Archive through November 07, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jshuper

displayname
Kyle P
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the steering on a Cub original steers opposite of the steering on a Cub 108. I was wondering if the worm gear is cut opposite or what the difference is. My neighbor is working on a customized Cub cadet project for his son and has hit a dilema. He altered the front end and now when you turn the wheel to the right the wheels turn left and vice versa. We saw a picture of an Original and it looks like the steering is set up differently. he was hoping to find something to make it work without a lot of alterations.

Thanks for your time and information

Jeremy Shuper,
Is there something that you didn't like about the answers you got when you asked that question on the Registry?
I thought that Timmy D. did very well with his explanation as well as pictures for you!
If you like I would be more than happy to copy and paste them here.

Okay, now I can see the forum... dunno what the problem was here, but it's workin' now.

Wyatt- I DO RTFMs. I don't have a copy of BLN-9646, but I have read the application guides for the Model 15, as well as Sauer-Danfoss's fluid selection recommendations in HZ00A202. From what I see, they seem to say that Type CD oils are acceptable, but I haven't seen anything indicated where it's actually recommended. It's advantageous under situations where the fluid power system is under low load, or where engine, gearcase, and hydraulic system must share the same reservoir and fluid. They even specify water-based hydraulic fluids... but they sure don't recommend 'em.

What I see here, all the pertinant data appears in BLN10006:
Max intermittant temp of 220F, nominal of 180 (pg 7), optimum vis is 70 SUS, with continuous of above 55 SUS, intermittant not less than 45 SUS. (pg 15). They recommend at least 30 seconds of dwell time in the reservoir for cooling and de-aereation, with under 4psi of residual case pressure.

So, If you're having overheat problems, there's something wrong. Pg 19 has the best graph of all- the overall efficiency graph. follow the line up to the efficiency plateau, note that it's best is about 80% efficiency... that means if you're putting 10hp in, you'll only get 8hp out... and the missing 2hp is converted into heat... that's 5088 BTU. If you're running 20hp, that's 10,177btu being scrubbed off.

An aside- notice that in the far left side, where the load is light... the efficiency goes to pot... that's because the static friction of the pump generates heat, but the fluid's not carrying much power.

As for the PowerStroke, I don't have to do any searching for that data- my brother-in-law is involved in that project very heavily, specifically in the design/manufacturing economics venue. The use of engine-oil in that application is strictly a case of necessity... it also happens to be an Achilles Heel. Aereation IS critical in that injector, as is oil temperature- Navistar had no other way around it, so they accepted that solution to get the engine on the road. It's also the reason why Navistar's engineering and legal staff is working very hard to come up with a better injector- they're unfortunately very limited by both manufacturing cost and patent issues. The PowerStroke is a great engine, in the market at the right time, but look forward to seeing a change in this technology in a few years... once they get the annoying issues resolved, it will get even better.

Rich-Excellent guess but no. It is MUCH harder to get parts for. I never wanna hear a Cub guy whine ever again about waiting for parts or how much they cost....hopefully this thing won't even need any parts,or it may be cheaper to pay Dan H. 100.00 an hour to make them.

Hi All. I've been following the hydro discussion, very interesting reading. Being a "green" guy though I did want to clarify something I saw the other day when you guy's were comparing to the "green" tractors. JD started using the aux. coolers when the 318/420 tractors came out, but at the same time they eliminated the hydro mounted cooling fan that earlier tractors w/o coolers had. Also, I think that the lift circuit pressure was also raised at this time as the 318/420 tractors had power steering. Granted the 322 gas/330-332 diesels had the cooler as an option (and still had no cooling fan on the hydro unit) which was probably a big mistake by JD. Anyway, interesting reading guy's.

Kent

Had a good IHCC day yesterday. Used the 125 to mow/mulch for the last time (again) this year, then swept up the leaves. Noticed that whoever put the extension on the tiller had the tines turned the wrong way. Fixed that in about two minutes, and put it away for the winter. Plowed leaves into the garden with the 147. No weights or chains on the turfs, but a little Body English took care of the slipping. Thanks to the tips from several of you at Plow Day last spring, I think I did okay.
Now to get a couple set up for snow removal, cart some firewood from behind the garage and shed to the new rack I built from free material, and turn the tired 109 into a 129.

Dave-
My apologies, the information I must have gotten from my engineer frineds from Melrose Park must have mislead me, it's not like engineering managers really know what's going on anyways
happy.gif

Kevin D.

Is it a Pasquali?? That's about the hardest one for parts that I can think of and they do articulated ones.

JimE

I am sorry for my double post about the Original steering on here and the Registry forum. I thought that I had a short cut for the registry forum on my desktop to check the replies but I didn't. I tried to go through yahoo to find the website but couldn't. It finally dawned on me to check my original registration email to get it. Thanks to everyone that replied.

Jeremy S.
No need to fell sorry, just post on one or the other, no point in double posting to see who answers first! Which happens quite a lot I might add, grin

Sorry about the delay in timely posting on the hydro problem info. I will try and explain the trouble shooting graph in the SD manual as to what to check for when a 15 U overheats.

The manual starts out with check for low oil in reservoir. If low fill to proper level. OK> (2) Inspect heat exchanger if so equipped and if defective repair or replace. OK> (3) Inspect BY-PASS VALVE if defective: repair or replace. OK> (4)Inspect ACCELERATOR VALVE... if defective: repair or replace. OK> ...This is part one for the following... (5)CHECK CHARGE PRESSURE. If LOW then proceed to (5A) INSPECT INLET FILTER. If clogged then replace. OK> (5B) INSPECT CHARGE RELIEF VALVE if defective repair or replace. OK> (5C) INSPECT IMPLEMENT RELIEF VALVE. If defective repair or replace. OK> (5D)INSPECT CHARGE PUMP If defective repair or replace. OK> REPLACE TRANSMISSION PUMP AND MOTOR.

PART TWO: CHECKING CHARGE PUMP PRESSURE.
If CHARGE PUMP PRESSURE is OK> then CHECK SYSTEM PRESSURE. if HIGH then REDUCE MACHINE LOAD. if OK> REPLACE TRANSMISSION PUMP AND MOTOR.

I hope this helps with Wyatt's or anyone elses problems. Still too dang sick to do much talking on the phone or much anything else.

One more thing about when a hydro acts jerky or hesitant when starting. This doesn't always mean that you should scream immediately,"OHMIGOD... now I gotta rebuild my charge pump." First check your linkage. If OK> then inspect accelerator valve. If OK> then inspect charge check valve.

The wife DRUG me out shopping today so on the way home, I said I've gotta stop by Fleet Farm, grin
They had Carlisle 4.80x8 ags on sale for $11.88 each, so I just had to buy some. One ready for winter, 2 more to go and I'll be ready for the snow.
22705.jpg

22706.jpg

(Message edited by cproctor on November 07, 2004)

Cool Catch, Charlie! Think Blain's Farm & Fleet has the same deal?

Matthew S. That is one nice looking addition. Cubgratulations. :+)

Charlie. You put those on pretty quick. You must have a good tire changer. Mine is still screwdrivers and mild cussin'.

Dave,
Might be worth a drive by. ;-p

Marlin,
For $29.95 I'll never change another tire with pry bars or screw dirvers!!!!
Took me all of 30 minutes to dismount the old tires, put those on and on the tractor.
22709.jpg

Some one just asked if those ags on wide rims made the side walls look to bulged out and if the tires layed flat. Look ok to me.
22711.jpg

22712.jpg

Latest posts

Back