• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Crankcase Breather WARNING! (maybe)

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bproctor

displayname
Bob G Proctor
I have a 2184 with a Kohler Mag. 20 (rather my buddy has but I work on it so much it might as well be mine).

Removed the air filter and noticed A LOT of oil was getting sucked through the crankcase breather hose and into the filter/carb. I removed the CC breather cover and saw that the original (think it's original) RTV had failed and was allowing pressurized oil from the sensor side to pump into the breather side. There is a tiny vent/drain hole in the breather side so it basically forces oil to come through the breather hose instead of just air. Not sure if sensor stops engine if pressure gets low enough or just activates dash light. Could potentially suck most of oil out of crankcase.

I see two problems with this: If the pressured oil is escaping then the engine parts are receiving less oil.
The engine is burning oil which causes carbon build up. I recently removed the heads and they had a lot of build up. Piston, valves, cylinder dome were all covered with thick carbon.

Installed new breather mesh and a new gasket. working on paver patio now. Will post when assembled and running. Any thoughts??

The KT series and Magnum series both had service put out replacing the original crankcase "valve". The original OEM "valve" was a circle rubber button that flapped open and close with the pressure difference. This rubber piece hardens in the hot oily environment and themselves fails.

The replacement memo calls for and upgraded "valve" that is a brass tab. It's about $15.

The Mag 20 in my 2072 had terrible oil from the crankcase into the carb when I got it. In fact I got it for free cause PO was convinced it needed a rebuild. I brought it home, swapped the $15 part and have been mowing grass oil free for 2 summers now. And the great Ol' Cub just turned 1200 hrs yesterday. And still starts every single time it turn the key.

Kit no 196-422-100 was for the 782/782D, 1711, 1811, and 1812. There was a service bulletin CC-086
Kit no 196-423-100 was for the 982, 1912, and 1914 tractors. There was an update under service bulletin CC-027

Google the service bulletins for more info.

Good post, Nic. Very informative.
thumbsup.gif

Nic: OK, I did a search on Google for "IH Service Bulletin CC-086" and came up with a link back to this site regarding a power steering kit for a Model 782 dating to 2008.

[Begin Quote]
By Myron Bounds (Mbounds) on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 09:21 am:
Roland, Kraig...I've got CCC Bulletins 86 & 87 also if you need them.

The 782 P/S was a retrofit in 1986 after IH died and CCC was putting P/S on both Garden & SuperGarden tractors. Won't be too many 782's out there with it.

Myron B

By Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos" (Kmcconaughey) on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 08:55 am:
Ron K., if possible I would like a copy of those too. TIA :) email is in my profile.

By Roland Bedell (Rbedell) on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 06:04 am:
Ron K:

Now that is interesting. Never read nor knew of such a kit(s).

If you would please, send me copies of those Service Bulletins. My E-mail address is in my profile.

Thanks,

By Ron Keithley (Rkeithley) on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 09:18 pm:
Cub Cadet did offered a power steering kit that was dealer installed for the late 782. It did not use the same parts like the power steering used on the later super garden tractors. It was offered when the later 782 CC were being produced up to the 1811 and 1812 CC. I remember putting several on 782D's and 1811's when I work for IH.

The kit no's are
Kit no 196-422-100 was for the 782/782D, 1711, 1811, and 1812. There was a service bulletin CC-086
Kit no 196-423-100 was for the 982, 1912, and 1914 tractors. There was an update under service bulletin CC-027

I have the service bulletins but can not find the instructions for the kits right now. I know I have the instructions some were as I have most CC publications from the beginning of CC till 2000
This was talked about over on the other Cub site and I don't remember who, but some one over there had a tractor with this power steering.
[End Quote]

However, when I go into the Manuals section, where "Service Bulletins" are posted, I don't find IH Service Bulletin either CC-086 or CC-027. It would be really nice if one of the moderators would post Service Bulletin CC-086 and CC-027 in the Manuals section which is a place any interested party could find them --hint, hint.
cubwinker.gif

If someone could e-mail me a copy of said Service Bulletins, especially CC-086 (since I don't own a 982), I would appreciate it.
smile.gif

In the meanwhile, I guess I'll keep searching.
dunno.gif
1a_scratchhead.gif

is this oil breather issue the same for the KT17?
Or is the foam in the Valve cover the whole 'sophisticated' assembly?

Tony, yes.

Jeremiah, interesting results from your search. I have have those service bulletins and part numbers saved on my phone since I bought the parts because I new I would never find it again.

I remember taking those part numbers to the small engine place and ordering it in. Weird that your finding power steering info. I'll look back into it.

I did a search of my archives and did not find the service bulletins. Not sure if I ever received them...
dunno.gif

Finished patio! Need to complete landscaping around it but that will wait a few weeks.

As far as I could tell there wasn't any issue with the CC breather valve. This engine has a steel reed valve type with a heavier steel "keeper" (?) stoping it from opening to far. I replaced the mesh and the gasket. The new gasket is much better. The engine has ran about 6 hours now and no oil in air filter area. Unfortunately I gave all receipts with part numbers to my friend along with the tractor. So far, problem solved!

I've had this breather part for the Mag-18 in a 1872 sitting on the shelf for quite some time and decided to finally take the time to install it.

I didn't get any pics during the install, but here is a comparison of the parts. This is the business side:

287615.jpg

You can see how the new part as a metal reed valve.

Here is the top side:

287616.jpg

Finally, no wonder the inside of the air-cleaner was always dripping with oil. The rubber baffle was COMPLETELY GONE from the original part!

287617.jpg

My bad, I often forget who post last by the time I scroll to the bottom. My brain said it was Mr. Plow...

Thank YOU good sir... Those are the parts I've been describing. I hope your comparison makes it to Kraigs vast archive.

Latest posts

Back