• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Best mower with a 50" deck or bigger ?

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, how do those three compare? I'd like to get on a Super with a 60". Right now I've got an 1861/54GT and 782/50C. Mowing about 2 acres,
The 2072 being a CCC has the feeling of a full sized farm tractor with a belly mounted bush hog ....does a great job on smooth terrain due to the deck width missing small low spots on the lumpy areas of my yard. It's basically a 982 with power steering...great on hills also... 1400 hours and still original engine (as I was told by the p.o.
The 2182 also has the problem of missing low spots due to the deck width. .the easy adjust seat and tilt wheel are ergonomicaly Kool......you sit higher up on the 2182 than the 2072 so you don't get the farm tractor feel. ..
1400 hours and runs great with big power.

The 1541 I bought new and has been my GO TO since 1991. ...1150 hours and only failure was PTO clutch and ignition module (hot soak problem).....It came with a 46GT high vacuum deck , but at the present time I have a 50C mounted due to the 46 having some stress cracks where the wheel adjustments mount but a great cut....
I really liked the 46 better as was high vacuum really giving a beautiful cut and when I want to use the triple bagger......

The tractor brakes on the supers really help on tight uphill turns and the 60 decks get it done in a hurry..... actually since I enjoy mowing, I cut the road sides in my neighborhood due to the 60 mowers giving me less seat time on my yard ..(crazy?)

I am working from home as a sales engineer so... I have time!
I would like to offer a counter view to being labeled as someone who hates mowing - can I be the guy who hates trimming? haha! I love cutting grass and I PREFER cutting with a ZTR. I have 10+ flower beds, hills and over 100 trees on my property that I mow around.
1. The ZTR has eliminated my need to string trim around almost everything.
2. I now trim my trees at about 3' and below instead of 5' (ztr's sit a lot lower than my 2182 and 782)
3. in six years I have never had to rake or pickup clippings from the ZTR which I did regularly with the 2182-60" less with the 2182-54" and every spring with the 782 i dont recall the deck size at this point. even though sometimes I had to double cut every 5 days.
4. I went from 6 to 10 gallons of gas per mowing to 3 gallons.
5. Both cub ZTR's are much quieter than the 782 or the 2182 - the ariens is louder than all of them
6. Personal preference - I find the seating position equally comfortable on the cubs ztr and tractor
7. The tractor is easier to service and about equal for sharpening blades.

all that said, if I were forced to have JUST ONE...it would be the 2182 and the 54" deck - the 60 is only for wide very flat areas.

I have a RTZ S with a 54” deck works well for me cutting on a slope you can keep the front tires straight

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 232
I am working from home as a sales engineer so... I have time!
I would like to offer a counter view to being labeled as someone who hates mowing - can I be the guy who hates trimming? haha! I love cutting grass and I PREFER cutting with a ZTR. I have 10+ flower beds, hills and over 100 trees on my property that I mow around.
1. The ZTR has eliminated my need to string trim around almost everything.
2. I now trim my trees at about 3' and below instead of 5' (ztr's sit a lot lower than my 2182 and 782)
3. in six years I have never had to rake or pickup clippings from the ZTR which I did regularly with the 2182-60" less with the 2182-54" and every spring with the 782 i dont recall the deck size at this point. even though sometimes I had to double cut every 5 days.
4. I went from 6 to 10 gallons of gas per mowing to 3 gallons.
5. Both cub ZTR's are much quieter than the 782 or the 2182 - the ariens is louder than all of them
6. Personal preference - I find the seating position equally comfortable on the cubs ztr and tractor
7. The tractor is easier to service and about equal for sharpening blades.

all that said, if I were forced to have JUST ONE...it would be the 2182 and the 54" deck - the 60 is only for wide very flat areas.
Update:::
Spndncash, just finished the backyard on the 2182 , did some thinking about this thread......you are spot on..
A zero turn may have gotten done a little faster, saved on fuel(the wg600 is thirsty), and trimmed closer,
BUT,
I don't think that I could have enjoyed the trip more on any mower.. headphones on to classical rock(not just classic)and my back yard is like a Trans-Am road course with straights, hills, off camber corners , hairpins, and elevation changes .
That 2182 is the Cadillac of (older)Cub Cadets. .I couldn't swing the $9k price in 1991, but now I understand the difference .
I do test customers zero turns after repair ing them on my yard and yes, very efficient...but a grass cutter is basically all they are .... but GREAT grass cutters.

If you hate cutting grass and just want to mow the 3 acres as fast as possible, get some brand of zero turn......
If you have time to actually enjoy mowing, think about a Super Cub or a Cyclops with a 54 or 60 Deck......
The 1863/1864 with 54 deck is a good choice....

My yard is 3 acres and I use a 2182 with 60 Haban, or a 2072 with 60 Haban, or a 1541 with either 46GT or a 50C deck and enjoy every minute ....

My neighbor who also has 3 acres and hates cutting grass, bought a zero turn.....View attachment 137468
Is the muffler on the middle one stock ?

The middle one is a 2182 ( or possibly 1782) they have the kubota 3 cylinder engine. That is the standard muffler looks to be missing the chrome exhaust tip. I have a latermodel version But his is the better version with a steel Drive shaft cover

I believe in the IH days they made all their own decks but never made their own engines. Kohler motors early on, later there were kubota, onan and yanmar engines. I think all the SGT 60" decks were haben units. I don't know who made the 3000 series 60 inch decks... anyone?
I have a last generation 2182 with a 54" deck which works very well. no scalping, good suction and clean cut. I also have the 60" haben which in my opinion is only useful for very flat and smooth yards

if you have a large wide open space then it helps, I have 200+ trees on four acres so I have lots of overlap cuts, circling trees, tracing beds, drive, house etc. when I cut with the tractor I preferred the 54" for maneuverability before I planted all the trees I preferred the 60". I still have the tractor(s) but, now I cut grass on a zero turn with a 50"

There are two different models of 60” Haben for the sgt series. I think the correct model is determined by your output pto pulley size. (Check for the deck to yours on the cubcadet parts & accessories site) my deck is a 190-325-100 my tractor is a model 145-743-100 sn 879006. I believe this is different pulley size from the earlier models that require the other deck like mstewart’s picture shows. Older ones are cub white newer ones are cub yellow otherwise not much difference

Yes, as spnsncash stated, its a Kubota.....this one is a 2182 gasoline 21hp model....
And in my world, a sharp running 18 hp Command or Magnum can haul a Haban 60 deck.....I have an 1882 with 18 Magnum that I sometimes install the 60 deck from the 2072 and works great.....
Just remember a 60 Haban is HEAVY and the use of the tractor brakes is required on uphill turns or on a sideways grade...

The mower I was thinking about buying id a 6 hr. round trip...I asked the guy for pics of the engine and he said ok….well, here it is 2 days later and no pics... so im kinda done with it. Cant believe the bull crap people put ya thru....

I have bought whole tractors to get an option I wanted!
FYI there is a good looking 2182 with 800 hours the 60" deck and 75# wheel weights in palmyra and a 2072 in warrington with the 60" AND front Hydraulics. you could make a lot of people jealous and have both or buy and sell what you run now.

Latest posts

Back