• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 06, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sshaff

displayname
Steve Shaff
The belt tension on my QA42 is mounted underneath (the manual mentions that some were like this). It also mentions a "lock" position, but I can't get mine to lock no matter what I try.

255021.jpg

Steve,
That's NOT the tensioner. In Ken Freeman's parts breakdown image you need to look for #13. That "triangualr" piece has a point to anchor/be stationary, a point where it pivots on and a adjusting point. You ned to look at the left side of the tractor and it should be there.

Tom, so what IS this? The belt does tighten when I turn this as the unit lowers...it also loosens as the unit raises when it's turned the other way...

Here's a pic taken from the left side of the tractor. I don't see anything here resembling an adjuster like the one shown on Ken's diagram...??

255030.jpg

So,, Wondering what's the scoop here. This is the exhaust on the 73 that I have in the shop. It's an 8HP K181S ser A 70561 spec 30117C and is black. I thought it should be a mandrel bent pipe threaded elbow like on a model 70. I think that's what the parts lookup shows anyhow.

This engine also has a super short, 7-3/4" long dipstick #A-231495 which also is not in the parts lookup.

Any thoughts here? John Boelens, is your #73 exhaust like this?? and w/a mini dipstick?

Dave S

255034.jpg

255035.jpg

Steve,
Ahhh is see, you have a QA. Go to page #5 in the QA-36/QA42 manual in the "Manuals" section Charlie has posted. Show what it shold look like

Tom, the "Note" at the lower right of page 8 of the manual refers to my setup (except mine doesn't seem to lock as it indicates).

Don T., I hope your weather guessers are right! And here's hoping your painting projects go smoothly.

David S., my 73 doesn't look like that. And the dipstick in mine isn't a "mini"... I can't say I've measured it, but it doesn't sound like that one.

Steve Shaff

I bought four Cubs a few weeks ago and had to ask the PO how to loosen the drive belt for the blower to remove the blower to transport it.He told me to loosen the four bolts in the plate and slide the plate up. this let the belt loose that I could roll the belt off the pto. It had no other way to adjust belt tension .

Steve,
I'd go under the tractor and make sure all the hardward is in tact. The triangle o[piece sould be there. Is the plate that carries the gearbox too tight that it doesn't slide up and down?

Don, I'm still learning the tricks of the trade with these gadgets. I guess you do what ya gotta do...

Tom, the plate you mention isn't there from what I can tell..the pic pretty much shows what is underneath. The unit DOES raise and lower when I turn the adjuster, however, and the belt tension DOES change.

Steve,
Does the tensioner draw down and it holds tight? Maybe you need to double nut it to keep in it position.

Tom--Unless I'm overlooking something (like how it locks), my next step will probably be drilling a hole and using bolt and jam nut (as suggested by Jeff B and Steve B yesterday).

Tom, Steve's QAxx has the early style tensioner that is mounted on the bottom.

Steve S., I believe the "locked" position is just parallel with the mounting plate. Perhaps when they were new there was enough friction between the tension handle and the frame to lock it.

255045.jpg

Craig, my thoughts exactly...thanks for confirming them.

Don, on a QAxx and a QAxxA those four bolts should not have to be messed with... There should be spacers on them that allow them to be tight but not so that the bracket will not slide up and down. If you look at the exploded view of the QAxxA subframe item #8 is the spacer. However, on a BB36 or a CW36 you may have to loosen those 4 screws to adjust the belt tension.

Steve S., you should still be able to fashion some sort of latch to keep it from coming loose. Easiest would be something like the wire that Charlie posted.

I think I asked this quick question and the answer was YES, but not sure I understand the answer...
1a_scratchhead.gif

I've got a 42 inch cast iron deck for my 122. Can I convert it from a pin-on type deck to a to a QA type deck?

The cast iron deck has fixed pin brackets at the rear of it, which I suppose I could swap out with spring loaded type used on the QA decks, as well as, swap the metal round lifting eyes on the front of the deck with the cast iron needle eye type used on a QA deck. I've got some of this spare hardware from a deck that I scrapped. With these mods (if possible) then I gather the converted pin-on to QA deck would work with my 126's QA deck sub-frame and I'd be in business?

Bill, that should be doable. I've never looked close enough at them to be sure. Never considered it.

Tom, here's a photo from a QAxx snowthrower sales flier. Note the belt tension handle's location. Steve has this style.

255050.jpg

Kraig...not quite. Mine is underneath the belt pulley and not really visible in your photo. Having said this, it does appear something may be protruding from under the plate toward the front...this could be part of the adjuster handle. See my first pic for a better view from the BACK side of the plate under the pulley.

Back