• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub Cadet 1641 GT replacement engine

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschiefer

displayname
Douglas L. Schiefer
Bought a 1641 GT about 3 years ago, had 347 hours on it so it seemed like it had a lot of life in it, plus it was in excellent condition.

Two things:

Second one first, it has a 48" 190317 GT deck on it which is not shown in the book as an option. I cut 3 acres of mixed good grass and other green stuff, plus use it to haul wood, and other chores as I have a few acres of wooded land, and a long lane.

First, in my opinion the tractor is underpowered, especially with the 48" deck. Last year at the start of the cutting season when the grass was thick it started to smoke after about an hour of heavy cutting. Would allow it cool down awhile and it was okay to go back at it. Later in the year when the grass (or weeds) do not grow that thick it worked fine, would cut for 3 1/2 hours with no problems. Was using some oil but not excessive.

Well this year it gave out, cut about a half hour and it just went into white smoke mode, thought I was fogging for bugs. Engine runs but can not see for the smoke, which is all white.

Sorry for the short story, but can anyone provide me some options on an engine replacement of higher hp that would not require excessive modificaton. The tractor is still in excellent condition as although I use it alot, I take care of it, plus I am cheap.

Hours on engine are now about 460. I do not want to rebuid this engine and have same problems with being underpowered.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Doug

Douglas, an 18 or 20 Magnum would be an excellent choice. They lug well in thick grass. I believe a better choice though would be a Kohler Command of 18,22 or more HP. New ones are pricey, but good used ones can be found very reasonable. They were used by lots of brands other than Cub Cadets too. I paid 350 for a 2185 Cub Cadet that had smashed tinwork. I kept the 18 Command and got most of my money back by parting out the rest. Your 1641 has a Briggs in it. I believe they have some higher horsepower motors too.

Appreciate the response.

Yes, found a dealer on the web with a huge selection of B&S engines that may fit but would need the rear drive coupler as they are mainly made for general commerical use.

They are pricey, and new Kohler even more so, some going for $2,400 - $2,900, for that I can purchase another used 1864 which my deck and other parts would fit.

Found a 24hp Honda on eBay that has a larger shaft which should mean I would have to buy a new pto and maybe a longer deck belt. Is that correct, or are there other changes I would have to make?

Like the idea of looking for a damaged machine to swap the motor, time is running out on me, sun is out this week and grass is growing, will have to borrow the neighbors brush hog in a few days.

Thangs, Doug

Douglas, In those pretty boxes up above are sponsors. Give RF Houtz a call. Ask for Rob or Skip and tell them what you are in need of. They may have a good used motor on hand. They will box it up and ship it your way. Good Luck

Back