• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through March 28, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill QQ,

You must not be working your tractors hard enough or live on really loose soil. Here in the confluence of the Mississippi, Missouri, and Illinois rivers our dirt is called "Black Stick" and it has wicked bite. I grew on WH and graduated to IH CC's and have smoked many of belts and clutches. Std rubbers belts didn't stand a chance. We switched to the cloth Kevlar (blue) belts and that helped that little tractors. And thing 14hp and larger got double belts to solve the problem. Then we torn out alot of WH rear ends. I mean double digits over 15+ years.
With a good resurfacing and fresh disk, the IH CC is far superior to belts. And I have NEVER broken a cub rear in yard duty. Pulling is another thing. LOL.

So Like I said. I moved up to IH CC. We still have quite a few WH's, but they are mostly just toys (or in the way.)

Bill QQ - I say again <font size="+2">BLASPHEMY !!!
IHThumbsDOWN.jpg
</font>

}Thank you Nic, Oh Great One and Keeper of the Memories. Your words ring of great truth!!!

Hope you guys don't dis-own me, see my new post in the off topic thread.

Got the de-thatcher mod fabbed up this evening and I think it's gonna work out fine. Hung it on the 1450 with a brinly disc style sleeve hitch set-up. Film at eleven, AM in the morning that is!!

Nic - I can't say I do any extreme work that would be abuse, both my WH and Cubs are used for mowing, pushing snow, moldboard plowing, pulling a trailer with firewood and other broken down garden tractors around the yard. As I said in my earlier post, use in home and garden. I've never replaced a belt, definitely haven't broken one. The clutch on my 126 slips in 3rd gear and probably in second gear - I'll find out hopefully soon as I have a 3 point hitch I'm going to put on it and give the moldboard plow a try. But that slippage is probably due to old age/years of use and who knows, the previous owner could have been riding the clutch a bunch. If I keep this 126, among other things will be a clutch refresh.

What I do know is that every time, be it the Cub, WH or Simplicity or Gravely or the old Sears, once the load gets to a point, the wheels spin. So in my experience, I see no practical advantage of the drive shaft over a belt, but I'm glad I've got at least 3 of these IH Cub Cadets in my fleet.

Again, not trying to stir the pot, just sharing my experiences.

Harry B - I can see now your worse case scenario, God forbid, you should land in hell after this life and have to do 100 point restorations of Wheelhorse tractors for all of eternity...
angel.gif

Clay, there are two forum members that I can think of that are most likely to know the answer to your query, Paul Bell and Craig Carney. Hopefully one of them will see your post.

Narrow or Wide frame for Implements. Are implements such as the front blade, snow thrower and plow interchangeable between narrow and wide frame? Years ago my dad owned a Cub 73 with a blade and I thought it was all interchangeable and didn't realize there was different frames. (I was just a kid and didn't realize how good that tractor really was) I'm in the market for a used IH Cub because I'm sick of the junk sold now and figure I can spend one third the money and get 3 times the tractor even if I have to fix a few worn items.

Michael, First Welcome
groupwave.gif

I only have Wide frames, but do know some implements switch over but require a mounting bracket change.

Look for a 129 or 149 IMHO

Here's a couple pic's of my sleeve hitch adapter for the de-thatcher. Took it for a test run last nite with stuff just tacked in place and I think it will work fine. Have to tweak the connector a little to the right yet as the sleeve tube in the hitch is crooked, finish up the welding and shake up a rattle can or two and put this baby ta work!!

At least now I can raise and lower it w/the hydro lift and not have to drag it across sidewalks, drives 'n such without having to dismount and jack the wheels down all the time.

I also cranked out a few sleeve hitch hangers as well. Still working on the horseshoe section.
The hood latches I snagged for 1/2 what a pair of NOS ones cost.

285002.jpg

285003.jpg

285004.jpg

285005.jpg

Michael K - welcome to the forum!

IMHO - the 73 is a very cool tractor. I think the forum owner, Charlie P. just picked up one. Here is a link to a bit of info on the 73: http://www.mytractorforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

A buddy of mine just bought a new lawn tractor at a box store with a 50 inch deck. The guy is incredibly mechanically inclined and I twisted his arm to consider an old iron tractor like an IHCC. I made the same argument you did that you would spend 1/3rd the price and get 3 times the life.

I think you can take it further - especially if you're pouring your hard earned $$$'s into one tractor vs a fleet of them like I have. My view is - is that a great case can be made that you could spend the same $$$'s on a box store Deere or Cub lawn tractor, say $1,700ish, or were you to spend $3-500ish on an IHCC and use the balance of the $1,700 to overhaul the engine and refresh any drivetrain or deck, etc., issues and one would have in the end basically a new tractor that is still twice the tractor of the high end Deere or Cub garden tractor for half their price, but at the same price point as the entry level lawn tractor.

With regard to implement interchangeability between WF and NF implements, I really don't know nothin' about those kinda things....
whistling.gif

greenthumb.gif

Michael K - welcome to the forum!

Well the difference is in the sub frames that are used to mount a blade or other attachment . The blade itself is the same it is only how it mounts to the tractor that will be different . If you don`t have a blade and see one for sale for a wide frame and you have a NF ; but it and trade for the correct mount . some snow throwers are adjustable for both NF and Wf cubs . They usually have an A after the size like a 42A 38A . Decks are the same as well and fit many different cubs. you just need the proper sub frame to mount it. ask away and some one will tell you what you need for any Cub attachment you might want to add to your Cub .

Latest posts

Back