• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Camper....

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dennis F

I run a few over because some times its nice to push the skinny petal and go insteed of pulling.Just love to pull out( Safety first) and pass a rig like mine and bigger lol, I allways smile and wave lol.If they put a Cummins in a ford (
1a_scratchhead.gif
) For the better seats ,I would look at that.I have added a (torque plate)( 10) they saw from 160 stock to 300 hp and safety minded a proyo gauge for exhaust temps at the ehaust man temps before the turbo .This gives the skinny petal all the controlls to work that 5.9. Cummins. Diesels do have higher out put of HP per charge.In the am I will look at a 3500 4x4 5.9 Cummins std with 170 K for $5000.00and put it behing my shop for a conversion to a pulling duity. I want 22 mpg at 65 on cruse. Here is a great resource for the Diesel ,wanting to know for the towing guy http://forums.dieselpowermag.com/index.html

I found all I needed there to get more than 160 HP for under $100.00,300 hp in a 6 gives mass torque as you know and untill my mac install the pryro gauge I wont move the torque plate ahead.400 hp should pull and MPG are the best, 23 pulling .Read up and see that if you pull own a Cummins..Blame this on Frank C for being 9 hrs away and Cubs are heavy lol.

PAUL - IF FMC had built a decent F150 with that 4.5L PSD I might have bought one. For what I've done with my 7.3 F250 an F150 PSD would have been fine for about 275K of my PSD's 298K miles.

There IS another V-6 diesel out there that has never been put into pickups. CUMMINS designed & built prototype V-6 & V-8 diesels about 6-8 yrs ago, similar 4.5 & 6.? L discplacement. But with the new emission reg.s it probably never will be used. Last I heard Dodge was going to offer the V-8 in Ram 1500's, maybe even the V-6 in a Dakota.

Most of my driving experience has been behind V-8 Cummins engines, 555 & 903. Comparing a 208 HP 555 & Allison 5-speed to a 165-6 Cummings with a 5+4 isn't fair as is comparing a 320 HP 903 to a shiny 290 & 10-spd Road-Ranger. Yes, the V-8's burned more fuel, but also made more HP and ran away and hid from the little 6's. With slightly different gearing the V-8's could have gotten as good of MPG. Not fair comparing a 5-speed A/T to a 20-speed manual, or a 6-speed to a 9 or 10-speed R-R.

Wife's car is a '03 Mountaineer w/4.6L & 5-spd A/T. I have a hard time getting 18 MPG, but she gets 19 or better commuting across town to work on the Beltline. She got 22 or 24 drafting behind My PSD & trailer hauling the M home 4 yrs ago. If the trailer had been a little longer I could have hauled it home! ;-)

DON T. - I'll check that site out. Except for my straight pipe exh. my PSD is pure stock down to the pleated paper air filter element and the factory flattened down pipe from the turbo. Tough to justify hop-ups at this late stage when I only drive it a thousand miles a year. Plus I've kept it stock so I don't have to run an extra bunch of wires & tubes or pressure lines thru the firewall into the cab.

It costs more to hop-up a PSD, and there's only so far you can go without spending thousands of $$$$. The '74 Diamond-Reo ready-mix trk I drove had a 208 HP Cummins 555 & 5-spd Allison A/T, it was kinda slow but still much better than the '66 White with the 165-Cummins. My stock 7.3 PSD would actually have been an improvement! That Diamond-Reo weighed over 52,000# loaded, My '96 F250 about 6500# empty. It would be nice to get more MPG but I really don't need any more HP.

Dennis, I could get a Cummins in a new Ford, but would have to move up to a F650 or F750...that would be great setup for pullin' a 5th wheel.Or maybe a 300 HP CAT. I'm not ready to invest in more depreciation. Just dreamin' about makin' the next PD.
Shift.gif

PAUL - I got to the point about 6-7 yrs ago, before the really high fuel prices where I talked to the truck salesman at the dealership just EAST of Waunakee on Rt. 19. I was looking at a lo-profile 4300 so I could get a DT-466, extended cab, 7 or 8 spd, pair of bigger fuel tanks, lots of chrome & polished stainless steel & aluminum, air-ride seats & rear suspension, flip-forward hood. I really hated to give up my 18-19 MPG & 4WD.

It's pretty amazing how specific you can spec out a new International truck. A landscaping co. ordered a pair of matching lo-pro 4200's and when I measured them they were about TWO inches too tall to fit in my roll-up shop door!

But your absolutely correct, the annual depreciation on a truck like that buys a LOT of fourteen year old PSD parts. It was going to turn out to be more $$$ than a new Super-Duty, I stopped making check-marks on the option sheet when I got to around $70K. And I hadn't even got to pricing any type of bed or body for it.

