• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Custom fit gt covers

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrigham

displayname
Brendan Brigham
Good, good, that's what I want. Lot of criticism and personal ideas. The quality part is what got me to thinking about this, especially for trailering. That is the biggest reason for not going around the tires. The more air that gets in the greater chance of seams getting ripped out. The Sunbrella I believe is the best material to use, I made a cover for a $100,000 Donzi cigar boat with that material. I will look the next few days to see if I can find another material that I would be happy with. Will also look for something as a liner, that's a good idea. I can, eventually, do covers that will enclose the tires but personally wouldn't want to trailer with it. As for sitting outside for extended lengths (Richard), the Sunbrella could do it but over time there is going to be some fading and should be regularly cleaned off and waterproofing put on it maybe twice a year. The only part I would be leery about is where it would meet the ground, that will be rough on anything. There was some other issues I was going to address but can't remember what they were.

Maybe we should move this over to the sandbox See ya over there.

Ok, remembered one thing, models. At the current time if I go ahead with this I will only be able to use what I have on hand to pattern, a 1450 a 73 and an Original. Until I can fine someone close enough that has a different model to pattern. What I do have however will cover quite a few models.

Hi Brendan, I see we moved. Good idea.
I cover my Cub with a cammo tarp thats about $12. If its NG in a year...heave it. My cub doesn't get much use so its not a big problem uncovering it.
I think before too many people will be able to give you a better estimate of need, maybe you want to estimate costs...Fabric, your time, shipping. Will they be $50, or $100 or ???
PS: yes an IH logo would be cool, but IH Corp may take a dim view on that even with limited production. (Then again, if you mail the logo and the owner glues it on...your clear. :))
Just my humble 2 cents.

That's one thing I have been workin on is a rough estimate. I'm looking for a few different materials to work with. I really like the Sunbrella but it is probably going to be the most expensive. At the upholstery shop we usually gave a choice of a few materials but they most always went with the Sunbrella. That and I would hope 100% made in the USA will be a good selling point. I'm pretty sure the ones I seen at any of the box stores are made in China. One of the suppliers I looked at do not have the colors I wanted so that axed them real quick.

Richard mentioned the lift arm not being covered, I'm assuming he is talking about the rear 3pt ? If so that is deliberate. A lot of guys keep their plows attached to the 3pt going to and from plow days or shows, this way the tractor can be covered and there is slit that will go around the lift pin with a snap at the bottom.

Kendall...I do agree with dirt being better than concrete, as long as the tires don't sink. I can remember pulling my '68 Chevy II out of my parents garage and the floor being damp underneath it. I don't think there would be a problem with moisture with these. If there was, they do make little ventilation pieces that can be put in them.

Almost forgot, the logo. Don't think I'd want to ship it separate with glue. If I put it on myself there I would know for sure it was put on right. I guess if the power to be didn't like me putting their logo on them what would they do, threaten a law suit, give me a spankin ?! I guess it probably wouldn't be that big a deal as I see IH logos on a lot of stuff and I don't think they took time to ask permission. Even JD logos, You see them everywhere. I have heard JD gets a little upset though.

Brendan and all, I have the same problem most cubbers have which is protected space. When I ran out of barn space I found a roll of 4 mil black plastic in the basement. The plastic is 20 feet wide (folded, of course) so I cut about 6 ft lengths, unfolded then just doubled back. These lengths are actually the cover width and doubling the plastic gives me 10 feet which is ample to cover the length of a tractor. Basically it is a 6x10 two layer cover. I can fold the ends around requiring just one weight on each end to hold the plastic. The black color allows it to get too unbearable for insects, especially dirt dobbers and wasps. I think the roll cost around $40 and I can get at least 6 covers that easily last a year (the roll wasn't a full roll and I got 6 covers). I try to keep mine where they just get a little morning sun then shade. It's a bit of a hassle but works well, even in good winds, and is cheap. I might would consider a special made cover for a fully restored tractor or even my nicer ones but they get the barn space anyway plus I use them.

I like the idea of a glue-on logo. Just cut the plastic and glue to a new piece of plastic year after year. That sounds plike a good way to dress up a yard full of tractors under plastic.

My two cents worth as well.....Wayne

"I like the idea of a glue-on logo. Just cut the plastic and glue to a new piece of plastic year after year. That sounds plike a good way to dress up a yard full of tractors under plastic."

Ok...now thats funny
lol.gif

The restored or refurbished ones are what I was thinking about. Even being inside, especially a barn, will still get crap on them a lot. Mine are nowhere near being nice enough for a cover but when FrankenCub is finished and probably the 73 after a repaint will definitely get covers, and they are stored out of the weather.

I'm still workin on this. I have some rough prices but I'm tryin to find the wholesaler we used at the upholstery shop. They had a huge selection of materials to choose from. I want to find something a little less expensive so I can get the overall price down so some of you guys will still be interested. I have seen some on greedbay and I think they aren't of very good quality. They are quite a bit cheaper than I can even get material for but I will not sacrifice quality.

Latest posts

Back