Archive through October 13, 2008

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kide

displayname
Gerry Ide
Gee whiz, I didn't think it was bad enough to force an archive....
lol.gif

Hey Jeff R,
Thanks. My tractor started as a 109. I've added a replacement 12 horse engine. I'm a forklift mechanic so I had access to most of the hydraulic system from scrapped equipment. The pump, power steering valve and column, and the hydraulic tank were all old forklift parts. I purchased two sticks of steel tubing, the cylinders, and had the hydraulic lines made. The parts for the one inch spindles were purchased new from northern tool. The entire project cost slightly less than five hundred bucks. The time to engineer and fabricate was about 13 months. Terry
95236.jpg

Terry:
What are you using for counterweight?
(looks verrrry nice!)

Kendell,
In the second picture the wheel weights weren't installed(70lbs. each), rear tires are also liquid filled and the 2.5 gallon hydraulic tank is mounted in the rear. The uprights are positioned just in front of the footpads so the forces don't seem lift the rear of the tractor easily.
Terry
95239.jpg

Here's where the pump is mounted, driven from a five inch pulley machined out and sandwiched in between the crankshaft and driveshaft hub. Pump pulley is 3.5"
Terry
95242.jpg

Terry A.
Do me and everyone a great favor and do us a super write up in the Cool IH Cub Cadets Not OEM but better'n' new ! section.
Thanks man.
thumbsup_old.gif

I had everything lined up to wash up after the show, and it seemed a good time to take a picture of the fleet. The smoke from those steam engines can sure be corrosive.

95244.jpg

95245.jpg

95246.jpg

KOHLER ENGINE STAND

What is the proper way to mount a Kohler engine on an engine stand? Will it fit on a conventional automotive engine stand?

Thanks,

John-David Reaves
ROLL TIDE

A Kohler should bolt right up via the S/G mounts, you'll have to remove the S/G and the S/G bracket.

95257.jpg

95258.jpg

THANKS KRAIG. Looks like I also need to remove the adjustable arms from the mounting plate and bolt through the slots on the plate?

John-David Reaves
ROLL TIDE

I believe so. That's my engine but it's on David Kirk's engine stand when he rebuilt it for me.

KRAIG, thanks again. I was gonna brag on your shop and how clean and orderly it looks, but now I see I have to brag on David Kirk's shop. But, you sure have a pretty engine there!

John-David Reaves
ROLL TIDE

I wonder if Kraig knows that there are holes on the bottom of that engine, and he can bolt it to the frame of a tractor!?!
95261.gif

Art,

It's funny you posted those comments on your 1450...I was just thinking the other day (standing in front of the shed being disgusted that I couldn't lift a 5 gallon can of gas for another 4 weeks)........."All of this started with a $125 129 and $50 blade to mow grass an push snow at my new (to me in 1998) house, and now I can't even walk though both sheds....."

95263.jpg

95264.jpg

Oh well....the neighbors don't think I'm so nuts anymore...especially when I'm plowing out their driveway or tilling their garden, and 6 tractors isn't too many (is it???)
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

As Jonathan said, I've met a lot of great people along the way and it's still a fun hobby!!!!!

Steve,
It all started with a 122 picked up at your PD in 2002 for me. I don't have it any more but I am up to 16 tractors right now and have had a lot more pass through my hands. I don't even want to think of all the attachments and other related items I have either. I have met many great friends and had a lot of fun with the hobby.
These pictures about sum it all up. The bug bites hard no matter what color it is. These are mostly my friends tractors at his house 30 of the green ones atleast, the rest are mine with a couple of the neighbors big tractors thrown in too. This was one year ago and I did sell 5 since then and I think I only bought two so I am down 3.
It has been a lot of fun meeting the many people and enjoying the good times at plowdays and other shows.
95272.jpg

95273.jpg

95274.jpg

95275.jpg

95276.jpg

Ditto John!

This stuff does it for me. My little girl gets it and so the disease contiues! You can't beat a smile like that. Kids have a blast, wish I could afford to have a fleet of em!

95279.jpg

Too much green!! too much green!!! Its hurtin my eyes!!AAHHH theres some yellow and white...wheeew that was close,LOL

TIM - I hear Ya!
ihrotate.gif
greenthumb.gif

I don't trade tractors around much. I still have the 70 Dad bought brand new in 1965, the 72 (Only CC I could find in the whole Quad-City area the winter of '80/'81 when I decided I was going to get one) I bought it Jan. '81, and the 982 I bought in Sept. 2000. I did part with a 129 I got in about 1990 back in 2006, I "Kinda" traded it for Dad's '51 M and Stan-Hoist loader He bought brand new Dec. of '51. I think I got the better end of THAT deal.
When I wear these out (been trying for thirty years without any luck!) I'll look for another one

I bought a 100 in 1968 and mowed 1.3 acres with it every week until i got a 147 in 1983. I also continued using the 100 until 1994, then sold it.
I now have 1 original 2 127 147 128 169 154 loboy. Never owned any other brand riding mower.

Latest posts

Back