• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 20, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
worthless.gif
1a_scratchhead.gif
Shift.gif
animatedihbear.gif

Harry tell me more about 169 build info

off set tires?

Thanks to Charlie
We have a seat for the 123 . He will pas it along to me . thanks
feint.gif

Has anyone here ever made a cable stop set up for the hoods on the 86-169 series? I though I saw one here before. Would make my own, but I couldn't get to look as nice as a "production" one.

Jeff - I can't do that. I'd have to start a new thread, charge BIG tuition fees, schedule classes, etc. Now if you were thinking about doing something like Don T, Wayne and Howard were discussing, you could come on out and visit me, we could just have a sit down and go over things. Of course I'd have to throw in a few war stories, back in the day, etc. Yup, back in my day kids would just reverse the rims to get that wide offset, but you know you can't do that on a 169 cause the valve stem gets in the way. I guess I'll have to try to put a ciriculum together so some day we can do this.

Tom H - yup, heard of someone making a cable stop for those hoods. For you tho, before providing any recommendations, we need to know how far you intend to thro the hood? If it's in winter with snow on the ground and the hood lands upside down, how far do you think it might slide? Once we get these details we can make some calculations and provide recommendations. Ooh, and since you're in the Windy City area we also need some details on the max and nominal wind speeds so we can determine appropriate cable materials. Now, I've had some thoughts on this before myself and rigged something up attaching to the lift L hook on the engine but it really didn't work well. In the end I decided if the IH Engineers thought it was necessary they would have had one in the parts bin and 2 or 3 more guys on the production line to do the installations, but it ain't there so it's probably not necessary. On the other hand, you could get yourself a little white foam pad with a sticky back, and put it on the underside of the upper grill where the hood touches. Probably do a little good, or you could just keep a small bottle of touch up paint handy.
1a_scratchhead.gif

TOM - Harry's nonsense put aside, yes, I remember seeing a small steel cable hood stop made to hold the hoods from going too far forward here. L-o-n-g time ago, maybe Kraig will be able to find a pic.

You'd have to make it short so when the hood was closed the cable wouldn't get into the PTO or ??? Make getting the length harder. But at least on the 86/169 series there were places to bolt onto the hood. Not possible on the older models.

When I bought my 982, the seller even hauled it home for me, and while I was writing out the check he handed me the Hood Support, little steel part that kept the hood from blowing closed I guess. I guess it was the first thing everybody took off their new CC's back in 1980, and most of them got lost over the years and I have one! It's been handed down from owner-to-owner-to-owner.

My 70 is "hood-less' right now, the base coat/clear coat painted hood is in safe starage in the basement. The 72's hood has the two little dimples on the frt edge from the PO resting the hood forward on the grill casting. I always fold up a shop towel or ??? and cushion it. I remember "wet sanding" that hood sitting in the bath tub full of water with my clothes on to get it "Perfect", I'm NOT going to ding it up.

Harry....all I have to say is im shaking my head an tapping my foot...LOL

Sharing old war stories can be educational ya know...nothing better than the wind in your hair blowing while mowing on your IH Cub right ? Well I can think of one thing better than that...;)

How about figuring out a mod using one of those little sping/air/compression (not sure what they are called) tool box lid supports thingies??

Dave S.

Hey Denis,

I didn't know there even was a hood support. Mined doesn’t have one, the parts look up doesn’t show one. Sounds like a good idea, the hood on my "big" off topic tractor has the same type of dent in the hood from hitting the grill guard the PO installed (poorly) on the loader. What's it look like? I may have to fab one up.

All
Update on my progress with the 982 – much has been done since I brought it home. I discovered the drive shaft had 3/8” of run out, wasn’t sure why. The Hydro was leaking. The steering was very sloppy, almost a half turn of slop in the wheel.

So I pulled the drive shaft and hydro pump to replace the cork gasket. Pulled off the rear cover to clean it out. Put the rear all back together. Discovered that the rear shaft to hydro coupler was shot, the rag joints were not in great shape. The front rag joints were ovaled and the self aligning bushing was no longer one piece. In short the drive line was a train wreck! So I have some parts on order to put it back in working order, going with a U-joint set up for the rear and a custom shaft.

Pulled all of the steering linkage off and ordered new rod ends. The shaft from the box to the yoke was welded up mess on the front, so I think I will fab a new one and get the adjustability back and get rid of the ugly. I’m going to start on the pivot pin and the axel channel next.

FWIW to all that wanted them...

245279.jpg

245280.jpg

245281.jpg

The hood ornament in the second pic is pretty unique. Ole Graygirl wanted to get in on the action. Notice the custom seat??? take the foam away and there is a nice hole from rust.

And all Howard wants done is the steering. It is driving me crazy because I want to tear into it at warp speed with both hands ( but I'm refraining).

Wayne - yup, that sure'nuf is a 169. Someone changed the hinge for the hood. If Tom is reading this you could put a little chain between the engine lift L bracket and the center bolt holding the upper grill to the main hood that also has the J clip on it for the light wiring, but it will probably rattle around when it's in the closed position. Hey, that hydraulic lift handle is leaning a bit. Are you gonna tear into the dash area? And you definitely need to get the hood support plate back in place. The one that bolts to the pedestal and is supposed to have little rubbers on it for the hood to rest on when closed. Otherwise that dash is gonna just crack away. Hmm, red gas tank, never thought of that one. Overall, it looks like a nice clean unit that could be worked back quite nicely. I like it.

