• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through October 06, 2011

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmcconaughey

Keeper of the Photos
Staff member
Administrator
displayname
Kraig McConaughey
Mike, not sure what could be causing your starting issues, however, that furry corrosion is caused by the corrosive nature of battery acid. I use the special felt washers under the battery terminals on all of my vehicles. Not sure what the washers are impregnated with but it sure does limit the formation of the white corrosion.

231310.jpg

Thanks Scott-

I see now I just let my fingers go faster than my brain on that one. Down here in the south we don't think snow blowers/throwers as much as yall do further north and out west. We'd expect to see a home rigged ice cream maker before seeing anything having to do with snow.

Wayne, Im pretty sure that Id have to have an icecream maker for my cub, that'd be the best damn attachment yet! (My grandma, god rest her soul, taught me how to make all kinds of hand churned icecream when I was a kid, nothing beats it!)
drool.gif

Kraig, thats a nice lookin dash tower and VERY clean cables and connections, one of these days Ill put a shiny new wiring harness in my cub

Kraig-

I have a pair of pink washers just like those that came with an aftermarket hold down. I wasn't sure where they were meant to be used so I just didn't. You'd think they could pick ANY color but pink.

Wayne-
Kraig is partial to the color pink. Put those washers in an envelope, send them his way, and they'll be used!
happy.gif

Mike, check the wires going directly to the starter, sometimes my cables work loose on my starter generator and it'll act the same as yours, if the wires are getting hot theres a bad or loose ground somewhere. Only things I can think of
1a_scratchhead.gif

I was doing some sniffing around online and found this pic:

231322.jpg

Is it just me, or does something look "funny" about that mower deck?
1a_scratchhead.gif

WANTED!!!! <font size="-2">(not 'wanted to buy')</font>

231325.jpg

I'm looking for someone who has one of these sand-trap-rakes. I have "most" of one, but need a few drawings/measurements of a couple of missing pieces to complete it.

If you have one, or know of someone who has one, please send me an email.

Art - I think that mower deck has an extension to mow under fences/shrubs, etc, doesn't it?

Art, that is the extended deck Kraig posted some more pictures of a while back thats designed to mow under fences, bushes, etc like Greg pointed out. Personally, Id love to have that as an attachment but not sure Id want it as a permanent add on.

Glen,

Well, that was going to be my next question. Does the red positive cable going to the end of the starter normally get hot? Cause mine is when I try to start it? But it seems tight on the end of the starter. Can there be a short between it and the battery? Perhaps rubbed the rubber coating off and grounding out on the frame? I was under the impression that the postitive cable would not get hot in the short period of time it has power passing through it to roll over the engine?
1a_scratchhead.gif

That sand trap rake is wild! Any chance you want to share the pictures of the one you "mostly" have? I have never seen one of them. Looks good with the duals on the Cub in the picture. I like the old pictures they did up for advertising back then. Look just as good if not better than ones used today.

Mike-

If that shorted you'd probably hear or see it arcing...It sounds like you've got a bad connection on the + cable, or a bad cable...high resistance will make them heat up, too.

i cant w8 to play in the snow with my cub cadet 73. i whould like to find a plow mount for it. i hate snow blowing slush

i cant w8 to play in the snow with my cub cadet 73. i whould like to find a plow mount for it. i hate snow blowing slush

Matt,
What would cause it to start to happen all of a sudden? I didn't have issues like this before really? That is why I am wondering if the casing has rubbed through on something? You say might have a bad cable, what makes it bad? Sorry for sounding stupid.
stupid.gif
I do not want to have to replace the entire cable if I am miss understanding you guys. I grabbed hold of it at the positive post on the battery, then at the solnoid, and the starter. It was hot at the starter end (both cable and the last inch or so of the starter) where positive cable bolts onto it. Can't say I heard any arching. As far as seeing it....HA! I am becoming blinde as a bat recently?
feint.gif

Corrosion or broken strands of wire inside the cable will cause it to have higher than normal resistance, and then heat up when you put a lot of current through it.

I'm not kidding about seeing it...I once had an 1811 that I didn't quite install the left side head shroud on correctly, and it was touching the terminal on the starter. When I cranked it over, I heard this snap/crackle/pop over the noise of the starter, and the sparks were bright enough I could see light from them on the garage floor below the tractor...

Thanks Scott A picture is worth a thousand words. I thought something like what you did is the way to go. Thanks again will get to work on it in the morning.

Back