Archive through September 08, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, the 'i got home and played with it' update.

She started up no issues. Ran for about a minuted and died.

I took off the gas cap, wouldn't start. I pulled the spark plug, and there is spark still.

i have a silly question. the fuel cut off valve, all the way in? all the way out? (neither seems to affect the situation, but the owners manual isn't to specific on the matter)

Jacob,im thinking definite fuel related.if it were me i'd remove carb & clean thouroughly with carb cleaner.

Jacob, Mike is right, it can't hurt to clean the carb and make sure the passages in it are open. After it stalls does the engine sound the same as when it is cold when you spin it over? If a valve is sticking you can hear it in the carb intake or in the exhaust when you turn it over.

Today was disassembly and cleaning day for the K241 in the 102. While the flywheel needed a little help from a MAPP torch to remove, the PTO gave me relatively little trouble, and even the anti-rattle clips were still there.

I got a chance to do some more careful measurements of the bore, and found the gouge from the broken ring was almost .015 deep, so I went ahead and ordered a .030 rebuild kit. Other than the gouged area, the bore was almost good enough to use with a standard sized piston. It's a shame I had to go all the way out, but unless I do, the machine shop won't get it all.

After cleaning and bagging the small internal parts, I went about flattening the head, using a piece of glass and a sheet of 220 grit Wet or Dry. I've noticed that the heads tend to "pull in" near the bolt holes. It can be seen here in this picture, I've still got a little work to do on it, but its better than when I started.

93799.jpg

Jacob
With a can of carburetor cleaner you can prove if it is gas or spark. Remove the air cleaner and shoot some carb. cleaner in when it starts to die, if it is gas you can keep it running with the spray. Quick check.

Bruce "M", The 4 holes in the rear of Lewis' seat are for the arm reast option, and the replacement for the wingnut is a knob that you can get at the local hardware store. It does give it a noce "finished" look.

Bruce,

Wing nut was replaced with a black knob,this was on another 107 I have. Holes in seat are for the optional armrest.
Kraig ,
I purchased these from tractor supply at 33.00 a piece.They are carlyle. nice original looking tires.Seat has a 1" tear in two spots about an inch apart.

Here are some photos of the 125

93820.jpg

93821.jpg

93822.jpg

see yah.

Charlie,
Here is the photo I mentioned during our conversation.
As you can see there is a lot wrong with it.

93831.jpg

SUPER STEER UPGRADE

Was reading the posts and FAQ about super steering upgrade and had some additional questions. What type of wheel and what bolt pattern are used with the 5-lug hubs? Also, how are the hubs mounted to the spindles? Are the spindles threaded and held on with typical axle bolt and bearing cover, or are the wheels held on by a large washer and bolt like the normal Cub Cadet? If anyone has any photos and narrative that explains these issues, it would be something good to add to the FAQ. I know I'm curious.

Thanks,

John-David Reaves Roll Tide

Jacob,
If you have not sone so already, another idea is to unscrew the entire fuel bulb assembly from the tank. A number of times I have had your issue and when I did this, I found a nice pile of rust sitting in the fuel inlet - it slows the fuel flow just enough to cause stalling.

Peter

Lonny, hmmmm, someone put 102 decals on a 104.
1a_scratchhead.gif
Nice trailer. Where was that at?
dunno.gif

Jacob, fuel cut-off you asked about should be all the way out for running and screwed in to shut the valve off. If it's loose, it may be closing itself off and killing the engine when it's starving for fuel. After sitting, enough seeps by the valve to fill the carb bowl, but then when you've used that up again, the engine dies.

Last night after I cut up some firewood I made some more progress on K4K.

93835.jpg

93836.jpg

93837.jpg

93838.jpg

Lewis, good looking 125. Looks like it may have been repainted or at least touched up at one time, yellow overspray on the left foot rest mount. Thanks for the info on the tires.

Hey Kraig

That wild bird food along with all that paper will make a good invite for all the mice looking for a good place to snuggle up this winter.

Tim, thanks for the warnings. The "wild bird food" is an empty bag. I would never place 50lbs of food on a priceless <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Windbreaker cab.
icon_eek.gif
The food is in the "mouse proof" metal garbage can. See that 5 gallon pail next to the rear tire of the Original? That's a mouse trap. There's a pill bottle smeared with peanut butter on a wire, mice run up a wood ramp jump out to the pill bottle, the pill bottle rolls on the wire and drops them into the 3" of water and/or RV antifreeze in the bucket. Works great, mice can't resist peanut butter. When working on the Original I bumped the wood ramp and knocked it down, it's laying behind the bucket in the photo, I'll have to get that put back up. BTW, empty "wild bird food" bags make great shop garbage bags.

93840.jpg

93841.jpg

Kraig,looking.great.things.look.a.bit.snug.in.there.Will.be.a.near.perfect.cub.when.done!
Sorry,my,spacebar,is,dead!!!

Jerry, thanks. It won't be anywhere near perfect, there's already chips in the paint.
bash.gif
I may have made a bad choice going with rattle can paint, on the other hand had I not decided to go ahead with rattle can paint it'd still be in primer. Bummer about your space bar.

"Space Bar" hmmm sounds like a drinking establishment....
beer2.gif
beerchug.gif

J.rry:
.t c..ld b. w.rs. .'v. l.st .ll th. v.w.ls h.r.
1a_scratchhead.gif

Latest posts

Back