• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 17, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charlie, I'm curious and can't tell from the pictures. Does that Model 70 have the rear PTO attachment? Looks like a great find.

Yep, sure does.
299150.jpg

It's amazing that this tire is still holding air after a week, LOL
299151.jpg

Attachments

• 299150.jpg
    299150.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 299151.jpg
    299151.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 117
I just cleaned and replaced the seals only on 3 spindles on a 44A deck. These are the spindles with the tapered, replaceable bearings. The bearings all seemed fine but a few of the seals had broken edges on the rubber part so I just replaced all six.

Now when I tighten the blade nut it puts pressure on the bearings to the point where it doesn't turn as freely as it should. I made sure to put the center spacers back in all 3 as well as the end spacers. I felt these spacers had to limit the amount of pressure on the bearings allowing the blades to be tightened.

Am I missing something here? When I tighten the blade nuts I'm not getting free turning spindles. All of the cups/spacers are back in their original positions. I haven't filled the spindles with grease yet but packed them pretty well when reassembling.

Any help will be appreciated. What is going on here???

That looks a lot like a 100 with a 70 hood on it.....

Steve, looks like a 70 steering wheel. Maybe someone just switched out the engine.

Charlie, looks like with a little TLC you're good to go. You may not have a brake since the clutch pedal has to be fastened down when digging.

Paul F
I agree with Steve, 70 hood/decal on a 100. The early 100's used the same steering wheels as the 70. The air cleaner is for a 10/12 hp engine. I would think that the unit would have been installed on a 10 hp or higher, engine. The later trencher built by Hawk Built (I know, different company and trencher) was advertized to go on 10 or 12 hp tractors.

I'll go check the serial number and engine.
The serial number might be an issue with the trencher stuck on it though.
299153.jpg

Attachments

• 299153.jpg
    299153.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 99
That decal on the groundsaw looks strange as well. It looks more like an H-900 rather than a 750. Look here for the two brochures.

Boy! . . . Did I pick the wrong time to post a question???

Nice goundsaw Charlie. You might start thinking about a national tour for just digging trenches. I'm sure with proper advertisement people would "come out of the woodwork".

I actually hope my question wasn't THAT stupid. I just want smooth running spindles. And I want to know what I'm doing wrong. I've sharpened many a blade from a 44A deck before and haven't yet had this happen. It has to be in the spacers...right??? Will the final greasing make the difference??? If so, do hydraulics play a role here with the grease?

Back