• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through November 20, 2006

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G.L.,
Where'd you get the old air deflector for the starter side? They stopped using those with the 2/3 series I thought. The newer straight side panel suposedly keeps the engine just as cool without allowing all that space for grass and debris to accumulate. My .02 Kenny

Matt,
45959.jpg

I have a question on the electric lift when i raise to the top the cylinder spins is that the clutch . how can the lift be adjusted and it sounds alitte noisy

When the old 102 seized up for the first time in '75 I was 16 and running it flat out on a 96 degree day cutting a neighbor's 2 acre lawn with it. After Dad read me the riot act about checking the oil, we pulled it apart and surveyed the damage, and pulled lots of little piston pieces out of the oil pan. We also pulled a lot of grass out of the air deflector. When we put it back together, my dad cut down that air deflector to keep the cooling fins from getting clogged. I'm not sure if he saw that "feature" on later model Cubs, or it was just some "field engineering" he did on the fly.

Jim,
The spinning cylinder is the clutch working. You should loosen the clutch until the cylinder spins then tighten the clutch nut a turn. If the lift is loud or has a grinding noise you might want to disassemble the lift to make sure the bearing (item #5) in the middle is still good. These lifts are spendy, so a little TLC and preventive maintenance is a good idea. Take a look at the bottom of this page for my tips on disassembling the lift.

thanks Terry for Your help I am rebuilding my snowblower making new shafts for gear box and even new paint . enjoying the forum thanks to all of you .

If the 800 lbs of hot metal and gas isn't bad enough the mower blades might be, it is an interesting thought on tipping angle, but something with a 2-cycle engine might be safer, or at least safer for the engine.

Dave

The 2 cycle wonders are a godsend for those of us who have to maintain steep hillsides and the like. I have a few around here, and I treat them with respect and cut them with the Toro Weedwacker. I used a 102 at the old place, then switched to a Simplicity Sunrunner for the last few years before getting my 129 together this fall. The low mounted engine, the mower deck's wide grass deflector and fairly small wheels gave it a low center of gravity and limited the grade I could cut before it got stuck. A Cub will go places it won't, but it may also get me into trouble if I'm not careful. The Sunrunner and my 129 are both Hydrostatic Drive, but the throttle and shifter controls are opposite, it will take some getting used to the different handling characteristics of both when I switch between them.

Dave S,
I mowed yards when I was a kid. One customer had a pretty steep bank in front. I couldn't stand at the bottom and push the mower all the way up, and I didn't like standing on top to let the mower down, I always felt like my feet would slip and I'd go down into it. I ended up putting two loops on the left side of the 20" deck, tying two long ropes to them, then walking along the top of the bank, letting the mower follow me along on the hillside. I just let the ropes out on each pass, and it cut up the clippings each time until I got to the bottom, where I could walk along the ditch. Since they didn't have string trimmers then, I had to be careful with the cut on the edge of his lot where it joined the neighbor's property, until the neighbors hired me, then I did the whole block the same day.

Yawn...
coffee.gif
, just sittin in front of the "puter" or computer lookin at all the warm & fuzzy pics...hahahaha It's too cold, windy, rainy, etc here in MD this mornin...and the cable has been goin in and out...and I don't have a cab for my 149, so, looks like tree cleanup is over for today, and besides, I got plannin to do for my grandfathers leaf pick up operation tomorrow, hopefully the rain will not be too heavy, and put a soaker on those foot thick Virginia oak leaves... well, Off To The Garage!!!

Latest posts

Back