• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 20, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roland B.,
Thanks a bunch! I guess I'll need to need to jack that baby up tonight and get under there with a bright light to find it then!
thumbsup.gif
The center axle zerk was tough to get grease into - I don't think it had been greased in quite some time! I'm hoping a good greasing is all that the steering box needs to free it up a bit....

Dennis F.,
Neat history lesson and triva fact! I'll have to quiz my friends with it!
wink.gif

Thanks for the help, Fellas!
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

Ryan - Ya might want to s if the hydro fan on th drivshaft nds rplacd and most likly clan out th crud built up on th hydro pump whil you hav th jack and light out.

Dnnis - I'll s if what you say is tru. I sur would lik to sav $100,000 !!

KNtucky, I think it only applis to "print" mdia, but I'm willing to giv it a try too. I hav on qustion though, ar capital lttrs worth mor?

Digger,
Thanks a bunch for posting the diagram indicating where the zerk is located! For some reason I wasn't able to see it when I was looking under there... From the diagram, it appears to be in the same location as it is on my 129, which I can see without any difficulty,,, weird....

KENtuckyKEN,
Good point! I should check the condition of the hydro cooling fan and inspect/remove/clean the crud that's undoubtedly holding heat on the top of the hydro unit. Hmmm, again, that area isn't as easy to get to as simply removing the center panel like what's on my 129...

I think I'll also remove the front wheels and re-pack the wheel bearings. They appear very dry & don't show any signs of grease at the front or rear of the hubs.

The removal of the damaged F/R hydro lever is proving to be a formidable task. Apparently a portion of the lever set screw is broke off or something because I can spin the lever (without turning the shaft) but there isn't any sign of the screw when looking into the lever hole. But the lever won't lift off. I don't want to pry on the dash in an effort to lift the lever as the dash is only made of a fiberglas material covered with the standard thin tin dash. I guess I'll need to somehow cut/split the lever into pieces to expose the shaft and then install another lever. I have a lever on my 125 parts tractor. Eventhough it's obviously a different casting, hopefully will still interchange with the 127.

Can anyone confirm that my 125 F/R hydro lever will work properly (same size shaft hole, etc.) on my 127?

Thanks again for the help, Guys!
Ryan W
beerchug.gif

Ryan, yes, the levers should be the same! I just sold my 127 they looked exactly the same as my 125..

Great find on the 582! I thought there were IH made 82 series that were red right before the sell? Am I wrong or were they possibly yellow/white? I've seen a yellow/white 782 but did not know the year.

Roland B. & Matt D.,

Thanks fellas for the response & lever information!

Ryan W
beerchug.gif

Tom Hill -

My suggestion: we have a topic titled "IH Cub Cadet's larger relatives." with a thread on Lo Boys. Please keep the Lo Boy discussion there - I've already moved your post there. Thanks...

Ryan:
You are at the point (unless you've already cut the lever) where I usually haul out the trusty Dremel (or is that a Drml, Kntuck??)with a small grinding stone and attack the set screw itself - I hate ruining NLA die cast stuff. Note that even a knockoff of a Dremel will work for something like this. A lot of time you don't have to completely grind it out - the vibration and friction will help loosen it. Even if you had to re-tap to a larger set screw thread size, it's worth a try (unless the chrome looks like the window cranks on our '51 Merc).........

RYAN - About the "E"'s
joker.gif
This place just takes some things WAY too serious....

Dang Dennis - I NEED $100,000 to finish this Toyota project! Spent $425 more yesterday on it! I'm knocking on $4k now
sad.gif

Ryan - I have about the same problem with my 129 handle/lever/whatchamacallit. I got the set screw out but the handle still wont lift off. I think it's slipped at sometime in the past and maybe crossed the splines up and burred.
You'll like working on a wide frame alot more than those NF's !!

KEN - I'm just surprised that the one little comment went SO FAR South so fast with You & Kraig. Sure made reading posts a PITB.
RYAN - On a more serious note....the steering gearbox zerk is one of those fragile press-in right angle zerks...it will rotate around without threading itself in/out...so it may not be facing the correct direction. But it could be totally missing too. The zerks on My 72 & 129 I had turned so I could grease them from above. Haven't turned the 70's yet and the 982 has the gas tank in the way so I can't.
Your tractor's is probably under an inch of crude.

Ryan, Here's looking at my parts 127 from the front. The grease fitting is in the middle of the front of the box pointing towards the left side.

53634.jpg

Latest posts

Back