• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 20, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill T.
I've seen and had them stuck enough to where I had to destroy the bowl to get it off!
biggrin.gif

I've got a good one for you guys.

I've got a 125 that has always started fine until today, turn the key and nothin!
I checked everything I knew to check and still nothin.

I was about to WALK AWAY FROM THE TRACTOR as my wife tells me to do once and a while, when I jumped the amp gauge post with a screw driver and the sucker fired right up, LOL
Funny thing is, the amp gauge has always worked and still works fine.
I never had or heard of that happening before.
It had me stumped for a while.
biggrin.gif

I've dented a few fuel bowls getting them off

David - Charlie told me that he had one that wouldn't start and he checked "all the good stuff" (whatever that means, I told him to check the BAD stuff!) and like a dummy standing there with a screwdriver in his hand not knowing what to do he stuck the screwdriver in between the amp gauge studs and it started ...

Charlie, Would the 1450 trans bolt up ok the the wide frames ie 149 1200? also is the hydrostat unit alone able to fit into the 147 without problems or is the problem with the diff/trans?

Zach,
Every rear end from every pre 1981 garden tractor with interchange except for the Original.
Wide frame to narrow frame and narrow frame to wide frame.
it's the hookups that throw a snag into things.
To be honest, I have no clue if the 1450 hydro pump sets higher than the 147 or not, I don't think it does, but hooking up the hydraulic lines would be a real PITA, IMHO.

Zach-
In my opinion, the trans and pump will bolt up just fine to the frame of the tractor. You'll probably have to use the driveshaft that came with the 147, but that should bolt up as well.

The part that becomes a problem is that the 1450's pump is going to have hyd-lift outputs on it, so you'd have to either figure out a way to use them, or cap them off or you may have "just a bit" of tranny fluid leaking out.
happy.gif

That said, if you have the old Hyd pump from the 147, just slap that on the 1450's tranny, and off you go!

Got it. Thanks, Charlie. And to everyone else who chimed in. Bowl came right off, once I knew what I was doing.

I grenaded the K161 after nearly 40 years of service in my Model 73. Fractured the connecting rod just above the joint with the rod cap.

Last night, for $125, I scored an allegedly running 10HP K241 (minus carb, muffler and fuel tank) *and* a black (service part?) 12HP K301A (complete, but stored for years with fuel in it).

Turns out that the K301 is going to need a new rod. That'll be a winter project. So I installed the K241 -- with the carb, muffler & tank from the K301.

Turns out that the float needle was stuck/varnished to its seat. Free that baby up & she runs like a champ. All that's left now are a few details -- like shortening the throttle control cable, minor tweaks to mount the fuel tank, air filter, etc.)

I'll easily be mowing by noon tomorrow.

I have a 1450 with a bad PTO clutch. I really don't want to spend $400 for a new one. Is there any other options for a clutch on a 1450? I see lots of other clutches for a little over $100. Can I modify one of these to work on my 1450? Thanks! Steve

Charlie.. Pin in the pto leaver does not lock handle in place.(moves back and forth).How do make this a little tighter so the pto adjustment will be more easly obtained.Pull back and cub will start,but plate is not holding pto clutch from spinning.(pto leaver has to much play) Help Don tanner

Stephen N.
If you want to go the used route I found that the electric ptos will fit the quiet lines and the 82 series. If the ones yoe see in ads look like yours it should work fine.
ihrotate.gif

Hi Don. You will have to repair or replace your engagement handle so it stays put. You then adjust the pto with the turnbuckle on the long rod from the pedistal to the pto.
65341.jpg

We were getting ready for plow day this Saturday(tomorrow) so I took most of the cubs out and lined them up for a few pics. Coco, our chocolate lab decided she wanted to be in the pic.
A 382H,73,72,1000,70,123,1000,122,122,and 149. A 127,109, and 81 decided to stay in the shed. We are bringing the 122, 72, 70, and 1000 to plow day in Montrose, MN.
65347.jpg

65348.jpg

Some of these are not politically correct. The 73 has a 100 front and hood, plus a 12hp in it. The 72 has a 12hp plus newer style fenders. The 2nd 1000 has a 16hp installed with 26x12x12 tires, and a couple other things for tractor pulling. The Black 122, Midnight Express, has a 16hp, double clutch, custom front axle, 26x12x12 tires w/alum rims, and other things. The second 122 was also set up for pulling, std 12hp though, which we got 29hp out of last year.
65349.jpg

Here is a pic of it from this morning.
65350.jpg

Hi, all. I'm new here; just bought my first Cadet on Saturday, discovered the forum on Tuesday and signed up yesterday. What a gold mine of information! I hope I can contribute something along the way.

I dropped the tractor off at the old family cemetery (~20 miles away) late Saturday afternoon: drove it off the truck, into the grass, dropped the mower deck and threw the PTO "into gear". Optimism springs eternal... Good news is that the engine starts easily and runs very well, transmission seems fine. Bad news is, something on the mower deck seems to be frozen up -- all I did was polish up the PTO pulley a bit and heat it up nicely.

It was already getting dark so I didn't get much farther than that. I didn't even pull the numbers off the tractor; I think it's a 122 or 124. But from a cursory look, it wasn't obvious to me how to remove the mule drive belt so I could sort out the pulley and spindle bearings down below. Until I locate a service manual, can someone give me a quick pointer on that? Pretty basic info but I haven't found it in the vault yet.

Aside from stuck bearings, one other possibility is that the tractor is just suffering from shame or schizophrenia: Some PO has painted the entire tractor (except the hood) JD green! Maybe that's the first thing I should fix...

Hi Everyone,

With all the talk about plowing....it seems to be getting tougher for me. For the past couple of years my tractor (100) hangs up on the rear axle. It seems maybe I'm going to deep but at the same time it turns the soil over nice.

It's getting to the point where I'm questioning to do it anymore....because I have to pull her out to often.

Help!!! any suggestions!

Vincent T.,
Pretty impressive herd of Cubs you've got there!
thumbsup.gif

Mark G.,
I think you're correct in thinking that the JD Green is the cause of the problem.....
wedgie.gif

Heck, I'd have trouble just looking at it!
bubbly.gif

Ryan W
beerchug.gif

Ken-tucky: Thanks for the note. 122 No-start 1. I'll check the wire from the selonoid to the starter- disconnect, clean reinstall. 2. Check selonoid- how do I do that? 3. Brushes in generator stuck- again, how to do, couple of light taps with a hammer? blow out with air? I've got no amp guage,so I dont think I can jump it. Could this be a bad ignition switch? Thanks in advance... Dave

Latest posts

Back