• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cold starting

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stritle

displayname
Steve Tritle
My red 782 always started like a champ in all tempratures. My new yellow one, however, takes a bit of work to get to fire up when temps drop below 20 degrees (or at -1 like this morning). What might I need to do to help my cold firing?

Thanks.

How's your battery? My 782 didn't start very good when it was cold but after i replaced the battery it made a huge difference. Yesterday at about 15 degrees it took about 7 seconds to start. The 1811 has a harder time starting but I need to replace the battery on it. How's your plugs? Maybe points are due for a change?

Good Battery, good grounds - especially at the rear fender connection, good starter (some of the old ones can get weak, full of carbon/dirt, etc.), multi grade oil (I use 5W-30 or 10W-30 synthetic blend), and a good tune.

I use Autolite 26 plugs in my M18 and KT-17II with good luck.

Another HUGE starting aid is a trickle charger like a "Battery Tender Jr." to keep the battery topped off and warm....especially after sitting a long time between snows.

My M18 fired up on about the 2nd rev. this morning in sub 20 deg. weather, and the KT-17II on about the 3rd rev. at 17 deg this afternoon.

I have a lt 2138 cub, fairly new. It would crank but not fire up. I discovered it had a low cold cranking amp battery, went to wallyworld , found a higher amp battery,, Problem solved!

Turns out she is pissed about the cold weather. I tried starting it last night to get to some things in the garage, and nothing happened when I turned the key. Battery charge is up, lights work, all is well, just won't turn over.

Didn't know I bought a moody one.

Thanks for the info.

Sounds like a connection problem or starter problem.

I'm with Adrian-- Take a look at that starter. Is it noisy or does it seem slow? After I fixed the starter in my 1811 the difference was like night and day...

Back