Archive through March 01, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cstouffer

displayname
Corey Stouffer
hey guys i have a serious problem on my hands with the cub 71,,,,,,the standard rebuild kit for a k-161 is measured at 2.9 something,,,,well my engine cylinder measures at about 2.875,,,,,if any of you guys have any information about this special thing please let me know asap,,,,,also the engine was never torn down, and it had a stock steel govenor gear,,,,,is this normal?,,,,,charlie anybody please help,,,,,,,

Justin H Wow, you're going International,
greenthumb.gif
Excellent!!!

This is worthy of "the big one"
greenthumb.gif

Now, how'd you get recognized there?
1a_scratchhead.gif

my friend peter in the U.K. saw some pics i had put up on facebook, and requested i send him the original pics in high quality. he wrote that little piece up and sent it to me for approval. ive read quite a few of his pieces in the magazine.

Kool justin! Now youre famous like charlie bryan and kraig also!! lmao
clappy.gif
1a_scratchhead.gif
bottom.gif
buttrock.gif
ihrotate.gif

hey guys out there,,,,,,please any info on the motor would help me tonight!,,,,,,congrats justin for the article!

Converting a manual angle snowplow to hydraulic:
A sideshift cyl. from a fork truck (lift) worked perfect on the one I converted. I think it came off a 3000# lift. Saved it when I changed some of our lifts from fork to carton clamp. Clamp has its own sideshift. New trk. cylinders have been redesigned. Body bolts to carriage with rods extending from both ends. Suppose those could be used to convert to power steering.
186187.jpg

186188.jpg

186189.jpg

186190.jpg

Forgot to thank Kraig for posting the conversion diagram. This was approximately 3yrs. ago and he has posted that same diagram several times since. I think I saw it again a couple of pages back where I am currently trying to catch up on all the post(s).

justin, what does the parenthases 15 mean With the temperature dropping to freezing Justin (15) of Portland, Maine, in the USA woke to find a good 2-3 inches of fresh snow on the ground. in
the tractor magazine artical.

Corey S:
The standard bore on both the the K161 and K181 is 2.938" The stroke is 2.500" for the K161 2.750" for the K181. The odd size may indicate a sleeved jug..

corey, call me crazy but the stock governer gear wasnt steel? its a plastic material, steel ones ive seen on epay... pullers???? anyways i believe it was myron but someone talked a while back about the change in bore size for the k-161 blocks sometime during prodution... anyone got an answer to my question on the last page?

Corey,

Kendall is missing one thing. The are two different bore sizes for the K161. You have any early engine. Also, Matt is wrong. Kohler had steel governor gears in the early days.

So sounds like you have an early engine and either need to bore it out to the later bore size or buy a Kohler piston for the early bore engine. The parts are available I rebuilt mine a couple years ago. You can also just use the newer style plastic governor gear.

Note that Kohler lists just one bore size for the K-161 in the rebuild manual...
186193.jpg

John - did the "early" 161 have a different crank also??? (to make up the otherwise missing cubes)..or maybe they had to boost the displacement to meet the marketing guys horsepower ratings..

Kendell
clappy.gif

Adam Briar, Is that a 12 volt cordless drill, wired to the tractor?

Greg L. Great pics showing your weight bracket. Between what Dennis F. and you've provided I'll be able to give the weldoing shop a good idea of what I desire for a bracket. A BIG THANKS to both of you!!!
greenthumb.gif

I have a Cub Cadet 126 with the original rims does anyone know the largest size AG tires that will fit, both front and back.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back