• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cleaning tanks

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstanton

displayname
Scott Stanton
I was checking out parts cleaning tanks online earlier today and had not realized how much they were! (GASP) So I'm glad I brought this home from work today! I got it from the hospital I work at for like 25 bucks. The motor works and I can put practically a whole Cub in it. I have noooo idea where I'm going to put it yet!!

184222.jpg

Scott S
that is a fine looking tank lol. I would think that you will loose parts in one that size. 5 gal of cleaner and a screen for the top and your all set up. heck you got all kinds of room to let them soak if you have the need . great find Later Don T

I checked out baskets and and screens for small parts at McMasters, they have a bunch of stuff that will work well. I was thinking of some rubber bumpers to do electrolosis but I havent figured out all the details on that idea yet!

Scott---that looks like stainless - if it is, don't use it for electrolysis as the solution becomes poisonous (read through our thread on electrolysis in the Machine Shop)..

Kendall, it is indeed stainless, and that is really good info to know! I wouldnt want kill anyone or myself with that kind of stuff!!

greenthumb.gif

Scott, as Kendell noted you cant use it for electrolysis the way it is. But if you needed a big tank, just line it with a sheet of heavy vinyl plastic and electrodes as usual.

Scott what is that - a hydrotherapy tank??? Hmmm - soak a broken 15U in there and it comes back to life??

Good point on the liner Allen, no reason that won't work!

Kendall, that is exactly what it is. It's freakin huge too! I'm 5'8" and can lay down flat in it! The wife caught me dragging it out of the Blazer and said it was "obscene"!! I think I will have no problems putting a whole Cub frame in there. The maintenance guys at work say it works just fine! Physical Therepy had it sitting outside of thier door for about 3 weeks. The Dietary Director is also the Maintenance Director so it worked out to my advantage! I can put a whole dozer blade and the subframe in there, also did some measuring and can put a QA-42 in there too without any problems!! The Mrs. said I NEED to find a way to get a garage built to put "all my stuff in", because my "hobby" involves so much "big stuff"! Wait till I start doing bigger tractors!!

Allen, that is an excellent idea!!

Scott, you may have to invite a Forum member over to your house in the near future. Kendell noted its a hydro-therapy tank...<font size="-2">(then my feeble little memory kicked in)</font>...didn't one of the members have a tag line "For me its hydrotherapy"...????
I think maybe you got a new friend!
blush.gif

Scott-

Lining is definitly a must but you may want to take it one step further. You probably should line the tank with vinyl or something before you install a waterproof liner to provide cushion. This would help protect the the liner from times when it gets touched by a part or an electrode. If you just have the one liner and were to drop a piece of metal there's no way to tell if you puntured the liner. The water would slow the drop, of course but it doesn't take much metal to metal. Another thought would be a good epoxy paint to give yet another barrier. It would be just another way to insure the ss isn't in the picture at all.

Or you could just get a plastic 55 gal drum and save this tank for sore muscles.

Good luck and be careful....Wayne

I got to thinking about lining this tank. I thought that a rubberized automotive undercoating would be a good way to go. It's easy to apply and I'm pretty sure it would stick to the stainless. I'm not sure of anything else that would work, unless you guys have any other suggestions!
bouncy.gif

What about taking it and having spray in bed liner applied,like in a pickup truck box? Just a thought because that stuff is sure tough to get off if you need to.
bouncy.gif

The spray on bed liner would work great, body men have nightmares over that stuff
roflol.gif
I know a few body men....

Absolutely no reflection on you, Scott, but that equipment looks to be in pretty good shape yet. If it is, does anyone else wonder if this is an example of why our health care costs keep going up?? Again Scott, I'm glad to see things "rescued" rather than sent to salvage yards to be crushed or the landfill (I did it all my working life), so good for you !!!
1a_scratchhead.gif

Put it on blocks fill it with water and start a fire under it, a couple of those fancy torches on a stick. You can't buy good times like that for 25 bucks. Heck, go find yourself a blue barrel for rust removal.
happy.gif

You had to know somebody would find this (sorry, Charlie)..
184362.jpg

If one of those barstools was made out of an apple tree u'd even get a pleasant smell out of it for a while.
Years ago a guy I knew did that with an old oval cattle water, once you got the hang of the whole fire thing it wasn't to bad.

Latest posts

Back