Archive through March 21, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtanner

displayname
Donald Tanner
Frank-

I got some over here . I guess they need to know what to get.

255786.jpg

Looking though some of my Cub Cadet stuff and found this. Why in 1969 would this be "optional"?
255792.jpg

255793.jpg

Tom, notice that they only list the 70 and 100. The compression release was introduced with the 71, 1x2/3 series. Here's an excerpt from the 71, 1x2/3 brochure. Note the "NEW!" statement.

255795.jpg

OK, just seems to me that I woldn't want to spend the HUGH $10.35 or the EVEN BIGGER $12.95 + labor to do that in a 70-100

Tom-
If you ask me, that's a sale-tactic for <FONT COLOR="ff0000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="000000">H</FONT> to target people looking for "accessories" for their Cubs.

When you think about it back then, you have a 70 or a 100 that is about 3 years old, and you see that compression release in the accessories-brochure that is on the new tractors. Kinda makes you want to get one of those "new" FANCY 122's to replace that old 70 now, doesn't it?
happy.gif

Art,
I remeber when I was a kid, I wanted the Ol' man to sell the 100 and get one of those HIGH POWER 122 soooooo bad. I used to go to the local IH dealer (A.J. Firnbach & Sons) and grab pile and piles of brouchers. Gaud, I wish I still had them.

Harry the other day in the 169 thread I mentioned a longer steering tube,

Here is what my book says; IH used two different steering gearboxs on the quiet line series.
Tractors made after serial# 530858 have a Ross steering box with IH part# 400884R91. The previous tractors used a Ross box with IH# 548085R91.

The new steering box has a 1" longer tube to provide more clearance between the steering wheel and hydro control lever. it also states it happend on Feb 28, 1975

This is what it says in my book, Maybe Charlie, Kraig, or Paul have more info on this..

Jeff - yes I know you mentioned that and I was hoping you'd measure the amount of your tube that is exposed from the dash plate to the bottom of the steering wheel, and I would check that measurement against mine. I believe my 169 has the correct tube (even tho I have a post production steering wheel on it with a really nice silver IH on the triangular center cap).

Eliza,
I'm near Syracuse, there is a guy in Ontario. NY, Adams, Geneva, and Greece.

to keep it on topic,

CubCubCubCubCubCubCubCubCubCub

What a crock!
Part no. kh-41-041-03 pan gasket has been discontinued. I ordered 30 on 3-19-2013 & CCC shipped out 27 and canceled 3.

Rumor has it that over 50 Cub Parts related to our pre 1981's are going NLA yet this year, Grrrrrrrrr

oh cool scott.......was beginning to think i was the only one. my folks are from fulton so im familiar with the area

CHARLIE - Would those 50 parts be mostly engine parts or other parts used on the tractors? Might be time to stock up even more old CC parts!

TOM H. - IH put lots of those update parts in their parts & accessory catalogs. There wouldn't be part numbers & prices but I even remember IH Fire-Crater sleeve & piston kits for the older Farmall's being in them. Every season there would be one in the mail from the local IH dealer. The tractor focused catalog would be in late winter, the planter/tillage implement would follow a month or two later, then the mower/baler & combine issue a while after that. Then the fall harvest issue in the late summer/early fall. Then the interesting mail call would be the next year's BUYER'S GUIDE with EVERYTHING new in it in the late fall.

Back around the same time you had your catalog collection, I had a pretty good one too. Oldest IH brochure I had was for the 450 FARMALL, had the 460/560/656/706/806. Had some Allis-Chalmers, Oliver, and even a couple JD brochures. In fact I still have the 4010 brochure and the post card the local JD company store in Moline sent out in fall of '60 where they were displaying the "Brand New 4010-diesel". Seemed like a neat tractor until Dad bought a '63 model in '68. It was the ONLY tractor Dad owned I remember working on to keep it running more than I remember running. A brand new 756 diesel or 826 sure would have been a much better deal. Would have cost twice as much as the 4010 to buy but repairs would have been ZERO. Dad spent at LEAST the purchase price of the 4010 in repairs to keep it running over the four years he had it, 4 new tires, new paint, rebuilt electrical system, water pump, new clutch, major engine rebuild, new head gasket, and at least 2-3 injection pump rebuilds. All in about 1000 hours of running. The new tires, paint, & pump rebuild all happened before we took it to the field the first time. The tractor already had the 4020 kit in the engine in about 5 yrs & 3000 hours of use. Should have run like a new tractor.

ANYHOW, my brochure collection became MIA after our first move off the farm in Dec. '72. Was some time later that we went to look for it and couldn't find it. Folks did find my old baseball card collection from 1964/1965. I had maybe 40-50 cards, and the local baseball collector and auctioneer sold them for a little over $500. I had an almost perfect Roger Maris & Mickey Mantle rookie card in them which was most of the sale price. My brochure collection was in NO where near as good of shape. I studied that stuff, almost had it memorized. Every page was dog-eared.

Dennis,
Baseball cards vs Machinery brochures/paperwork....Have you seen this pices of brochures lately?? Roger Marris doesn't have anything on some IH stuff.

Denny,
That gasket was the only engine part, besides the normal stuff that Kohler has been dropping off for the last 3 or 4 years.
They are brain dead like CCC, they don't think there's any old K's still running, so why stock parts! HHHUUMMMPPHHFFTTT!

charlie,
there is a company here in Syracuse called Higbee gasket- they'll make anything you want, reasonably... (even though we shouldn't have to..) We use them here where I work for old equipment, and limited production runs..

http://www.higbee-inc.com/

Scott T.
Thanks, but I've got 3 other sources for K gaskets, Sometimes it's just easier to put common stuff in with another order than go other places to get the same thing, LOL
You know how hard it is to click the mouse, to switch websites!
biggrin.gif

CHARLIE - Week ago today I needed a -.010" K241 conn rod because the machine shop didn't have the one they'd been telling me they had for over a week. I called SIX small engine shops and got the same story from ALL six of them, "Nobodys running or rebuilding those old antique engines anymore... Why would anyone want one? Or stock one? "

I guess my question to them they never answered was, "Why would anybody stock an OEM sized rod for a 30-40 yr old engine? They'd all have enough wear on the rod journal to have had to been ground -.010" by now".

Back 6-7 yrs ago when I rebuilt my K321 other than the forged Alcoa rod & K361 cam I could buy all the parts I needed over the counter. Even the new cam followers I installed to run with the new cam. I'm starting to see the old K-series parts supply dry up and I REALLY don't like it. I have at least TWO more rebuilds I can do on both the K321 & 241. The +.020" & +.030" over-bore.

Guess maybe I should buy another CC to fix up and spread the hours out more between the tractors. Maybe add a 149 w/hyd lift & remotes to the herd.

Dennis: "Maybe add a 149 w/hyd lift & remotes to the herd."
thumbsup_old.gif
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back