Dennis Frisk

If I could buy the truck I would like to own, it would have to have a 5.9 cummins.I just added a number 10 torque plate for 300 from 160 stock hp, and for $100.00 but then came exhaust $1200.00 409 stainless duals and 12" long 5" tips brushed. next was cold air kit at $654.35 lol. But the last two trips I got great fuel mpg.
My tuck with my fiver total on a big scale is 7100 Kg and thats 15656 lbs ( weight kg to lbs I used 2.205)I shipped to China and that was the formula I used.I will leave here in the am and travel 68 miles one way and return and will check the fuel used and see if cold air kitis worth the $$$.My truck sound like a train lol. Valves have not been set for 8 yrs so I`am going thursday to Cummins in the city and have them adjusted.Before I try to make any more HP and torque with the second gen I will have the head bolts removed and studs added. That will hold 800 HP and lots and lots of torque.I`am trying to get the truck ready for my wifs retirement,so we can travel for at least 1 yr.Summer Canada and I can winter in Texas with the fiver. might have to get a pusher.
old.gif

(no spell check in the shop
shhh.gif
)

DONALD - Guess I've had to WALK home or call for a ride when my little Cum-a-Parts couldn't make the trip. Most cases actually due to the company's lack of maintenance than design problems with the engines themselves. There were several times where I had to hunt up a shop 500-600 miles from home to get repairs done, almost missing pickups, etc.

My Cousin & His Son used to pull their Dodge 4WD P/U's in local truck pulls. Not sure what actually happened but my Cousin had the crankshaft break in his 5.9L. He also used it to pull a BIG 5th wheel livestock trailer every day so it didn't owe him much.

Years ago when I was driving it took 855 or 903 CID to make 300 HP, now they can make 350-400 HP with 359 or 408 CID. But towing 75,000-80,000 pounds with 300 HP you have to drive FLAT-FOOTED", and use all the gears you have.

Because of the way I spec'd my '96 F250 out, manual 5-spd & 3.55 gears it's only rated to 16,000# gross, truck, trailer, cargo & passengers. But with 4.10's & the 4-spd E4OD auto it would be rated 20,000#. When I hauled Dad's '51 M here four yrs ago I "Axled-out" the truck & trailer on a free BIG truck scale. I had WAY too much tongue weight where I had the tractor tied down the first time, soon as SON & I parked the truck/trailer We moved the tractor BACK about 4 inches and it was PERFECT according to the scale, and it pulled MUCH better. I have pic's someplace of the truck/trailer sitting on the scale and you can see the readout @ 16,800 or so without SON & I in the truck, so we were about 17,300# on the road. Even stock I could accelerate up hills without problem. The Interstate entrance ramp I got onto I-80 at was uphill for over a half mile and I was doing 65 by the top of the hill. It was TOO much fun listening to the turbo whistle thru the straight pipe or I might have been able to get better MPG's.

Haven't pulled my travel trailer in over a month...probably won't again 'til October. A month ago the wind moved my 36' travel trailer sideways 3 feet... Amazing, bent both front <font size="-2"><brand new></font> leveling jacks, no other damage. The jacks were on the camper for 1 week - I did use them one time!

Here's what I pulled this past weekend, and will pull again next month and again several times next summer. My daughter is in front, she was crowned Miss Congeniality! Yes, the Powerstroke was up to the task, it performed perfectly.
195878.jpg

VINCE - I've never pulled a parade float with my PSD but have pulled a couple many yrs ago. One was with a big Simplicity garden tractor like Kraig's O/T Allis-Chalmers. My Sister and our full-grown St. Bernard dog, MACK was on the float, theme was something about a Swiss Beer garden. MACK liked all the people & attention MUCH more than anyone else. His tail never stopped wagging.

Then there was my High School Sr. Class float. I was never much into the whole Homecoming ordeal, but it was kinda neat walking into the town's JD dealer and saying "I want that BRAND NEW JD 4320 sitting out in front!". Guy I told that to recognized me but didn't really know me... Finally one of my Buddy's who worked at the dealership half days came up and got me the keys, etc. I had a BLAST bombing around town all night on that tractor with my Buddy's riding along. Local LEO's didnlt much care for me running thru downtown but I did have all kinds of lights & flashers, plus the SMV emblem which made me almost legal.

