• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through March 01, 2013

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keith-

The lower shield holes in the frame are tapped for 10-32 cap screws also if I'm correct. The factory screws require a 5/16" wrench and I'm pretty sure of that. I guess it would be easy enough to tap them to 1/4-20 to make finding fasteners easier. I just leave mine off because they do catch a lot of debris.

Wayne Shytle

Your never going to get Harrys 100 points on your tractors if you use different screws and leave parts off.
bottom.gif
correct%20police.gif
feint.gif
yikes.gif
254806.gif

254807.gif
coffee.gif

Thanks Wayne, It doesn't seem like this tractor is going to see much work so I'm trying to put all the parts on it that it should have came with.
Not going to be a 100%'er but close as I can get it.

KEITH - Since you've got the lower frame cover I'd install it. Of the four CC's I've owned, only the 72 had the proper cover when I bought it, and it's been on & off dozens of times. I made covers for the 129 & 982 since they didn't have them. It really keeps the debris from getting up to the cooling air screen on the flywheel and eventually blocking the cooling air fins. I made the one for the 982 from two layers of expanded alum. mesh I had when I took the large satellite dish we had apart 20 yrs ago when we bought this house. I can tell when it gets plugged when I mow, I can feel the air flow increase past the trans speed control lever & throttle lever on the dash. But the grass screen on the flywheel stays clean!

The shield is getting painted and put on. I found a rubber grommet for the sparkplug hole too. Not original but fits perfectly. Came of a newer model car that has exaust manifold closed in.

Don-

I have my own scoring system. I'm one of the cub owners that likes to keep things as original as possible too but things like the tunnel cover screws I'll fudge on because they're a pita. I never run with the belly plate and I've never had my flywheel screen clogged either. That's what compressed air is for. Most units I've acquired with the belly plate I've found as much as an inch of dirt and crap built up. I don't care to carry that mess back to the barn so all plates are removed. They hinder greasing the steering box too. I do have a nice nail they all hang on.

Nice Google poster in the garage!

Keith,

I am like Wayne, and like to keep my stuff as original as possible. I do like to personalize my stuff somewhat so that I can really say it was my idea. (That is so self-centered!) I do think the belly pan is important because it keeps an air tunnel to the hydro charge pump, and will keep it cooler with a proper fan. So, kuddos to you for replacing the belly pan. I am happy to know that your tractor work is progressing nicely.

Now for the use of the tractor, won't that cute granddaughter of yours need a ride rather often?

Brian, Yea, she don't miss a ride. But the mower deck and mule drive will probably be painted greased and hung on the wall. I'll be pulling a wagon I made with it. Which is another project when I get the tractor put back together. I gotta paint the wagon white and yellow to match. I'll start a thread in the refurbish column.

Wayne
I could get in troube for this ; But I believe the 100 point system belongs in the restore a refurb section .If I see a problem area with my tractors I don`t think twice about them not being true IH. Like the front wheel bearings. One I have here has brass bushings to replace the bearings.and the ti rod ends lol. If they are to be workers I change them out to High Strength Heim Joint . depends if you just want a show tractor that only will see some parade work, the stock will handle that . but for loader and heavy work I think the tractor needs some help .
ihrotate.gif

To each his/her own in regards to "100 point" restorations, but this is a sign that I normally display with my Cub Cadets
254825.jpg

That's a great sign Paul. I feel the exact same.

Technically it would be almost impossible to "restore" a cub or any other brand for that matter because of the availability of proper paint, fasteners, etc. It's the first word that comes to most people when they talk about fixing up an old item but I just ignore it and keep walking.

Wayne, Paul, & Donald, I could not agree more, My Tractor is perfect to me, and will have my idea's and improvements on it whether I use it for work or not I'm proud of this 1650. Sure is nice to talk to other people to point us all in the right direction sometimes.

Paul,

With credit to you, I would like to copy that sign. It makes a lot of sense.

Keith,

I could not agree more with you. When I bought my 1250 Nightmare, it was in far rougher condition that I imagined. Without the advice and support of most of the members here, I couldn't have ever thought of getting the tractor to a point where I very much enjoy it.

Paul;thanks for posting that. I agree with it completely and would like to print that off so it can be seen in my shop. You have summed up my feelings completely.
worthy.gif

Mine would all get zeros on the "correct" scale! But... I don't really care. I don't have a single Cub that isn't highly modified......and it's fine with me!

Keith, Wayne, Dennis and Don - yes, there would be a deduction if the plate is missing. There would be no deduction if "slightly" oversized fasteners were used as long as they have the correct head stamping and shape. In my view IH generally did not add something to the tractor they didn't think was necessary, and they didn't leave something off they thought was necessary (except maybe the early hydro by-pass tube loop and metal fan with shroud).

Paul - I really have no issue with your sign or your feelings about restorations, refurb, etc. It's actually nice to know someone knows "what is, and what is not correct". I actually appreciate your participation, and especially your knowledge of IH Cub Cadet details, history and facts. The problem I have with many people is that they "think" they know what is correct. I actually like to see alot of the improved items, as long as it is actually improved. I have no issue with Don T using many improved items. I DO have a problem with some guy that uses a cheap $3 front wheel bearing so you can drive the tractor around, buy it, and get it home only to have it fail, then call the guy and him tell you - oh just go buy another $3 bearing - ooh, and it's just to bad the bearing scored the spindle and that will cost you $80.
Overall, I don't consider myself a member of the Correct Police even tho many probably think I am. When I look for 100 point tractors it tells me who ever did it at least attempted to do it correctly, and took pride in what they were doing. Here's a pic of a decal that was included on some Cub Cadets (actually from CCC). When I found it I started to include it on every Cub Cadet I restored or refurbed. I have one on my 169. It's not the best pic and I didn't count the stars, but it certainly says it like it is or was.

254837.jpg

Steve - Mr. Plow - you might be surprised at the points you'd score. I think you're paint colors are correct. I see a pic with alot of correct wheel weights. You have nice decals AND I know you have many many many really great improvements, and more than that, I know you take great pride in your tractors.

Archive Bug, don't bite me now.
254842.jpg

254843.jpg

The next baby step towards re-assembling the K341 was to install the balanced and reground crankshaft from Kirk Engines.

Frank A. Currier(Northern Maine)

I can`t wait to hear that Cub run.
animatedihbear.gif

Latest posts

Back