Archive through November 11, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tholden

displayname
TERRY HOLDEN
I inherited a model 1450 w/44" mower deck after the death of my dad. It is apparent that it hasn't run in several years, I haven't tried to start it as the oil hasn't been changed in several years and the battery is dead. I always change the oil in my engines when the engine is hot, but i'm concerned about circulating this old oil, is this a reasonable concern or should I just try to start it. I also have a bad (wobbly)center pully on my mower deck. what kind of resources are there for replacing this pulley inexpensively. the key way has a lot of slop in it allowing the pulley to be rotated 60 degrees without turning the mower blade. I also have no manuals for my (new)equipment, any suggestions would be helpful.

Dual Adaptor Question...

I have two sets of dual adaptors (Tri's anyone?) for 6-12 tires. One set is an original <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> set (yellow) that I bought from a former forum sponsor, and the other is a <font color="0000ff">"Hoefler-Made"</font> set (white).

As you can see in these photos, the "Hoefler-Made" set came with the mounting studs, and the <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> set came with regular bolts that are marked with IH on the heads.

70153.jpg

70154.jpg

70155.jpg

70156.jpg

At first I thought I would need to get a set of mounting studs for the IH set, but the fact that the IH set came with 10 matching IH-headed bolts leads me to believe that maybe this is how they originally came.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Art - The <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> ones would be the "politically correct" way since that's the way the axles are made but as Dan made his, it is easier to set a wheel on studs than to hold a wheel and match up a bolt hole.

Art.
The original IH adaptors came with studs similar to what Dan provided, with a "lug nut" as a fixed, center part of the stud. The inner wheel was mounted and tightened using the "lug nut" of the studs, then the adaptor placed over the outer end of the stud and a nut installed to secure the adaptor. The outer wheel was then installed to the adaptor with the original lug bolts. Only the holes in the outer flange are threaded.

Art: Paul Bell's post is both accurate and historically correct.

Myron B
CCSupplyRoom

Paul, Myron and Ken-
Thanks for the thoughts...

The way Paul described it is the way that I've used the Hoefler-Made adaptors when I mounted duals on the 71 in the past like this..

70159.jpg

What threw me is that the bolts in the yellow ones are <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> bolts which all match, but they're not wheel-lug-bolts, so I thought maybe this is how these original adaptors came.
dunno.gif

I guess some previous owner managed to round up 10 matching <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> bolts.....

I have a true set of IH spacers, adding to what Paul described; the double-ended stud has center hex portion with the tapered ends (that's two tapered faces) as one piece. Luckily, I got all 10 of my studs
happy.gif

Having said that, I honestly believe there would be less problems with the Hofler-made studs because of the quailty parts he starts with. The IH version would have had to be some sort of turned-down and rolled thread hex stock which I wouldn't trust much more than a grade-2 (ungraded) bolt.

Here's a close approximation of what the original part looked like.
70162.jpg

Had a couple of questions..just purchased a 149, and checked the trans fluid and it was RED!!..could this be automotive trans fluid?..it makes a strange,whirring sound at idle?..which brings me to the other question..it seems like I read about a discussion of the fluids for sale a TSC..the topic was the Mystic brand, so when i went to look, it seems like a seen 3 or 4 different part #..is there a certain # i should buy?..are there different # for hydro's and manual trans?..i have about 9 or 10 tractors i want to do fluid changes on..add 3 points, etc..thanks

Chris I was thinking my hytran has a red color to it but I could be wrong.

Was wondering if anybody knows what size tire a set of chains that measures about 12" wide, and 64" long fits? The guy who had them said they were on a 72 with rims for 23x8.50x12 tires, however the tires were alot bigger and for a 4-wheeler, I do not know the size those tires were. Thanks
dunno.gif

Art, I believe in hot composting, it kills the weed seeds.
roflol.gif
I have a pressure washer, no need to bring your's over.

On the topic of rear end fluid, what does a guy run in the gear drives? My first thought would be Hytrans but maybe not.

I change the fluid yearly in the hydros. That seems to be pretty good way of getting more useful life out the expensive stuff.

Thanks ..i guess all my other tractors must have used another brand..they leaned towards the clear side..still curious about the Mystic brand..

Chris I think TSC has a Traveller brand that says on the back it meets hytran specs but I haven't tried it. I don't want to take the chance to try it though.

Terry -

I had a very similar situation with the center pulley on my (much older) deck. You'll most likely have to replace the entire center spindle. Looks like the spindle assemblies come off with three bolts on your model, which could save you the trouble of getting into the bearings.

In my case I placed a want ad in the classified forum on this site and soon got several leads on reasonably priced used spindles. You might want to give that a try. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back