• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 12, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having some electrical issue going on with the 104. I decided to start the K up for its first time in Im not sure how long! As soon as I hooked up the positive terminal on the battery it started cranking away, without the key in it. I think I have a wire crossed somewhere inside the wire harness but I'm not sure. Even with the key switch unhooked it still cranked. I have no power going to the ignition coil and the S/G and V/R are both good. I put a new starter solenoid in it beforehand and had a mechanic friend say that may be bad right out of the box. I would hate to have to tear apart the harness but may have to unless you guys can point me in the right direction! Thanks ahead!

Matt G.,
OK... Thank you for correcting me on my terminology.

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong or not doing that is preventing them from locking together once under power?

These are the same collar/bearing that were on it...so I highly doubt they have the wrong direction eccentric to prevent them from locking..... ??

Ryan Wilke
1a_scratchhead.gif

Scott Stanton,
Double check the + (pos) cables on your solenoid. You may have them reversed.

Ryan, also, note the rotation mentioned in the manual...

169409.jpg

Here's some "before" shots of my 1650 for the archives. I found it in the bushes on the property of a house I recently bought. Maybe one day in a few months we'll have some "after" shots. Restorative work has officially begun. I'm just going to get it into working order first. Once I have all the kinks worked out I'll consider a ground-up restoration. Ordered a couple hundred bucks worth of parts last night from one of our esteemed sponsors.
TTH
wanker.gif

169411.jpg

169412.jpg

169413.jpg

169414.jpg

169415.jpg

Wayne,

To resize a photo, first, double click on it on your computer to open it in a viewer program. Now right-click on it, then select "Properties". The popup window will tell you how large in KB the photo is. You will need to resize it to 100KB or less.

Now close the pop-up window and double click on the photo again. A window will probably pop up asking you what program you want to open it with. Select Microsoft Photo Editor (which comes with any Windows computer). The photo will then open in a photo editor window. In the upper left side, you will see several options above the tool bar. Select "Image" and scroll down until you see the "Resize" option and select it. A window will open which allows you to resize the photo by selecting width and height in inches, or simply by size percentage. The percentage is easiest. Just click the arrow down until you get to the size you want (If your original photo was 250 KB, then you know you need to reduce it to about 40%, since 100/250=.4). Then click "OK".

NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT: No changes have been made to your original photo until you click "Save". If you want to keep the original as-is, you must go back up to the "File" option and scroll down to "Save as". Click "Save as" and a new window will open, which allows you to save the smaller photo under a new name. Rename the photo. This will allow you to save the new size photo without changing the old one and keep both. If you screw up and just click "Save" your original photo will be changed and there is no way to change it back. If you resize the small one back up to original size, it will be fuzzy and low resolution.

This forum restricts the size of uploads to 100kb per item. After you have saved and closed the photo editor, you can right-click on the photo, then select "properties". The pop-up window will tell you the new size in KB of the photo. If it is larger than 100 KB, it is still too large.

Hope that helps!

Kraig McC.,
Thanks for your reply!
thumbsup.gif

10-4. The engine turns/runs in a counter-clockwise rotation. The same as the starter/generator turns it.

The text you provided says, "Lock it (the bearing) in place with the locking collar."

It's my understanding this is accomplished by simply turning the eccentric stub on the bearing into the eccentric bore in the collar in a counter-clockwise direction, the same direction as the crank rotation direction. This would bottom the eccentric out and it should stay put.

Then the text goes on to say, "Lock the collar in place with the set screw and nut equipped."

Well, my collar doesn't have any nut - just a set screw....
1a_scratchhead.gif

Was there a nut on ALL collars or were the early collars fitted with only a set screw?
dunno.gif

Thanks again for any and all help!
Ryan Wilke

Ryan, that text is a carry over from the earlier manuals. On the early Cubs they used a long setscrew and had a jam nut to lock the setscrew in. Overkill, the jam nut is usually not needed, however, if your setscrew IS coming loose, you may want to get a longer setscrew and lock it in with a jam nut. Loc-Tite might do the same job, just don't use the type of Loc-Tite that you'll never get apart.
icon_eek.gif

Kraig McC.,
Ok, thanks.........that explains that.
thumbsup.gif

Yeah, I was thinking I should maybe use some LOCTITE 'blue' threadlocker on the drive pulley hub set screw and the bearing collar set screw.

Sidebar: If I used my Cub in the Winter or wet weather, I think I'd also use the threadlocker on the six clutch set screws as well, just to seal the threads from moisture in an attempt to keep them from rusting in... Hmmm, I have it - I might as well use it there anyway.... why take a chance on letting those 6 set screws from corroding in.

Well, back out to the shed... I'll see if today brings me better luck with that PTO...
construction.gif

I'll report back in with my progress later today, Guys!

Ryan Wilke
beerchug.gif

Back