• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cub Cadet 1000 - Noisy Clutch

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanKanfoush

I have a 1974 Cub Cadet 1000. I have started noticing a lot of noise from the clutch. If I put my toe under the clutch peddle and pull it back the 1/4" it seems to be sagging from full off everything gets quiet. I took the covers off for a quick look at it wasn't obvious to me of there was an adjustment or if there is a bad throw out bearing or something like that. The clutch seems to work fine, just noisy.

Is there and adjustment or a rebuilt kit for this clutch?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

There are tons of rebuild kits/parts out there. Try our board sponsors- but MTD still sells everything you need to fix it. It's probably a bad T/O bearing, but also check the crank end bronze bushing. Also. there are three small clutch disc anti-rattle springs that were there originally, but most guys think they are a waste of time to put back in. Check to make sure the driver pins aren't wore excessively.

I have started looking around online, the throw out bearing must be made of gold, $82!!

It seems like there might be a cutoff on which clutch parts I need based on the serial number. I have no problem buying a complete kit and rebuilding it all, 50 years is a pretty good run. Time to treat her with some new parts.

My serial number is 2050055U533879 Does anyone know the specific rebuild kit I would need?

I bought a kit and pulled my clutch this morning. I went to use the press at work to compress the spring. I just got back to the house and am ready to put the clutch assembly back in. I just found a roughly 1/2” steel ball under the back of the tractor on the garage floor.

Where did that come from? LOL

It came from the rear coupler.
Make sure it goes back in there.
\It is used to center the shaft in the coupler.
Part #22 in the pic

1687631133332.png

All back together and everything is working well. The original noise that started all this is gone. Luckily I had access to a press and a mill at work to make up a tool to compress the clutch spring so I could drive out the roll pin. Not sure how you would do it otherwise.

Thanks to everyone who offered information and advice.

All back together and everything is working well. The original noise that started all this is gone. Luckily I had access to a press and a mill at work to make up a tool to compress the clutch spring so I could drive out the roll pin. Not sure how you would do it otherwise.

Thanks to everyone who offered information and advice.
I removed the spring on my 582's clutch/driveshaft assembly with the use of a heavy duty bench vise. Removing the spring was quite easy, with the driveshaft firmly in the vise, I simply drove out the pin on the end of the spring. Installing the spring was also quite easy. With the driveshaft assembly firmly in the vise, I used a small heavy duty screwdriver installed about half way on the unloaded spring, then rotated the spring until there was clearance to drive the retaining pin back in. Once the pin was in all the way, the screwdriver was wiggled free. It was very easy and did not require a bunch of BS to get it done.

Latest posts

Back