• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Changing tires

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tstewart

displayname
Tristan Stewart
I posted in the IH section but didnt get any responses so figure I'd try here. I got an old set of ag tires on wheels for my cub, they need tubes. I have a mini tire changer (harbor freight model) and I cant seem to break the bead. Using my body weight the rim actually starts bending. Is there something I can put on it to help e break the bead? Some kinda trick?

Tristan S Spray water/soap solution along the beads,let them soak ; then remount wheels on the tractor with low air pressure & drive around... just a low cost attempt ! Not the best idea, hard on the sidewalls if U want to save tires.Otherwise U'll need a bead breaker or similar tool.

Well the tire changer I beleive is what your calling a bead breaker. The tire gets clamped down and with a long arm you pull down on a piece that goes up against the bead. The thing is I am putting so much force on it that it is warping the center of the wheel instead in breakeing the bead. I'll try the soap and water and see if that helps. I spent too much on these stupid old rusty wheels with flat ag tires lol! I should have just purchased new ones and used my current rims. After the first time mowing this year I think the ags will work better than the turfs anyhow with all the hills.

My local tire shop only charges 2 bucks to pull a tire off, well worth the money in my opinion. You might give your local guy a try.

Randy

I've never used those new fangled fancy bead
breaker/tire changer thingies. But what has
worked for me is soaking with soapy water
and using a pry/crow bar (the small flat end)
basically pushing between the tire and rim
while twisting the pry bar. Takes time,
after each twist move the bar over a little
and twist then repeat. Instead of trying to
pry a large section away from the rust, you
are focusng more force in a smaller area.
Takes me around 15 minutes to break a
rusted rim from a tire. Well anyway
Good luck
thumbsup_old.gif

My workbench is bolted to the floor - I use a '65 Chevy jack (the old upright style) that has the base welded to the stem. I put the tip of the base on the edge of the bead, the ratcheting part of the jack braced under the bench and let the base push the bead down as I work the jack handle (note my careful
censored.gif
wording here..)

SHAMELESS Plug for IHC here....Dad's old 450 FARMALL had the Fash Hitch drawbar on it. The Fast Hitch was different than ANY 3-point hitch in that with simply moving a pin You could have power down force, enough to lift the whole rearend of the tractor off the ground. Really stubborn tires & wheels would not resist the close to 8000# that tractor weighed when a 4X4 or 6X6 block was placed between the stubborn tire and the drawbar. Great Bead Breaker!
That same down force & wooden block also made adjusting rear wheel tread on the 450 a snap when mounting the cultivator.

Latest posts

Back