of paid health insurance for all those unused sick days in 30 years.

I,myself have been a public service employee for 26 years, and belive it or not, it took 17 years and a promation for me to double my starting wage, I now make just over $15/hour.

We also are looking at another 8 days of no pay this comming fiscal year, and are lucky enough to be able to secdule 4 of them, the other 4 days off with out pay are assigned and they all fall on days that least effect the public.

8 days off without pay is the same as a 3% pay cut for the adverage public service employee, so that actually makes my hourly wage $14.55/hour.

Now if we start to add up all the increases in the health insurance co-pays, income tax, social security, fed tax, ect my actual hourly wage is far less.

ALLEN, LONNIE - Some people in the private sector also abuse sick days. Years ago I worked at a company where our lead design eng. farmed on the side. Milked cows of all things! Normally arrived to work late and had to leave early most days. He burned up lots of vacation & sick days one summer trying to bale hay. I over-heard a conversation with one of his co-workers that "You'll have to call in DEAD to finish baling your hay!". Guy's BOSS was sitting right there also....the look on the engineer's face was PRICELESS! ;-)

With today's technology it's real easy to catch people abusing the system. Just takes dedication from Management to make sure the rules & policies are applied fairly to all. Sometimes THAT's what's lacking.

I imagine this is a pretty touchy subject but I feel it's just another example of what has made America what it is, or isn't, today. All of this type of working situations have come about in the last fifty years. The sad thing is it's just a drop in the bucket of what is actually happening all across America....and it starts in DC.

Probably going to get a big POOF here but....Kentuck, I understand about your cookies getting frosted.

I worked 37 years as a public employee. It's interesting to note that when most private sector blue collar jobs in this area were paying more, with better benefits, "30 and out" contracts, "job bank" employees sitting on their butts rather than being laid off, NOBODY bitched about the public employees who were paid less, had less benefits and in cases like the cops, put their life on the line for the public's safety. When times got tough in private industry, NOW the public sector employees are supposed to give up what benefits were promised to them many years ago (which seems to be the norm in the USA now - a contract ain't worth spit..). In most cases, current public sector employees are getting the same types of benefit reductions, retirement plans (no pensions, just IRA's built on that most stable of all areas - Wall Street) and in most states now, they're getting layoff days on top of few or no yearly increases.

The interesting thing in Michigan is everyone wants to "cut taxes, cut services", but no one will give up anything. Hell, all I want is a cop to be available when we need 'em and somebody to grade the road once in a while..

I say the article brings out a bad situation in a specific city. The sick leave cash out policy in our state was changed in the early 90's (Employees hired before then were paid for half of their unused sick leave at current pay rate when they retired). Was it a good or bad policy? in my department, where I ran a 24 x 7 shop, the average amount of accrued sick leave among younger employees was still less than 100 hours - family illness, the problems associated with working swing shifts , etc. always seemed to impact they're ability to build up sick leave - they got 4 hours every two weeks (and we demanded a doctor's slip after three days off). I never saw many employees abusing sick leave, but most of 'em never had a lot either.

I'd say more, but I'll quit before I get in trouble..
swear.gif

Gerry: Let's see if I can fix it:
<font color="ff0000"><font face="verdana,arial,helvetica"><font size="+1">LIFE IS A CRAP SHOOT</font></font></font>
Slant%20Tongue.gif

I would like to make a comment.If some people did not get the good benefits then the rest would get s$$t. really its that simple I have found. my wife does not abuse her sick time and has 3 yrs that she can draw from and some of the rest where she works have none ! ,I was a shop steward for our union and heard a few gripes over the years and was happy to be part of the union .All you had to do was look around at none union shops and see what they were getting paid an hr to do the same work under worse conditions (ppe safety) and there company would loose bids for the same product we sold. I know that the prices were just as high and they treated there like dogs. I was part of a committee when my company wanted to give us disability copay benefits. I made the presentation to not except there offer and to ask to support the workers and buy the insurance as a weekly pay from our pocket.This meant that when hurt and we received a benefit we did not pay income tax for receiving that money.I now 12 years later do enjoy that benefit and so do a few more also.greed is what makes it all work

None union same work $12.00 hr
union shop------------$19.86

Where i worked for 37.5 years we could build sick leave up to 1020 hours. After that we lost it. Some employees abused the policy and some didn't. You could watch thier job performance and see the ones that abused it. They had the attitude that payday was friday and the boss was a $%)(&^#$%^. I lost sick leave the last 12 years i worked. My son is a public service employee and has very few benefits. He was a deputy sheriff at10. per hr and couldn't stand the court system. so he went to a 911 dispatcher. He tells me they have the same system with employees as where i worked. If a bad storm is coming some take the day off. Others have to do thier work. These employees seem to get all the breaks.To sum it up i think most of it is company politics and management problems. Just my 02c

Latest posts

Back