• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through October 15, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaytay

IHCC Supporter
displayname
Home of the Plow Special
Marlin-
Trade for my 140? That must be one HECK of a nice tractor. :)

Denny-
You and I must be "wired" the same when it comes to these off-topic tractors. My first choice is the 140, and second would be a 300\316 (Kohler). They're a HOSS!

Having said that, I'm out of room for anymore tractors, and if I do find space for one more, it will be a Farmall Cub Low-Boy before anymore GREEN tractors.

Good morning everyone, I have a quick question regarding the hydraulic angle kit for the front blade on my 1650. I have the blade, and the hydraulic kit, but no hoses to go to the front ports. I'm wondering if anyone knows what size hose, and fittings I need to connect everything correctly. Thanks in advance for the help.

Denny, others,
I believe the rear rims on the Farmall tractors were galvanized, at least on the Farmall Cub, not cad plated, and the grill mesh on some models was probably the same, although the term cadimum plated is usually the term used when talking about the grills and bolts used on the various models of the cub Cadet.

The 125 runs! Here's a pic from the day I got it and below is a pic of it this morning. I'll hook a plow to it tomorrow!
214860.jpg

214861.jpg

I left part of the wonderful Hydro lift on because I need to move the motor to get at the last bolt.

Art, I'll a give this 125 a spit shine and then trade it for your 140 - we all know you have a secret desire to own one!!!

Well its raining here today and for the next three days they say. I think I will clean the carb on the 147 and work at finding the no-charge issue with the 129 loader.Had to start the stove as the shop was only 54 deg and damp.Have a great day.

Lewis P , your package arrived this am ,, THanks a bunch for the much needed pto parts.
old.gif

ART - Those models share the most in common with CC's. Engines, hydro's. JD did come up with some neat features, the multiple sets of remotes, steering brakes on smaller garden tractors, diff lock, & two-speed range tranny for hydro's on their bigger garden tractors. I also like the idea of the larger "HD air filter" for the 140's, just think it should be tucked out of harm's way a bit better.
I think IH/CC did a better job on interchangability on attachments and attachment mounting.
Suggestion on your quest for a LoBoy, you will like mowing with your SGT better than the LoBoy.

PAUL B. - Two types of galvanize, electro-coat and Hot Dip. Hot dip has the "Spangle", electro-coat looks more like cad plate with the matte finish.

Not positive but I'd assume EWC made the rims for the Cub, I know all my old CC wheels have the "EWC" logo stamped on them. The frt wheels on Cubs of course were always IH red, then later white.

Still be interesting to find an old IH print or "Spec sheet" for rim finishing that would describe when the change from plate to paint happened.

One of the old Sales Engineers from EWC posts frequently on the RPM forum. He actually got word to my sales engineer who I dealt with @ EWC when I was at FARMALL and we exchanged e-mails several years ago. Neither one of those two ever remember ANY plated rims shipping from EWC while they were in Quincy.

French & Hecht also made rims/wheels for IH in later years, not sure when they first started shipping to IH but know it was in the 1970's or before. Everything from F&H was painted, both big rims/wheels from their Davenport plt & small rims/wheels from Walcott, Ia. I know there were subtle differences in the wheels they shipped Fsrmall compared to EWC, only on the dual rear wheels, all other rims & wheels were practically identicle.

If I had to guess, I'd say plating turned to painting around the time the Number series were in production, most likely the 300/400 in 1955 when they switched from deep well rims to double bevel rims. You can tell the difference by the number of holes or spokes in the cast wheel center, 6=deep well rim; 8=double bevel rims. It may have happened sooner or later.

I think the grill mesh on the larger FARMALL's was galvanized, then painted red with the rest of the tractor. It would be interesting if someone was familiar with IH WP enough to know if they cad-plated hardware.

JIM C. - Wanted to respond to your question separately. O-K, You have a 1650, and a frt blade, and the hyd. angle kit, but no hoses for the cylinder to connect to the frt ports on the 1650.

Most ag or construction equip. dealers can make custom hoses, any length and any fitting. Maybe even a local NAPA or other autoparts store, or hyd. service shop. Check the local yellow pages would be best. They're not cheap but normally they're right! I suspect your ports on the cylinder are either 1/4" or 3/8" NPT. You should take the cylinder to where ever you buy the hose to make sure you get the correct size end fitting for the cylinder. Fittings are available in either straight, or 90 deg. and if your supplier is well stocked, also 45 deg. angle. The parts look-up above should have descriptions of what style or angle you should need, I'd think 90 deg. but that's just a guess.

I would suggest using 1/4" SAE R100 hose, which is single wire braid and probably what most ag dealers would use anyhow because it's cheaper but plenty strong, and it bends tighter than 3/8" hose. I would switch out your female couplers on the frt of your 1650 for Pioneer 4000 series, they're 3/8" NPT female and screw right on and they cost WAY less than the male ends to fit the couplers IH installed on your 1650. Buy the male ends to try in your couplers or remove one to take to your hose supplier to see if you already have the 4000 couplers. If you need the female couplers you will need two, as well as two matching male ends.

Have the hoses made, the ends crimped on, and don't forget, the cylinder will move as the blade angles & raises, leave enough slack.

