Archive through June 27, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fmorski

Ken:
That is why I have both analog and digital. And you are right...need to recalibrate after each battery change.

Digger;
I was looking at that tool on criminal-bay yesterday. Copped some pictures so I can make me one....
Does it have a colar that slips over the end next to the threaded rod to help keep it alinged?

Matt D. I made my own "compressor" using a couple pieces of angle iron and some all thread. I used the vice until my few Cub Cadets became a fleet. It's a little slow, but easy to use.

61681.jpg

I was looking at the feild coil on my 982 front PTO and noticed the sealing compound around the coil is fractured. Has anyone removed the old sealer and epoxy filled/sealed?

Jim

Charlie,

Thanks for the input.

My guess that is that the company the made the coils used some type of viscous filer that hardened. I guess if I choose an appropriate epoxy (high temp, minimal shrinkage) for the application, the results should be acceptable. Maybe a polyester resin might work also. In the past 25 yrs there surely something that works as well or better.

Jim

You need to use the same material that MSD uses to POT their MSD Racing Ignition systems. It does not shrink. A guy named Joe Pando was my contact person at MSD 4 years back. Not sure if he is still there. They may give you some idea as to what to use. It does not shrink and does dampen vibration. NHRA required that all their systems be potted to prevent tampering.

Marlin, all I got is befor pics right now. It's in thousand pieces, PO had a bunch of holes drilled in it to access pins I believe and holes in the pedestal where he had all thread bent around the collum to hold it still. Had alot of weldin to fill them all, then fixin cracks in the frame. Got an easy 1/8" slop, probably more, in the rear axles. Bushings are toasted, hopefully not to the point of needing axles.
61685.jpg

61686.jpg

Frank - MSD got the formula from my ol lady ... she calls it gravy.

Jim - Straight Polyester Resin would be to brittle (hard) to take the vibes. Bondo<sup>©</sup> which is made from polyester resin would be more pliable and withstands heat pretty good. (I use it to pour lead parts) I mix resin and Bondo together to thin the body filler for pouring into mold cavities when I'm making a new pattern.

Like Digger said, report back if you do it 'cause I have a working pto that needs re-sealed too.

Have not posted here in a while.
Check out the following:http://wisconsinhistory.org/whi/feature/mccormick/
Go to the tractor for the pictures
Later
<font size="+1"><font color="808080">{</font><font color="0000ff">:</font><font color="ff6000">-</font><font color="808080">{</font><font color="aa00aa">)</font></font>

Looking at Brendan's pics reminds me of something I think about everytime I see those old rear tire's tread. New Holland used the same pattern on their hay rakes and my dad had the same tread on his old Valiant when I was 6. (is that spelled right? not seen one in years)

Frank W - Get back in here and post! You about ready to come by for another photo op ? ;)
<font color="ff0000">KOOL PICS</font>

Frank,

The compound used currently on automotive ignitions is more advanced than what was used on the CC 982 PTO from around 1980.

The hard part is getting yours hands on a small quantity of said product in/from the Automotive Ind.

You have provided good insight into other possible sources and opportunities.

I work in the Detroit area!

Thanks,

Jim

Rchristensen,
Yes, that is it exactly. Sorry for the long delay on the response, we have company for a week and are entertaining. I want to get this fixed, is there a place that has good pictures like the one you posted?
I do appreciate your time, thank you.
David

Jim P:

I have done two PTO's as you describe. One I did with JB Weld and the other with a Permatex Product.
To this date, both have held up.

61693.jpg

KENtucky, Frank W., yep time for an updated photo, this one is already over 5 years old!

61695.jpg

There are many great projects members have posted here as evidenced by the several "before" and "after" pictures. Here is a "before" of my summers project. It is an unrestored 800 that should clean up decently for it's age with some elbow grease and a little cash. I've spent $6.00 at the quarter squirt to get more of it yellow and white again, replaced the missing hood latch plate and bumpers, and elbow greased the side covers before taking this picture. Disclaimer: It's been in the upper 80's most of the week and that 'tool' from the show-me-state in the lower right is what it looks like.
61698.jpg

Mike Waltz -

Thanks for sharing a pic of your 800. How well does it pull the 44 deck?

I haven't mowed with it yet but I suspect the 44A might put a load on the Kohler especially in thick grass. There's alot of empty space under the hood compared to a 1650!

Jim P. I used fibreglass resin to repair two coils about two years ago, so far no problems.

Latest posts

Back