• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of all aspects of IH Cub Cadet and other garden tractors.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Archive through March 17, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydroharry

displayname
Harry Bursell
Brian S - hey, why didn't you just dis-mount the tires and flip them over? Then you'd have nearly new lettering on the outside.
biggrin.gif

Hey all, was an electric lift available on a 127? I have only seen them on 147s

QL1000 - biggest mowing deck?

I've got a line on a nice condition quite-line 1000. It comes with one of the old, small decks. (38A?) My 1450 is down right now and awaiting an engine transplant. I need to mow now and the 1000 is priced reasonably so I was thinking about picking it up.

My question is, on flat land, what would be the biggest deck I could getaway with putting on it? I have a 50A (guessing that might be too much) and whatever the the middle size (40 something) is.

Thanks for any input. I'm torn about getting it but need something to mow with ASAP and expect the 1450 to be down for at least a few months due time constraints, finances, and other issues . It seems like cubs have gotten hard to find around here over the last couple years since I picked up mine. All I'm seeing now are total baskets cases, or tractors for parts (major compoents missing such as hydro), or mismatched sets (a 582 with a 36 inch deck) at sky high prices. I saw a 1250 for $500 and the owner admits shot ISOs but feels his price is fair (therefore firm) because he saw another posted for $850!

-Calvin

Calvin L.
If it were mine, I wouldn't go any bigger than a 42 or 44 on a 1000. Just my 3 cents.
The 50A was an option, but that's a 10 horse killer IMHO.

Calvin - based on what you said about finding Cubs I'd snag that 1000. The 10hp engine is the smoothest running (never had balance gears) so you really shouldn't expect an ISO-mount problem. As for handling a 50" deck - well I won't go as far as Charlie said. I think it will handle it sorta ok but alot depends on your grass. I've know alot of 10hp units handling a 48" ok and I can't imagine a 50 requiring that much more, but you might have to slow your drive speed to 1st gear.

If I were you I'd get the 100 package and just stick with the 38 deck it has, and then you can certainly stay with 2nd gear. It sounds like you'd really only need it for a few months anyway - so that's certainly the way I'd go.

And maybe some day you'll decide to convert it to a Hydro with all those parts units you mentioned were around you now. Heck, IH made the 109 as a 10hp hydro and I always wondered why they didn't make a 10hp Quiet Line Hydro (it would'a been a 1050). Probably those Marketing people again - and the hp craze of the 70's.

Hey - make sure you post some pics after you get it.

Allen - naw, probably need a mirror to read'm tho.

Brian - you'll have to read the manual for you put air in them cause it might look like it says "xam flate-in 14 isp"
biggrin.gif

Calvin don't listen to Harry as far as converting the QL1000 to hydro. He drinks and smokes too much hytran. Instead drop 16hp into it and make a powerful gear drive, the you could turn a 50in deck easy and not waste hp on pumping hytran.

Ok Calvin - I gotta admit I like Doug's suggestion too. Just make sure you keep that 50" deck underneath it. I had a 1200 that popped wheelies all the time without the deck - and sometimes it gets scary, and for that matter dangerous (maybe even why IH didn't do it) - course that was with the aluminum lower grill housing from a later production QL unit.

The UPS showed up yesterday.
thumbsup.gif
Can't wait to get these mounted but I think I'm going to order bearings and get the rims cleaned up before I do any thing else.

295161.jpg

Well, fortunately I don't have to do this very often. It's hard to admit when you're wrong.
Allen was correct. Even the lettering on Brian's new tires is gonna be upside down. I hope he flips them over.
pop.gif

I have a 1650 with a 10hp K341 inside, it's a wonderful smooth running quiet Quietline. The 44" mowing deck is plenty for it, in heavier grass I'm mowing really slow. I work for a mower blade sharpening company so I my blades are sharp. I wouldd not want a 50" under this.

This summer I should have a 1250 to mow with also, I'll see the difference with the 12hp.

I have my QA-36A snowthrower on this 10hp now, it has been on all winter but like Kraig and Charlie I've not gotten the chance to try it.

Here's a question for Kohler engine experts. I'm rebuilding my K301 and I have it disassembled except for the camshaft. I just can't see how to remove it. The manual is no help. I know some of you have done it. Any help would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Back