Amy - are you shaking your head and tapping your foot in 4/4 time or 2/4 time? What tune is playing? The Yellow Rose of Texas?

KIRK S. - I think I know right where that support is in the shop, but the camera batteries are dead (Darned cheap but expensive imported batteries anyhow!) But I don't have my 982 home now and I've never actually seen the part installed, not sure how or where exactly it attaches. My 982 is an early build, production started July of '80 and I think my tractor was built in August. Part may have been deleted after my tractor was built.

By design, the hoods on the red tractors don't go that much beyond verticle, and something to keep them from slamming shut would be helpful at times, but even without that piece I've never had my hood slam shut.

I had my drive shaft out last spring when SON & I repaired the starter in my 982. The starter drive wasn't popping out to engage the flywheel, needed cleaning. We cleaned 12 yrs of crud out of the engine bay. The whole drive line was R&R'd. Everything looked in good shape. LOT of new parts were put in the tractor just before I got it, and I think the driveshaft & rag joints were some of those new parts. Tractor has less than 400 hours since then.

Wayne-
Nice tractor. I'm sure you'll fix it up good!
happy.gif

Harry-
I'm not seeing that the hood hinge looks replaced. Are you seeing something we're not?
1a_scratchhead.gif

Also, what's the story behind your pre-production, special edition, double-secret, password encripted front wheels?

The parts-lookup shows only one wheel part number for the 1X9's and two differnt wheel part numbers for the Quietlines (which I'm assuming conincides with the change over from 3/4" spindles to 1" spindles). Do you have access to some information stating that there was an "intermediate" wheel prior to the 1XXX models arrival?

Art - the hood hinge on Wayne's temporary 169, is not the piano style used on the 1x8/1x9 series. Looks to me to be from the later QL series which had a bit more beef on the hinge area itself. And you're right about only one part number for the wheel. Since I no longer have a gun and can't shoot you I can't divulge any more details about the super duper secret wheels. It's really one of those things that you have to keep track of bits and pieces until you can finally put the whole story together. I don't know if Paul Bell might have any super secret archive details either.

Hey Denis!

I was wondering where / how such a thing would attach. I don’t recall seeing anything that looked like an placement for a “prop stick”. Never had mine shut on me either, but the hood has been off most of the time I’ve owned it.

I use a bungee cord to hold the hood up in the big tractor as the grill guard prevents it from opening all the way, PITA to get to the battery. I suppose that would work fine, if you got the right length so you didn’t bend the sheet metal from too much tension.

My 982 was built in June of ’80 as I interpreted the S/N (670158) chart. The starting serial number for July is listed as 671878 from the chart. I’ll have to double check my S/N when I get home tonight, must have written it down wrong, or I have a pre-production machine.

Lucky for you, all the new parts installed when you got it. Starting to think mine was the parts tractor for the PO. There are lots of missing pieces / parts, brackets for the attachments, no hood badge, ornament, front heat shield on the engine. The best thing I got with mine is brand new Carlisle turf tires on the rear.

Less than 400 Hrs in 12 years??? What do you use it for?

KIRK - I just mow with mine, but for several years I had a 129 & 44A deck as my prime mowing tractor, just used the 982 for Special occasions. Most of the mowing has been in the last 6 yrs after I sold the 129. I have a big tandem axle hydraulic dump cart I bought 5 yrs ago that it stays hooked up to most of the time when it's home. The 982 is the only tractor with a spare set of remotes to run it. The cart has a 3000# capacity and the 982 pulls it nicely, although the frt wheels do get a little daylight under them from time-to-time with that big a load.

I'm not a huge fan of the Onan engine, expensive to maintain & work on compared to a Kohler, but they're ALL expensive now days. I can remember when a throw-out bearing for a GD CC was $12-$15, now they're $50. Parts were high priced it seemed back in the mid 1980's, and then they seemed to get cheaper, now they're getting REAL expensive again. And scarce for the Onan. My local CC dealer laughs when I ask about engine parts for the 982. I get most of my Onan parts from my local JD dealer, the early 420's used the B48G engine, or I order from Onan.com.

I'd been looking for an 1872 or 2072 for 2-3 yrs when I saw this 982 for sale at a Labor Day tractor show. I bought it the next night. I'd only seen 2-3 18/2072's for sale in all that time and two of them were in rough shape for their age, hours, and money, the other one I was bidding at a farm auction against an equip. scalper and he had MUCH more money than I did so stopped bidding. But I made him pay a decent price for it.

Amy - shakn' your head and tappn' your foot, well I wasn't sure what you meant so I went for the good side. I had some teachers shakn' their heads in the past but their foot stomp'n wasn't quite in 4/4 time. I always had to make sure I was between them and the door. Thanks for the link to Craig Morgan's song.

Daniel G - hey your 147 is pretty nice for its age. Seemed to start right up and actually sounded pretty good. Saw a little smoke to begin with but cleared up. I do get a little scared seeing your open toes about the same time as I'm looking at the mowing deck spindles spinning. Those 2 things shouldn't go together.
I don't know the story behind your 147, and i noticed you didn't operate the lectric lift, but based on what I did see your 147 should do you well.

For anyone that would know (Harry)-

Does the 169 have a ground wire from the frame to the s/g bracket as found on 129, 149, etc.? This one didn't have it and there were several PO mods so I'd like to go back with one if it's suppose to be.

Latest posts

Back