• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through May 02, 2009

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrschmitt

displayname
Ron R. Schmitt
Lucas C,

My top model picks for the things you're wanting to do are the 149 and 782. The hydro drive is great and the hydraulic lift on these comes in real handy for lifting heavy implements like plows and tillers. The 1450 and 1650 Quietline models would also work good too as they also have hydraulic lift but they're not my top picks. My $.02

Hi guys.

Finally got a chance to log onto the forum and see what has been posted recently. I'm currently on a mission just outside Baghdad, Iraq. Been here since early February. Everything here is covered with a fine dirty tan colored dust. Sandstorms are frequent and literally darken out the sky so much that most aircraft are grounded. If your picture of a desert was a big place with fine white sand like on the beach, it ain't this place. It is more like hard packed limestone clay, and when it rains it sticks like glue. Life isn't really user friendly here.

The young men and women in uniform here really endure some horrible conditions for all of us at home. I hope you guys will remember them. I am here as a civilian employee for the Department of the Army, supporting our troops in this theater. Frequent incoming fire at the bases and FOBs (Forward Operating Bases) keeps all of us alert. However, I do feel safe. I figure with the Swine Flu, and potential for it to explode, I'm probably safer here than anywhere else?? At least everyone coming over is screened and medically examined before flying over.

Unfortunately, there are no Cub Cadets over here. So much for the neighborhood. Good day to all.

John-David Reaves from Alabama
Roll Tide Roll

John-David Thanks for serving Our mission over in Iraq, our prayers for everyone's safety! Keep us updated with your experiences.Maybe U should start a thread in the Sandbox ...

Hi all, got a power steering pump from a toyota pickup to try for a auxillary hydraulic pump. they are supposed to pump around 1200psi and 4 gpm. The size cylinders I will use on my toys wont require more volume or pressure, and that particular pump will fit very easily under the tunnel of my 1250 without any major mods. It also has the oil res. not built into the pump, therefore unlimiting the volume of oil used. Too nasty to be out much today, so I cant get in the mood to start that project today. Our son has downs syndrome and calls himself the Man Cub, let him drive the 1250 by himself for the first time yesterday, they got along great, may loose my tractor, now I got a cub on a cub, lol. HE LOOKED LIKE THIS-
Shift.gif

John-David,

Good to here from you, wish I knew how to get a cub over there to ya, that would sure lift some spirits and make things more tolerable.I appreciate everything you and the troops endure on our behalf. God Bless.
war.gif

Tim S.-
I have two young daughters that go to the garage several times a week to see if they have grown enough to depress the clutch pedals while keeping there hind ends on the seats.
wedgie.gif

Tim,

Your Son is a special person, with special needs.
We have a Step daughter the same way, always figured God gave special children to special parents.

Bet he was as proud as a peacock on that Cub.

Will post some pics of the 2 cubs as soon as the weather gets more enjoyable to the man cub, he is picky about things like that. Am thinking of building a saw assembly like they used to make on those old walk behind tractors that had the horizontal saw blade close to the ground. Would be a handy attachment to clean under fence rows. Welcome ideas or suggestions and ideas to run one from my mule drive. Dont know what those things are called and can only remember seeing one when I was a kid, so going at it kinda blind ?????
1a_scratchhead.gif
whistling.gif
stupid.gif

Has anyone refurbished a 38" cast iron mower deck? I'm looking for some tips. Thanks.

jdreaves,i was in your neighborhood today on gate-8 road looking for a plow and a double set of sears discs i heard about on the local a.m. tradeline for sale. Unfortunately they were sold by the time i got there.But i did get in a huge rain storm there!

The deck I picked up does not have the spring tensioner on the pulley (part #s 29, 30 and 31 in the photo), it has a bolt straight through the pulley and deck in a slot. Is this the correct set up?
150966.jpg

Greg:
Sounds homebrew to me.. all of the decks I've seen (other than the timed belt O deck) have a spring loaded tensioner. Note that I haven't seen ALL the IH Cub Cadet decks....

John-David,
Head down and eyes open is all you gotta remember!

My daughter is heading your way one day this month for her 2nd tour in the dirty tan sandbox. I can't say that I enjoyed it the 2 times I was there either.
She is going to be bringing an
ihrotate.gif
hood ornament off my Original, for good luck along for the ride/tour.
biggrin.gif

John-David:
Thank you for serving your country. It's good to hear from you. Be safe!

Charlie (and others here that have served or have children serving now)
Thank you, not only for your service, but for raising a daughter willing to serve her country also. I'm sure all of us, especially those with kids, can appreciate the extra burden as a parent that you are carrying..

Greg,
The early cast end decks had a carriage bolt in a slot to hold the belt tightener in place. They did not have the spring loaded arm.

John-David., to add to what others have posted. Thanks to YOU and ALL others serving/or have served for our country! Thank you sir!
war.gif

Cub Sick in Iraq

Thanks for all the comments guys. I appreciate everything and everyone. Hope things go OK for you there.

Paul, I wish I'd been around, I'd like to have been there when you drove over to Anniston. I live less than 5 miles from Gate 8 Road.

Also glad to hear there are so many who have served before and/or who have someone serving now.

Should be back home sometime in August. Looking forward to finishing the upgrades on my 169.

John-David Reaves
Roll Tide Roll

Greg P.

I just picked up a 38" deck and it also has no tension spring, sounds to be set up just like yours. It also is in need of rehab so maybe we can compare notes on the projects.

Greg, Tim
If you look at the end of the P/N listing for that deck you will find P/N 486 352 R91, Spring Idler Conversion Package to convert the fixed bolt of the early decks to the spring loaded idler of the later version,..... at least it is listed in the CPE-2 Equipment for Cub Cadets Parts Catalog, I didn't check the on-line parts look-up.

Good thing Wes (and Paul) are around to clear that up. I see in the owners manual for those decks there is the procedure for adjusting the tension..
150999.jpg

Good Morning
coffee.gif
. Would using slip plate under the deck help to keep grass from sticking to it? Or is this really the wrong place to use it? As always... thanks!

Back