• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 23, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proessler

displayname
Paul W.Roessler
Dave, you might look to upgrade to 782/1711 one piece rockshaft assembly. IH did an multiple piece to single piece rockshaft change @ sn 716388 during that series run. Or use a pipe/tube to make your rockshaft a one piece assembly. When I repaired my old 1450, years ago, I think I just needed to replace the roll pin. Just My .$.02...PWR

Dave K,
Mine were like that on the 149, I upgraded to a larger pin, but in the end, the welder fixed her for good....
flame.gif

OK - I'm starting to dig into my 1650 a bit.

How do you read the hour meter? I've never seen an analog one.

236851.jpg

It looks like the yellow needle is between 420 and 480, the red needle between 30 and 40 and the white one is at 6 o'clock.

When I get ready to lift this engine out, is the lug enough to hold the engine or do I need some other attachment points?

236852.jpg

Which set of bolts would you recommend I remove to get the engine out?

236853.jpg

I remember when I bought this tractor, the guy that had it from the PO said that the PO gave up on the tractor when trying to put new isolators in it. I can see if he (and it looks like he was trying) was trying to put the isolators in with the engine in place it could be a frustrating experience.

Thanks!
Bill

I am attempting to complete a valve job on my 149. The Kohler 321 has a replaceable exhaust valve seat/insert. I was hoping to replace the exhaust valve seat/insert without bringing it to a machine shop. Any ideas on how to remove and install a new seat? An experienced friend of mine will help me grind/lap in the angle and new valve, but neither of us are sure how to remove and replace the insert ourselves. Thanks for any help.

Norm,

Check with your local Case/IH dealer. IH used that 2-wire connector on a lot on different tractors/trucks/Cubbies/etc over the years.

David,

Since the holes are not oval, you can just put in a new steel spirol roll pin if you like. On the IH built 82 series and early MTD production, the roll pin diameter was increased to 3/8" Diameter, I believe, to provide more lifting capability and was an attempt to address the worn/deformed pin issue that the 1X8/9 and QL series were having. I'm considering doing that on my 169 rebuild project because the 5/16"D spriol roll pin will easily deform on the RH lift arm where the hydraulic cylinder is attached the first time subjected a heavy load such as a snowblower or even getting the mower deck high centered on a dirt mound. I've even had to replace the spirol pins on my two 782's but I feel the bigger pin will better handle heavy loads and will last longer.

I've also have thought that orientation of the spirol pin in the hole so that you obtain the highest amount of bearing contact area between the pin and hole in the direction of the applied loading may also be a consideration to minimize the amount of shear bending deformation of the pin, but I've never seen any installation directions or info to validate my theory. My $.02.

1650 deck - can the bearings for my 1650 50 inch deck be rebuild - if not can i use the the ones from my older 42" deck from my 147 which have the bearing that can be repacked

Dave Kirk - Oh Great One - Inventor of the Killer Kohler, and several other out of site upgrades - isn't it odd the left hanger is the one that wears oval while the right hanger is longer and would seem to carry more of the load? I had this issue with my 1450 and at that time I replaced with a new lift arm (but that was so long ago and before used parts were readily available, and I also didn't have a drill press or access to one. I've seen this problem on a 1650 that had been drilled and used an oversized roll pin, so I'm not sure oversizing it would hold up that long (which is what it sounds like Scott T discovered. I don't know if the lift arm is still available "new" and 20 years ago it was expensive, so you may have to go used to replace it and finding a good used one may be difficult (try Scott Madson). Welding and re-drilling may be the best answer. Since you have alot of possibilities let us know which you decide. Now, I have some further concern that after this is done you may discover you still have a "lean" in your deck. I think there may possibly be an FAQ on this but Steve Mr. Plow Blunier has some great info on the sub-frame fork wearing and how to go about correcting it to be better than new. This might be another cause of your "lift and lean" problem.
(under edit I never had an issue with the right arm as Ron S decribes, maybe because the subframe parts wore).

Bill J - I think you got it on reading the Hour Meter. There is an FAQ for it as well, but just add the numbers up, about 450 yellow, 32 white, and 7 red gives you 489 hours. If you want to know how many times it's turned over, well now that's another story. That one lug will hold your engine up, supposedly and according to the service manual. I think some of the guys will confirm it will work. I never had a sky hook to connect to it so I always had to use the back breaking method. As far as which bolts to remove from the rag joint, I think you may end up removing all 4. You can try first by just removing the 2 that don't go thru the drive shaft coupling, but I seem to recall there is an issue with a ball joint coupling behind the rag joint, that you don't really see. And I think but don't recall for certain that if you just remove the 2 bolts going thru the drive shaft coupling then there is still an issue with how far the drive shaft goes thru and into a centering ball (but I just can't recall for certain). I guess I'd probably start with removing the bolts in the coupling. You'll have to lean the engine forward anyway and it may be enough to get it out. I believe you have a rag joint at the other end of the drive shaft so you'll have some flexibility there as well. But, when it comes to putting it back in - well, if you got it on a chain hoist it will allow your 2 hands to be somewhat free for working on the alignment. As for installing Isomounts without removing the engine = nitemare!!
(under edit Jeff B says it so much quicker and shorter than me).

