• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Best Way to Remove Carbon Deposits?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy

Hi, have a 1650 341 AQS. Prior owner rebuilt the motor, I got it running ok, then sounded like a blown head gasket. I pulled the head and it’s full of carbon. Also, there’s a small threaded hole in head near spark plug with a matching hole in the engine tin. What’s that all about?

thanks,

tom

Attachments

• C5AB346E-84EC-4755-A599-004855D9714D.jpeg
    C5AB346E-84EC-4755-A599-004855D9714D.jpeg
    31.3 KB · Views: 271
Tommy - I presume you are referring to the bolt below the spark plug in your photo? (I circled it in red). That looks like a "previous owner modification" to me. Does it go all the way through to the combustion chamber? There should be a couple of threaded holes on the sides of the head that the side tins connect to, but not on top.

I probably know less than you about this, but none of the three heads I've removed (1250, 1450, and 1650) have had a hole like that. But there are some really knowledgeable folks on this forum who will probably weigh in on it.

I can think of no reason for that hole to be there. Some P.O. mod for some unknown reason. Plugging it with a bolt should work okay.

I can think of no reason for that hole to be there. Some P.O. mod for some unknown reason. Plugging it with a bolt should work okay.
Agree with comment and solution. Possibly PO had some damaged tin they wanted to add support to? Not very mechanical, to attach like that!! Maybe was "gearhead" engineer, wanted to measure cylinder pressure? (and didn't know there are "under the spark plug" units to do that). Maybe wanted to add water injection? (also better ways to do that)

Latest posts

Back