• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 16, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcalkins

displayname
DAVID A CALKINS
Jeremiah,first i,m a retired machinist ,and as a hobby i restore cubs and others ,.my first cub i rebuilt did have the knock .and the next one i set out to see why ,so i set the cam up in the lathe and found each end was off as much as .008 and other end was off as much as .005 so i machined both ends true ,and as for the end side of the block it was off as well ,so i made a lapping tool and lapped them both true .and made new shims to pick up the clearance to give it .007 on both the cam and crank .i try too keep them the same because if you don,t one will clime the other ,and there is the knock ,this was the last knock i ever had ,and i have rebuilt many of the K engines ,and there is not much else true about thease engines either ,i do have photos of what i have done ,but sorry i can,t send them .because i have the new 8.1 p/c and its more than i can handle to sent photos .i hope any of this helps .David

I've a 1450 - what is the length of the belts I need for mower, tiller, snow thrower -- how do I measure old belts -- #'s ?

Stinkers,, Had a minor setback today when I went to start the 109. The front mounting bolt on my s/g rattled loose and out and I guess the back one could not take the stress.

287513.jpg

Kraig - Oh Great One Keeper of the Photos - yes I saw your post encouraging Brian to contact Charlie. Then I saw Brian post again which made it sound like he didn't find the pulley you were suggesting since he posted a link from the CC Parts look up and not Charlie's listing for it. I just wanted to make sure he knew Charlie had the right stuff. I like Charlie's site but like alot of the web stuff, if you don't know where to look you can't always find what you're looking for, and alot of people don't like to make inquiries for fear of sounding like they don't know what they are asking for (I guess that could actually be me alot of the time).
So, it looks like Charlie got back to Brian and he's ordered up himself a couple of good pulleys for his tiller set up.

Jeff B - gol'dang'it there. I don't think they sell those replacement ends any more. You're gonna have to get yourself a good used one (should be plenty around).

Harry B.
That's why we have the Parts Look Up button at the top of every page.
Get the part number go to any website that has a search engine or google, enter that number in and it will take you to the page that part is on.
thumbsup.gif

Charlie: Part numbers are certainly useful for finding things on the web, but the customer must have the right part number, and enter it correctly for the search function to work. I've found things on your site by both part number search, and by simply browsing. I've also ordered items without a part number simply because you state that they will work "better than the original" --I'm thinking rubber seat bumpers, brass PTO buttons, steel steering bushings, etc. So, while you're certainly not steering anyone wrong, I applaud Harry's attempt to be helpful.

Something else about Parts Lookup that I didn't discover until well after a year of using it, the "right" part number is often not revealed until you "Add it to the cart" at which point the part number in the illustration is cross-referenced and an actual photograph of the part often appears on the screen (--unless you hit the dreaded NLA). I've never actually ordered off the MTD site, but I'm sure they get my money in any case.

David: I believe, sir, that you point up the difference between IH as the manufacturer interested in producing and shipping the equipment and yourself as a craftsman interested in making it run --right! Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure to true up the ends of both the cam and crank shafts when I reassemble the K301. I'm sure, though, there are many other "tips, tricks, facets, and fundamentals" which you know and which I will only learn by experiencing their lack.
smile.gif

How time flies. I can't remember where the idea started, but this goes back to at least 2002. I know I can find back to at least 2004 on here. We're now 3 parts short of being finished. Nearly 100% factory IH, Kohler, and Cub Cadet parts spanning 40 years of interchangeablity.
287555.jpg

Wyatt, I found this in my archives:

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

By Wyatt Compton (Wcompton) on Sunday, December 16, 2001 - 08:28 am:

Almost far enough along to sit on it and make tractor noises!<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

287557.jpg

Whoa. 2001?

Well, that would have been two months after moving behind the Cheddar Curtain, where day trips to Dan's, Don's, and Dennis's were how weekends were occasionally spent.

That grille casting was from my first Cub Cadet, which goes back to fall of 1999.

Wyatt, in a word, inspirational!
happy.gif

Not to be confused with International.
happy.gif
happy.gif

Wyatt - nicely done and really sweet don't quite do it. That looks like a terrific tractor (and coming from a diehard OEM type, that's usually hard for me to say). You said you're 3 parts short of being finished. What might those be? I don't see anything missing.

This week has been both a sad and happy time for me. I have realized that I am too old and crippled up to take care of my 5 Cub Cadets. 3 of the 5 are broken down with a burnt valve, broken drive shaft pin, broken PTO and belt issues. So this week I bought a new zero turn Cub Cadet with a steering wheel and I love it. It has cut my mowing time in half. I am slowly fixing my 169, 125, and 149. I am going to keep my fathers 129 that I get up leaves with that he bought in 1973. I have thoroughly enjoyed restoring the Cub Cadets, but I am keeping 2 to keep it interesting. Many thanks to all of you guys for all the help over the years.

Good luck in just keeping 2, Dave! I'd guess the 129 is a given, so you'll be choosing 1 of the others to keep. Somehow, they all develop their own personalities and histories. I just sold a 123 to a guy here in town. They just happen to be the same age. He assured me that he has some mechanical knowledge and has a place to keep her under cover but it was still hard to see her leaving the premises! Today's mail brought an owner's manual for it which I dropped off to him this afternoon.
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back