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die

George C - your 50in deck has sealed bearings sometimes called water pump or pump bearings, I believe the Part No. is ST-745. They are not rebuildable that I'm aware of. Replacements are available from some of the sponsors but they can be pricey. Good used ones are around as well. Also, the bearing sits in a cup and cover. The holes in these get ovaled. It's possible your bearing is fine and all you need is a good cup and top. I've even had some luck hammering the bolt areas of the cup flat again, if the bolts were allowed to get loose. As far as I know you won't be able to use the bearings from your 42" deck, they are different style and I don't think they would provide correct alignment or pulley use.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die

Ok Guys, I've been trying to get to this, but you all know how it is if you get to talking (writing) about Cubs. Here goes. Awhile back John Sergeant from across the pond, and over in the UK, posted a couple things on here and also asked about his lights. He got that resolved and sent me some pics recently. I've re-sized them so they can be posted. In the first you'll see his 70 and 100 as he acquired them, and then a few pics of them restored. Quite an amazing job. He started all this with an Original and then came up with another Original. The last pic shows his very first Original as he aquired it. I also wanted to point out the special hood ornament on one of his Originals - I have to assume it's the leader of his herd.

236863.jpg

236864.jpg

236865.jpg

236866.jpg

236867.jpg

236868.jpg

236869.jpg

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (and that's especially true in the UK)

Mr. Bursell, You answered my question before I posted it. I guess it is the weather here on the east coast that makes us think of mowing. I disassembled my newly acquired 50c deck today. It had two wobbly spindles. I removed the spindle assembly and they did not seem bad. They spun smooth and were reasonably tight.the cups and cap plates were cruddy rusty and a little less than flat when assembled. I think It would be a good first step to clean everything and get those parts to clamp the spindle tight.I have a strong Idea that a heavy hit to the blade (rock, Stump ,?) would loosen the cups grip. Does that sound right?
Does any one know an easy way to remove the spindle pulleys. The manual says remove nut, secure spindle and lift off pulley. Mine are rusted on solid... I will post pictures as I was interested in doing something to stiffen the cut.I was really liking Richard's super 50c deck mods from 04 thanks John

Harry, those are some nice looking tractors John has. It would appear the two Originals have a front hitch or two on them be used to move a trailer(s) or other equipment around. I am a fan of the 70/100's........just something about them.

John Sirois,
Didn't you know gear drives can go just about anywhere.....
lol.gif

John S - no need for formalities on here - all my friends on here call me Hydro, and others may call me SBB (slush box brain), and I can't comment about the Gear Heads cause they are always grinding at me. The holes in the cup and cap get out of round as well so the bearing will wobble. Even a few hammer hits might help close it up again but not sure how long it will last. For the long term new cups and caps are the best idea - I think you can still get them. I think CCC discontinued the ST-745 bearing and has a newer complete spindle replacement assembly, but some of the sponsors have other sources for the ST-745 bearing, not sure about the cup and cap.

Now, I don't often do this and I really don't like to because of historical factors and so many other benefits, but I have to disagree with Paul Bell. I don't know how those Gear Drives got across the pond to John, but that aside, Hydros DO go anywhere.

And Paul, it's a little late right now way over there in the UK, but I did ask John to pop in and post a message about how he uses his tractors. Also, you may have noticed, if you look closely, that there are several special UK features - I especially like the herd ornament to keep people out of the way, and those shinny lights to burn thru that ever present UK fog. I know they used to say the sun never sets on the British Empire, but that doesn't mean you can always see it. There are some other special UK features if you look closely. Lets see if anyone else can pick them out.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (head'm up, move'm out)

Hi Guys,
Thanks to Harry Bersell what a fantastic job he has done with my photos I sent him of my restored cubs.
Hope you all enjoy them.
Best Regards John Sergeant UK

Could someone post a pic of the electric left set-up and actuator? I've got a red actuator that I think is the same as was used on a Cub Cadet.

236875.jpg

John Sergeant - I think it's about 6:30 AM over in your neck of the woods. Give us some details on how you use your Originals and 70 and 100. They do look fantastic.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die

H'y again I'm not to sure how they came to the UK I'm just pleased they did The cub's with the ball couplings I use them to push/pull a heavy box trailer this has my 72 pipe fair ground organ in side we go out most weekends playing it at steam and vehicle rallys,We collect for the Birmingham Childrens Hospital.
Best Regards John Sergeant

Hi Harry,
It's 12/15 am Saturday and tonight we put our clocks on 1 hour summer time starts John

Latest posts

Back