Back from Vacation camping with the wifey.... A lot of Brador's were sacfrificed....
196192.jpg

196193.jpg
(for Don T)

Before I left, I painted the last of the yellow parts, and placed a wet coat on the front axle, and fenders, while touching up the frame where I had scratched it... Used the TSC Valspar with hardener, thinned so it flows nice.... the Gloss was way better than when I painted them in the spring... Time for assembly
196194.jpg

196195.jpg

Back from the Glen. there was a lot of nice cars, the marque for this year was Alfa-Romeo, (100th anniversary). We ventured into the village to watch the parade lap on the original public road race course used before they built the track.
The first winner of the Glen race, actual car..
213231.jpg

213232.jpg

Chapparal

213233.jpg

213234.jpg

Parade lap at the track
213235.jpg

1957 'cobra' 57 300 sedan dropped onto Mustang cobra underpinnings... very nice...

213236.jpg

213237.jpg

Camping at Finger Lakes National Forest nearby after the races ended. Smallest Nat'l forst in the USA, and the only one in NY...
213238.jpg

213239.jpg

New CobraJet stang... this sounded nasty!!!
213240.jpg

There were interesting homemade pit-carts there,perhaps a cub cadet version should be in the works...

Scott Tanner... 149 knucklebuster..
Wish I could have been there. Had a Commet with a 289 hp 4 speed convert.And a GT 500 and sold them all . I have to take the wife this weekend for our 35 AN camping.I don`t mind lol because I get to haul the fiver also.Its a get away and stress remover for us,and we always have wine and great food .Dang there is only September and October around here that there is a place open to go to.I`am installing 4 PS 2200 1200 series 232 AH 6 volt and a so pannel on the top. Should be able to run the fiver for a few days lol on that guice.looking at a 3500 wat gas generator by Yamhama that has remote starting and you can add to the exhaust to make it verry quiet. I have a few plans for my trip to have ready. Life is good if you do IT when you can.

Scott, cool stuff! Thanks for the photos. Did you get a photo of the pit-cart?

Don, at our family hunting cabin we have a Yamaha generator with remote start. I sure wish we would have put an hour meter on it when it was new back in 1999. I estimate it now has close to 2000 hours, if not more, on it and it still runs great. I'd get another Yamaha gen set in a heart beat. Ours is a 6200watt (I think) gasoline powered. When we replace it I'd like to go with a LP powered one so we don't have to haul gas cans all the time. Not a good photo but here's what it looks like. Photo taken just a week or so ago over Labor Day weekend.

213250.jpg

Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos"
I have 2 hondas for sale and the price I got was till Dec 31 for the 3000 wat gen. I will have a remote gen for the fiver for next year. I will mount it in the box and have a second cord to plug in . , for the gen. Thanks for the good info as I ahve done some looking and this is what I found for a gen that has a bring back war. I grind my beans and use a coffie make in the am, all I need to get going.I would Love to start the genon back of the truck and make coffie and turn it off also. I`aqm spoiled
old.gif

No pit cart pics, although there was one made out of 2 electric scooters, and a beer cooler.... woo-hoo!!

Don, we like to 'bushwack' camp w/ the RV (BTW, I did 12 years in test as a scoutmaster in the rain and snow, so no 'pansy-camping' jokes...) I don't need electric or hookups... We find state land and set her up... Had to deal with a 2 year old POS wally-world battery that had a dead cell.... Grrr. Got home and put in the 8 year old Motorcraft battery out of the below Exploder Sport Trac in the camper... works great...

I have a Coleman 1800 generator to chage batteries up, kinda noisy, but heck, it was free... New Yamahas are way quieter than the old gold standard, Honda... can hardly hear them run...

Kraig; Some of the Generators can be changed over to L P with a kit. I seen this in a manual from a gen. Don't remember the brand.

Luther, you are correct. I seem to recall that Yamaha had a kit to convert the one we have but we prefer to keep it more portable. When we make the switch to a new generator it will be a stationary one not a portable one like the one we have. At that time we will also make the switch to LP.

ALL this talk of generators reminds me of the first family week long fishing trip we did 20 yrs ago up to the Gold Mine Resort in Ely, MN. Think that was the name. My family was in my '87 F150 4X4, had all the canned goods for a week's fishing trip for 15-16 people, the short box was FULL. My Father-in-law towed his 17 ft fishing boat behind his Town Car. I was "Rock Crawling" down the logging road idling in low gear, the Creeper low gear in the NP435 tranny, wondering how and WHY and IF my F-i-Law drove his car & boat down this same trail. The crawler tread imprints from a CAT D-7 were rattling my teeth!

No power lines anywhere around, so we listened to a two-cyl. Duetz engine run the generator 24-7 for the whole week. Good fishing though!

Back