I know they make both 1/4" NPT & 3/8" NPT to 1/4" hose fittings, but I suspect the 1/4" hose to 3/8" NPT will be more expensive, it may be cheaper and only add maybe 1/4" to the length of the fittings to use a 1/4" to 3/8" hex reducer bushing to adapt from the 1/4" NPT threads on the hose fitting to the 3/8" NPT threads in the Pioneer couplers.

You should use some sort of pipe thread sealant on all threaded fittings to prevent leaks, but I suggest NOT to use Teflon tape, there's a possibility that shreds of the tape could end up in your hydro system. We use a Permatex white Teflon thread sealant in a tube that's about the consistency of tooth paste. And always use TWO wrenches to tighten every threaded connection.

I'd also try to flush the inside of the cylinder with Hy-Tran or some other type of oil. I don't like to mix oils in my equipment.

Dennis - Thanks for the detailed write up. I was hoping there was something compatable with the existing quick fitting on the tractor, but it sounds like a better idea to convert everything to the same style/size. I'll head over to NAPA or even my local Fleet Farm and see what I can get for fittings. Thanks again for your help!!

Dennis Frisk
added to that,if you don`t mind, is filter and a pump and save that flushing Hy-Tran. A 10 micron filter will do it and still have all that Hy-tran for rears aand trannies.Seems shop clean up is side tracked .At least I`am moving mostly IH tractor parts.I need to have a Tractor yard sale and not sell a thing lol.

JIM - It was almost 2-1/2 yrs ago when I went thru that with my 982 & hyd. dump cart I run with my aux. remotes, but the two sets (male & female) of Pioneer 4000 series connectors cost LESS than ONE of the male connectors to plug into your remotes.

If your 1650 has had the aux. remotes used at ALL, there's a good chance they might have been changed. You could look closely at them to see if they have Pioneer and "4000" stamped on them. My old OEM female couplers are out in the shop and I can't remember if they had anything stamped on them or not, seems like they had a coat of paint on them.

Fleet-Farm probably has the Pioneer 4000-series couplers, and I bet they have the 1/4" hose, and for sure 3/8", but it would be standard lengths with standard end fittings.

The 4000 series are just a hair bigger than the OEM couplers on the ID of the female half. My rubber plugs to seal the couplers on the tractor when nothing is connected to them off my OEM couplers will not stay in the 4000 couplers, I have to put a couple thicknesses of shop towels over them. The external size is the same.

Always make sure to wipe the connectors out or off good before connecting. The hydro on a CC does have a filter but dust & dirt can cause a lot of problems before it gets there.

I've got four sets of 1/2" Pioneer couplers on each of my two loaders, and it seems like there's always ONE pair that likes to leak. But so far on ALL the connections on my hoses & couplers on my dump cart are dry as a bone, and there's short pipe couplings in the middle lengthening both hoses, two 90 degree emblows on each hose, then the male half of the coupler attaching to the female half on each hose. I made up a pair of adapters changing the 4000-series couples over to the 1/2 inch couplers so I can run the cart with either big tractor but haven't used them yet.

I like playing with hydraulics, "Don't use FORCE, just get a Bigger cylinder!" ;-)

DONALD - Yes, you could catch, save, & filter the Hy-Tran you flush with, but I think I'd use it in a gear drive. They aren't near as fussy about their gear lube as a Hydro.

Don, I have some strawberry malt colored fluid that cam out of the 125(the picture I just posted). I could bottle it as send it to ya....it even had some white-ish areas, like the malt was not totally stirred up. With this malt inside the tranny it would not move but a 1/2 foot...

I changed this fluid along with the filter, had my good friend ART weld up my trunion and this 125 run beautifully! I even took a moment to be marvelled at the stout construction of it. And of course I popped a few wheelies !!!
Here's another pic of the left side of this beauty...
214865.jpg

Vincent Thomley

What you have there would be auto trans fluid mixed with water before.As it was stated here before auto trans fluid is more than workable,Hytran will incapsulate water and auto fluid can look like a milkshake lol.

Kraig McConaughey "Keeper of the Photos"

I Just got my 125 engine back and will install soon. Can`t waite to see what the fuss is all about.
Shift.gif

Vincent sounds good just don't flip over backwards Wheelies can hurt I know! Lot of new posting and new cubs to work on today. I have a question did Cub 128 and 149 come out with the old triangle deck in a 38" and 42" or did they have the rounded like a 44U Deck just wanting to know so I will get it right when done with both of them. Tires on the front were option between the tall narrow or the wide short tire and wheels? Is this statement right? Need info men new at all the reworking and getting it right!

vincent-
Pretty sure I have a near perfect dash for your 125 at my MIL's house in baldwin

Joe-

I was curious myself and went to the parts look-up. I gather you could get a 38", 42", 44", 48", or 50" decks for both of the models you mentioned. When you get there just click on attachments; it's amazing how much was offered.

Vince-
I laughed at your "marveled the stout construction" comment. Haven't I heard that comment before? LOL!

Then I laughed at Kraig's "Perfection" comment. Someday he'll learn....
roflol.gif

Latest posts

Back