• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through September 07, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sblunier

displayname
Steve Blunier "Mr. Plow" (Central IL)
I'm a dumb-a$$...thinking one thing, typing another.......

Obviously, I meant PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventalation) and not EGR........

I guess I should go back and check what I was doing in my automatic bill pay at the same time I was typing that last post......if mistakes are that easy for me to make tonight I may have accidentally sent Charlie my credit card payment........
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

When buying parts for the Cub I just got, should I go to the local dealer for parts or is NAPA just as good? (coil, points that type stuff)

Thanks Joe

Joe W: Kohler parts are the same or the equivalent from wherever... B-u-t at NAPA watch out for the coils. It has to be a Kohler spec coil. Just don't let'em sell you an automotive coil instead (even if it has a resistor in it) 'cuz they ain't the same!! The coils look the same on the outside and unknowledgable(99.9 %) NAPA types do not know the difference.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Thanks Myron, just wanted to make sure I was not getting some bad knock-offs

I've got an unusual question: I've been allowing my 8 year old to drive my 782 around. I limit the speed to no more than a brisk walk and have him practice braking, forward, reverse, back & fill, etc. Anybody have an opinion on when he'll be old enough to mow? He's a pretty responsible kid - he listens and follows instructions very well, even when I'm "not looking".

Thats your call Craig, but thats old enough for a mini bike or go cart

I know - I'm just wondering what other guys have done. He had a gocart and now has a kid sized Honda but neither of those are as serious as the tractor. And I'm trying to hold him off a while...I still LIKE driving my Cub. If I just went out joy riding my wife would call the shrink on me.

Craig...
If it was me, I'd at least install a seat switch to cut the engine if he fell off, and mowing is another issue... A lot of danger there. Newer tractors have blade and engine brakes, and kill switches... JMHO

Craig E: For a few thousand years, mankind has generally considered the age of 12 as the 'age of reason'. They're grown now, but my experience with my three sons came close to that. Your call, but maturity is critical....and even a precocious, well mannered youngster may not yet have the maturity to make wise decisions in an "emergency" quick-what-do-I-do situation....Take care with him...They are too precious not to.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Myron, that is good advice. He's just so anxious to "work" that it's hard to resist letting him but "age of reason" makes a lot of sense. I'm gonna go with that.

CRAIG - Without knowing Your Son it's tough for anyone to advise You properly. I was mowing the barnyard with Our Cub Cadet back when I was about 6 or 7, but I had already "SOLO'd" on Dad's '51 M running the hay rope by then. Dad got Me a miserable old jon deare R diesel to plow with when I was about 11 but I MUCH prefered to run His FARMALL Super M-TA. My Son had problems shifting My 72 when He was about 7 yrs old but He handled the 129 Hydro We fixed up for Him VERY responsibly. My suggestion would be to have Him help You do tractor related projects, like hauling stuff in a cart, etc.

I've got a seat cut-off switch but, still, I think I'll go with letting him drive with the trailer and whatnot for a while longer. The mower is probably too much for him for the moment. Thanks, guys, for the input.

On another note - why are CC coils so dang expensive? $128 for a KT17 coil seems, well, I don't know what but I was shocked. I would have thought they were worth maybe $20 or so. Guess I'm naive.

Craig very good question to ask!! Safety being a number one reason in any hobby. Maturity has a lot to do with it my 4 all started at different ages because of that but size has a lot to do also. They got to be able to reach the pedal (no blocks) and be able to push it down soundly.

All the years as a firefighter and EMT on the ambulance hate to guess how many injuries I worked on especially the "I am riding on Daddy's or grandpa's lap" falling off type.

If you are close and he is a big boy let him. Help teaches responsibility and also the time spent together has its own rewards.

Myself I started with the hay rope and few other chores (plowing) with a B JD at age 8 had to stand up to pull the clutch. At 10 yrs. old I was driving the 300 Farmall full time as a regular farm son.

Pops

I believe I was 9 years old when I finally got to use my parent's Cub Cadet 125. First it was just to mow the lawn then I got to use it whenever I wanted, it didn't take long for me to get it out in the gravel pit just past the barnyard to go diggin'! Sometimes I used to pretend that is was an <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> Scout but mostly it was a Jeep. Spring and fall were the best times because for a few weeks neither the mower deck or snowthrower were mounted, can you say "ground clearance"?
happy.gif

I need help I went to a cub cadet place today and they have no good pictures or info on the clutch. I have a cub 109 and I need to have good pictures on the mechanical clutch assembly and what the 2 set screws on the starter pulley are for is there a keyway inn the starter pully or is it just the 2 set screws.?

Hi would a coil for an international tractor from Tractor Supply hold up on Cub Cadet systems? James

Latest posts

Back