• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 29, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frank:
Thanks for the info. I'm thingking that the #7 is the size of the reamer as well as the size of the pin. However, they don't show a #7 size pin, only up to 6???

Had a nice visit from Steve Bauer today. I helped him tune up his 782 a bit by cleaning and putting brushes in the starter, installing David Kirk's Pointsaver and coil, installing new spark plugs, installing new points, and re-timing the engine. Also spoke with David Kirk via phone twice to clear up a couple of things in the instructions that weren't quite clear to me. He's a great guy to talk to, as well
bouncy.gif

193106.jpg

After we finished, I tried to get him hooked on the diesels..I think I succeeded
whistling.gif

193107.jpg

Harry B.,
Thanks for the complements on my 128. I could probably write a book telling what all took place, but I will try to keep it short and sweet. If you have any more questions, I will be glad to answer every one.
Each and every piece was taken apart except the inside of the tranny and the inside of the motor. They were in good shape. Everything was sanded down to the metal, primed with auto primer, and painted with Case/IH Irongard paint. I used OEM parts when possible. Sometimes OEM parts were not available, or not feasible. For example: a CC drive shaft would have cost me around $100, and I bought one milled out and drilled for around $25 which included all the roll pins. A 6.5'x12' trailer framed up with a tarp and plastic provided the paint booth. Spraying bug spray around the booth helped to keep the bugs/gnats out. The parts were stored in my basement on cardboard with a dehumidifier running to keep any rust from forming between the sanding and priming. Chains with clothes hangers cut and bent into hooks were used to hang parts on to paint and prime. A handtruck/buggy and hoist (come-along) were used to move around the tranny. It took quite a while to complete, but it was worth it. I have also restored a 70.
Here's a pic of the 128 engine area and a pic of my 70.

193115.jpg

193116.jpg

Dear Diary,
I did it again. I bought another IH Cub Cadet.

This one is a 1450 from Sept 1977 production so it has all the upgrades except for the 1" front wheel spindles. It came with a 44A mower deck, 42" blade, tire chains, and a set of turf and ag tires on rims. It appears to have been stored under cover as there is little rust or paint fading. The hour meter reads 243 and I think that's right as the tractor doesn't look as though it has been used over 600 hours. It has some modifications on the lift lever and forward/reverse knob, but nothing I can't undo to make it look 'stock'. Unfortunately a prior owner stored the mower deck outside on it's nose so snow/rain collected and rusted a few holes that now need patching. However the spindles are tight and the baffles in good condition.

I'm at least the third owner. The guy I bought it from had to sell it make room in the yard/garage. His wife insisted on getting him a new JD riding mower, even though he knew the 1450 was a better machine.

What am I going to do with it? I don't know yet.
193118.jpg

193119.jpg

193120.jpg

Jeff Baker,

The seller on eBay lists the same digital tach at different prices.

Matt - I noticed that as well, but I didn't want to say anything to the guy. Also the chains are on the ag tires, not the turf tires. As I understand it chains are more effective on turf tires.

This is my fifth Cub Cadet, and I can't see getting another. It's sort of like having five girlfriends: a blonde, a redhead, a brunette, a raven haired, and the one you don't tell your mother about.

Jeff Baker: (Balance Gears). They're part of what I'm wondering about. We'll find out, because I'm going to put a mower deck under her and run her WOT until either mowing season is over or something blows. You'll be among the first to know which happens! From previous discussions and noting that the oil dipstick is down to the left on this K301 I'm inclined to think it might have balance gears in it. I'll know if
happy.gif
it blows!

Roy N. Absolutely a great find. Now if'n you don't know what to do with it.... I take donations like that little fella. Just send it my way.
193131.gif

Fancy's found a couple of new cliparts...current Fancy
193132.gif
..... new Fancy #1
193133.gif
... and new Fancy #2
193134.gif

And one for Charlie P. since he lives up in Moose country ...
193135.gif

I'm going to bed. Not enough Cub time right now between work and the summer Iowa Monsoon season going on.

Kraig,
I think your PTO will be a bit cheaper to rebuild than mine. My tiller quit working on my repowered 109 last week. I suspected clutch trouble so I just pulled it in the shed and finally got to checking it out Monday, Luckily it did this when I was a bout 3' from having the last pass done.

193137.jpg

Kevin, what a dream tractor for me, I am always looking for one.

But Kevin You MUST hit enter after each photo so they stack up and down.

Did you start with a new hour meter? and what did the original have for hours?

Thanks Jeff..I wondered why they piled up..The hour meter had about 600 hrs on it..The lens was so fogged you could barely read it..I took super duty rubbing compound and rubbed it by hand until it was smooth..I would set and watch tv and rub it with a rag for a few hours..Then I would go to finer compound like Perfect-it until it was perfectly clear..and then painted the ring..It looks like new now..

Loaders do come in handy every once in a while, mom's mower needed new blades and a deck belt.
The ole 72 came to the rescue.
193158.jpg

Latest posts

Back