• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 20, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstanton

displayname
Scott Stanton
Tomorrow starts regular gun season here in western NY!!!! HOORAY!!! Hopefully I will be posting some pics this weekend. I'm going back up to the hill to re-scent my wicks for the spot I will be sitting(sleeping!) in.

Scott, tomorrow is the Wisconsin regular gun season opener as well. I'll be hunting at my cabin in northern Wisconsin, 100+ miles away from that nice 10 point that's hanging around near the farm. If I don't get something at the cabin this weekend, I'll be at the farm after him, hopefully no one gets him before I get another chance. Good luck to you and all the other hunters, oh and be sure to hunt safely.
thumbsup.gif

I took 5 days of vacation to hopefully get that buck that is rubbing 3" diameter trees up at my parents house. Mom tells me he is pretty big. This is the first year I'm actually going to hunt for a good buck. I'm really excited!I'm still going to fill out tags but want to get something worth a wall mount.

I still need to get my Encore back to smoke pole form, it's set for 'Yotes right now. I really want to get one with my newest wheel gun first. There are two huge bucks around me but my wife tagged one with her Neon. She didn't see it till she was looking eye to eye with him and by that time he had ripped the mirror off. Only other damage was a dent in the drivers door, deep enough to stop the window from going down, and a small dent in the rear quarter. They popped out nicely. When she got home she told me about it so we went to look for it. He wasn't there so hopefully he just got bruised up and not die from internal bleeding. There was another about 50yds down the road so I'm hoping I see him before the city jerks down the road. They're from Massachusetts and bought 150 some acres across the road from me.

Bear only season starts Monday in PA with an extended bear season in select wildlife management units the following week in conjunction with deer season, the latter lasting for two weeks. Good luck to all, positively identify your target and beyond.

Spenta all day in the boonies and counted 15 deer, 3 of which were bucks. One was nice but in too heavy to shoot brushy crap, a small 4 pointer and an even smaller spike that seemed to like me because he kept coming back my way. The rest were does of various sizes, I debated on taking a nice fat one but wanted to wait for the bucks! Better luck tomorrow!
Shotgun.gif

Brendan,
What form of wheel gun are we speaking of?
I hunt with handguns also.
Ruger single six .22 5" barrel and open sights for small game.
Various other centerfire revolvers for deer.
This year I'm using a Smith 686 4" barrel .357 magnun with open sights.
Started hunting with handguns back in my law enforcement days (firearms instructor) to keep my skills sharp.
Nowadays, do it because the challenge is more rewarding than just killing something.
Although fresh tenderloin is always nice.
Good luck everybody and happy hunting!

Brad...Well ain't that somethin...stainless 4" 686
lol.gif

Also use a TC Encore that is registered as a hand cannon...15" .308, that thing just plain hurts to shoot. Right now it's in smoke pole form. I don't even own a shot gun anymore, everything is either hand gun or single shot. You are right, it is much more rewarding.

Well today pretty much sucked, see one red squirrel...that's it ! There are a ton of scrapes and trees rubbed up but didn't see a single deer. Our bear season opens next Saturday but I'm not holding my breath for that either.....

Brendan,
I did some work on an Encore in .45-70 a few years back.
Put a scope on it and sighted it in.
those rifle calibers in a handgun sure can kick, that is the reason the guy had me sight in for him... He said that if he shot it much beforehand and knew how hard it kicked, he would flinch too bad to hit anything.
I think he changed it over to a muzzle loader without even shooting the .45-70.
I told him he probably wore panties when he went hunting.
He said he didn't care, He would rather wear panties than a gun barrel upside his head anyday.
dizzy.gif

Brendan, those little red squirrels gang up on gray ones! I watched them for awhile and thought that they are fiesty for being so small! I hope they dont all get together and gang up on me!! LOL
Any way, hoping for better luck today and clear shots! Good luck to you all!

Scott...Seen the same thing today....1 red squirrel. At least he hung around to keep me company, was 6 feet away sitting on a broken branch looking at me.

Brad...The .45-70 is a nice caliber too. A friend of mine has a couple. It's probably for the best that he doesn't shoot it, if he's gonna be afraid of the heavier calibers in a hand gun he may get himself or someone else hurt.
Still hoping to initiate my .357 but haven't even seen a flag. There is a lot of activity but they must be going through at night.

All I saw yesterday was 3 tails going about a hundred miles an hour! It's very foggy this morning so I think I'll head on down to the river to see whats down there. And people think deer are stupid animals, they know we are there!!
draw.gif

Well, my daughter and I only saw 3 antler-less deer. We didn't have a doe tag, so we could only watch them walk by. One presented several easy shots though. Saturday afternoon my cousin Shawn and his grandson were driving back from their stands on his 4 wheeler and saw what they described as the biggest deer they have ever seen. They only got a quick look at it as it ran across the logging trail. Shawn said it looked more like an elk. Sunday another guy in my camp was talking with a guy from a nearby camp and he said that one guy in their camp had shot at the big deer but missed. They claim it's an 18 point. I sure would like to have a shot at him. I should have gotten a photo of the tracks from this deer they were saying his tracks are huge.

Someone say Ruger wheel guns? I have a "few" of those.
happy.gif
I have some Colts, S&W and some others as well in both SA and DA.
draw.gif

Last week i went and got my permanent hunting license. No more tags or license to buy. 11.00 well spent. I may go back to deer hunting this fall. There is about five deer crossing the road on my property. If I don't get one someone else will.They ate my apples sitting by the camper last week.
181511.jpg

Brendan,
Hang in there! They will eventually "yard up"
when it turns colder, hopefully sooner rather than later. Get some fresh snow on the ground and track and stalk em. Usually they will find a depression to get out of the wind. Know your terrain and watch where they are headed. circled around downwind and slip up to the ridge....
I have had good results this way.
That is my favorite time and way to hunt
Of course that doesn't work too well if you are in an area with high hunter population. All you will see is a bunch of mad hunters!

Kraig,
I also own several Ruger revolvers, all Single actions.
I am left handed, and the loading gate is right under my left thumb.
I don't have change hands to empty and reload cartridges.
And a single action revolver as a hunting handgun really is no handicap in the woods.
I have yet to shoot at any animal in double action.
draw.gif

I at one time had a pair of Hunter models- A Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag and a Single Six in .22/.....22 Mag.
I like the Express sights (bead front, shallow v in the rear) better than the standard front sights. The only thing I couldn't get used to was all that barrel out there in front(7 1/2")
Wuold like to see Ruger come out with those Models in a 5" barrel version... I might have
to sell a Cub to get a set of those.

I got this guy on Tuesday morning. There has been a logging company up on the hill and I talked with one of the guys who said the deer are used to them being up there. He said they walk through all the time and dont get spooked by the machinery at all. So I planted myself up the hill and waited about 2 hours. A nice 6 point that had one tine broken off and a lot of scratches and chips out of his antlers, a fighter for sure. I had a doe come to about 10 feet from me before walking away, he was on her trail and I took him at about 20 yards. A neck shot from the front that went all the way through the deer and out just on the backside of his back hip. Dont worry it went into the hill(STEEP hill)! Easy to clean out after the 30-.06 did most of the hard work for me. Dropped where he stood, no losing deer this year!! Hang on I lost my pics!

Heres the pics. No one was around for me to get any good pics but heres the ones I got.

181687.jpg

181688.jpg

Latest posts

Back