• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub cadet hydro information

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
I will take apart my spare ported pump and help with putting together information so we can have this in the Faq to share with everyone.All information about our hydro pumps is welcome. post away. later Don T
construction.gif

I will post some pictures that I have here. I did delete some
bash.gif
. I would take my spare hydr apart to show all the parts .

221593.jpg

221594.jpg

221595.jpg

221596.jpg

221597.jpg

221598.jpg

This is the plate where the trunnion shaft moves for forward and reverse. Note that there is a two piece pin on the one side and care will need to be taken when you remove this pin.

Donald T. This is an excellent idea. It will make things simpler for someone to reference Hydro Repairs Specifically. Keep posting your experience of what you've done and supplying more pictures here.
happy.gif

If you can provide clearer (close ups) and not so glossy pictures on the two valveplate fronts then I'll be able to explain what the fishtails are on the grooves better. Pictures four and five from the top do show the fishtail if you look close only the sharper non gloss will really bring detail.

Picture three shows the bottom of the valveplate and the opening on the side is where the valve plate locates on the timing pin.

The bottom picture is called the swashplate and when it pivots changes speed and direction of the motor.

Off to work again.
221621.gif

p.s. I hope that Charlie doesn't mind us doing this.

Marlin, Norm, and Don

I don't know how Steve "Mr Plow" Blunier and others do it, but arrows and or numbers drawn on the pictures would really help those interested readers who are trying to follow the thread of conversation. I suspect they bring the photos into Microsoft Paint or other graphic application and use a "brush" or "pen" tool to mark up the photographs. I'm still trying to learn and identify the major pieces in the assembly. So far I've learned (from Norm's experience) that there is a part on the front which must be removed before the two main pieces are split in two, but I couldn't tell you, without reference to an exploded view what the 3 pieces are.

At any rate, I'm posting the exploded view and "schematic" found in the back of the service manual for everyone's reference during the discussion.

If I post the wrong info, we'll have to ask a moderator to remove it.

Hydro diagrammed by Roland Bedell

221627.jpg

I could only post one of the graphics I wished to use because of file size, the other is the exploded view showing portions most prone to wear from the FAQ by K Mcgiver (Kmcgiver) on Wednesday, August 29, 2001 - 09:13 pm:

221634.jpg

It took several conversions to get this file in under the 100 KB limit and still be legible.

All,

More reference shots for following discussion

221648.jpg

I'm having trouble doing this at work, and I think I'll get some feedback before posting more of the shots from the manuals that I feel will be helpful. The only trouble is that my most powerful image editing tools (like Adobe Acrobat) are available only at work.

Jerremiah C. Great pics!!! Maybe Kraig can make them a little bigger for us.

Pics posted here can not be made bigger and still readable guys.
Someone is gonna have to put something together word wise and then send it and the pics to me if you want this stuff added to the FAQ's.
No if's and's or hydro's!
clappy.gif

Got'cha Charlie.... As always.... You're THE BEST!!! and we're working on that.
happy.gif

Marlin, Norm

The last two pages I think might be useful are from the Sundrand 15 Series manual. I've found that Windows Live Photo Gallery (an optional Windows Update) allow one to resize JPEG files and set the resolution manually. I've found that 1/2 of the usual 640 x 480 resolution (or 320 x 240) saves my files at just under 100 KB. The application I had been using (Kodak EasyShare) had pre-set reductions that were either too large or too small.

Anyhooo . . . here for your viewing pleasure are two photos, references to the original are included in the picture's alias, just use your mouse button to reveal it.

221727.jpg

221728.jpg

I can send these, full size, some of them in PDF format, all of them in JPG to anyone's e-mail address that wants them. Just e-mail me at the address in my profile.

I have the procedure for changing out the ported/nonported portion of the hydro. It's in .doc format and it's 15Meg in size. How do I get it posted for everyone's review & comments?

Norm B. I's suggest sending it to Charlie for review. With this dang cold/flu or something bug that I have it wouldn't do me any good to try and review anything right now. (Except a nice warm bed that I am heading for in a little bit.)

None of the manuals that I've seen have a good blow-up with which to reference to. I used the 1811, but doesn't show the springs which explains why the unit is held off 3/16" when you bolt it up and doesn't show the crosspin. The 782 shows the springs, but not the crosspin, and is a really poor quality illustration for use in a procedure. Neither the Sauer-Danfoss or the Sunstrand manuals show everything, but they do include the crosspin. It would be nice if we had a good quality blow-up showing everything, a lot less confusing.

Anyone know of any?

Norm B. I just sent you an e:mail that should provide you with ALL the answers that you need. NOW.... literally have ALL the serial number and model numbers of all the hydros that you have been taking apart. Be specific with what you ae asking for. THEN..... keep us posted as to the help that I've now provided you. Did you take a LOT of pictures BEFORE and DURING teardown to use as a reference? Pictures taken after teardown just show parts.
222208.gif

Norm B. Another thing is that ANY company makes updates to their product and in this case if there is nothing mentioned then the parts more than likely interchange without any problems. Have you literally requested from a Cub Cadet dealer a Cub Cadet repair manual for BOTH (or ALL) the different hydros that you are using to make your one good one? Perhaps within the contents of thoe different manuals will be your explanation.

Everyone have a wonderful day.
222215.gif

Marlin,

Charlie hasn't released the procedure yet for review. Already I see changes that I want to make when the review is out, but I think I have included everything, at least, for this exercise.

Everyone's been telling me that all Cub Cadet hydros are basically the same and, what I've seen so far, they are. At least for the sake of this disassemble/reassemble procedure.

I will send an email to your guy requesting from him an accurate clear exploded view of this hydro, showing both the springs and the crosspin with which I make reference to in the procedure.

Norm B. I received the same e:mail from my contact gentleman that you did. I took the time to put you in contact with him because I feel that you didn't realize or remember that as with any product a company is constantly striving to improve their product even if they've made the same line for over fifty years. (Remember for the automotive industry to introduce the same model as a new model year that one third of the vehicle must be changed. This is why you see blue interior lights one year and the next they may be orange on cars and trucks. Even within the engine from time to time the location of the oil pump will be rotated ever so slightly so as to help qualify the new model year. I know that one from first hand experience.) Please be sure to give him credit for his contribution and knowledge in your writeup. Be sure to explain as he did what you should be looking for when inspecting the parts, etc. Remember that ALL pictures need definitive descriptions so that everyone will easily know what they are looking at. While writing a Standard Work Procedure keep it informative, packed with information using as few words and pictures as possible and yet precise enough so that even a novice understands what you are telling them.

Donald T. since Norm B. is doing only a non to a ported conversion writeup would you please do a COMPLETE TEARDOWN AND REBUILD writeup on your next hydro rebuild.

Y'all have a great day.
222249.gif

Back