• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Bye-Bye Mercury

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well i figured as much. I always buy a mercury when i buy a car. I like the ability to sale the used car and not trade it in when SHE is ready for a new one. The last one was a 94Cougar XR 7. I still miss that power.

Well, our '51 Coupe is now an orphan.... we were thinking about selling it, maybe we should keep it now??
191796.jpg

191797.jpg

GERRY - Wife's '03 Mountaineer is an orphan, My '06 S40 Volvo is a orphan, well actually a step-child since it's going on as a Chinese brand. Hope FMC doesn't decide to stop building pickups! (like THAT'll ever happen!) Too bad they kicked IHC diesels to the curb for '11, I wish them Lots of Luck with their in-house engine.

We had a similar thread over @ RPM, and most people who had Mercury's were owners of '40's & '50's vintage cars.

I actually thought our '03 Mountaineer had more creature comforts for less $$$ than an Eddie Bauer Exploder...errr I mean Explorer. I will say it's the MOST expensive vehicle I've ever bought, $10,000 more than my truck!

(OT) I guess I'll try signing up for RPM again, they were having problems (and were out of town for a while, I guess)...

We're looking for replacements for the wife's '01 Sportrac now ... I'm getting signs it may be ready for nickle and dime mode... left front ABS sensor is out of spec (drops out at 2 MPH, kicking ABS in on that wheel - wife doesn't like that pedal drop) New sensor lists at $159.00..

Gerry, I know your familiar with electronics and mechanics but, could that sensor prob be as simple as rust dust on the sensor or rust/foreign material on the fingers of the brake disc??? In my career I've had a few headaches with speed sensors like that. Usually something simple fixed it.

Allen:
We're hoping.... gonna put it on the rack tomorrow.. gotta take the entire left front brake assy off to take the sensor out..I see if I need the sensor, I can get a Dorman brand on line for about half what we were quoted today..
Terry: sorry 'bout hijacking the thread..

Sensor was broken where it plugs into the wheel bearing assy...new sensor, $159.00, wheel bearing assy, with sensor, $193.00., vehicle has 125,000 miles on it, we chose the second option (almost like getting the sensor free....). I think that's why the sensors cost so much, they're pulling them out of new wheel bearing assy's.......
bash.gif

Back to the death of Mercury....

GERRY - We had a bad ABS sensor in LF wheel, $225 for repair, I didn't want to mess with it. Then a frt wheel bearing started growling, service tech confirmed LF again. (Must have been a Friday 4:30 PM suspension assembly) Another $325 bill. You got by very lucky!

Discussion about Mercury over @ RPM said there may be "Deals" to be had to clear the lots of new Mercurys. Since there still Fords parts won't be a problem like some discontinued makes.

Latest posts

Back