• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Cadet Spirit of 76 information

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmcshane

displayname
Ryan McShane
I have recently run into the opportunity to buy a pretty rough Spirit of 76 Cadet. Having only the bigger Cub Cadet Garden tractors, I really don't know a whole lot on the Cadets. What should I look for on A SO76? I realize that the steering wheels and the steering wheel caps are NLA and very hard to find if possible. I assume these are Briggs engines...I looked through the old posts here and got a little info on them, just wondering if anyone has one or uses one on a regular basis.

My Dad has always thought the red white and blue paint scheme was neat on them, so I'm thinking about buying it and refurbing it for just a show piece (and to mow, since it has a deck). Only if I can get it bought though! Any information or experiences would be helpful. Thanks.

Ryan, I have one. It's gets occasional use to mow the lawn. It has a replacement seat and a non-correct Tecumseh replacement engine. Not sure what to check for. The lower front of the fiberglass hood is a weak point.

252653.jpg

252654.jpg

252655.jpg

I, too, have one. The SO76 was the standard IH Model 76 that IH gussied up in red/white/blue for the 1976 American Bi-centennial. The SO76 was produced for sale only during 1976. The seat should be white. The steering wheel should also be white...watch for that little ole white steering wheel center cap ...impossible to find.... Decals are available. Original cost $999.00. Weight @ 400 lbs. Paint: Red = IH 2150; White = IH 935. They are very very scarce! I say buy it.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Thank you all for the information. Unfortunately this guy sounds like a scammer so I didn't pursue it. It was all torn apart and he told me it was a running driving tractor. Plus it has no hood or front grille (which I dont think would matter too much) But now that I know some info I'll keep my eyes peeled for a nice one. Thanks again.

I should have noted that the serial numbers also will tell you if it was a genuine SO76 when it came off the assembly line. Watch for fakes (easy to do except the Ser#) made from repainted & re-decaled regular yellow/white Model 76's manufactured in other years. SO76 serial numbers are 28600 through 32314.

Myron B

I have a SO76 and had been mowing with it for the last 13+ years until one of the original spindles failed. My dad found it and repainted the frame and fenders, painting the stars on vs using decals. It has been a very reliable mower over the years. I did install a newer engine, but still have the original. I rebuilt one of the spindles a few years ago and had a hard time getting parts then. I still have some new parts. When the second failed I decided to buy a new Cadet lawn mower.
259475.jpg

Bill that is a great looking unit, thanks for sharing and a BIG welcome to the forum

Bill, WELCOME!
groupwave.gif
WELCOME.gif

Good looking SO76. Are those rims dark blue? I like it, gives it a tough look.
happy.gif

My Grand father had the Spirit Of '76 Cadet, as I recall the lawn tractor quite well. I was the first Bicentennial born baby in my county and still could remember him using it. What is difficult to understand is my fathers generation. I frequently hear more and more how these tractors were just tossed out. I cant believe how good it was back then to scrap out machines like these, shame on you guys!

Back