• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 26, 2007

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcbusch

displayname
Terry Busch
Kraig,
You are correct I meant flow. Just trying to
61641.gif
angel.gif

Electrical People,
I understand the difference between zero and infinity. I also understand that nothing that I know of conducts electricity with absolutely no resistance. My meter reads zero when I touch the leads together, and I know that there is a minute amount of resistance from one probe through the circuit to the other probe.
What I didn't understand was the FAQ statement:
"It should show no resistance, infinity"
Those are the exact opposites. The way it is written, it seems that it is telling us that they are the same. I believe that it should read "It should show infinity". Why am I wrong? I'm not trying to stir things, I really want to know why I'm wrong. If this is pushing the rules (Charlie/Bryan?)of this forum, we can take it to another department, or use private email.
Larry,
Did you check the Cub Cadet Parts Lookup at the top of the page?

Bruce, which FAQ entry states that? I just want to have a quick read of it. Hmmmm "Electrical People" sounds like a cheesy 80's band..........

Kraig,
It's FAQ #21. It takes you to the Simplicity site. Look at #4, under "Troubleshooting Charging".

Bruce, Ah, I see it there. Yes I would agree that is poorly written, it is written as to what the meter is showing, it is showing infinity or no reading. I think it should say something more like:

"The meter should show no needle movement or infinity. If the reading is 0 ohms you have a shorted armature. If it is 40 or more ohms, it probably has carbon dust between the commutator bars and the frame or shaft. Blow it out all around the commutator and windings."

In any case that is on a website that is out of "our" control.

Kraig,
Its not only poorly written its technically incorrect.

Good thing we have a FAQ quality control manager with a high work ethic.
thumbsup_old.gif

My 100 stoped charging the battery.
I have checked the start/gen, it is putting out 14.45 volts, and I get a reading of 13.56 volts comming off the batt. terminal of the voltage reg. But I am not reading anything more than 12.57 volts at the battery.
I get the same reading at the battery with or with out the motor running.

What should I be looking for to fix this problem?
I see no broken wires or disconected wires.
All was working find Saturday, but today when I go to start the 100 the battery did not have enough charge to turn over the motor faste enough to start without first charging the battery for an hour.

Good evening fellows. Thanks for all the information regarding my problem. I'm still confused about why my meter only reads a 1. When I turn the meter on in the resistance mode, it reads 1. When I touch the two probes together it goes to zero. When I put one probe on the commutator and the other on the armature it still reads 1. I blew the black dust out of it and put it back together. My battery is now charged up so tonight I'm going to try the test outlined in Charlie's FAQ section. I'll let you know what happens.
Thanks again!

Guys, I could use some help with a 1450 leaking around the control lever out of the seal behind it.
Can this be fixed without dismantling the hydro unit itself?
I'd appreciate any help,
David

Kevin your meter is working properly. On digital meters some display _ _ _ _ other put a 1 in the right hand digit like your. there saying the same thing, infinite resistance. Your armature is good if you have infinite from commutator to shaft. if you probe from one segment to another segment of the commutator you should get a low reading like maybe 5 to 40.

I performed the test outlined in Charlie's FAQ #47. The starter generator performed just like it's supposed too. Put it back on the tractor ran it for a few moments and everything seems to be fine. Don't know why, I really didn't do anything! Next time I mow will be the real test.
Thanks again.

I guess I should have posted this thing that Myron passed on to me a while back before I left for South Dakota for the day.
Basic Electrical info.
CLICK HERE

Kevin C.
Just in case you need it later on for your S/G,
CLICK HERE

Kevin,
You did do something.

"I blew the black dust out of it and put it back together"

Carbon brush dust between the Commutation bars can short the bars together. If the short is strong enough the generator will not produce enough voltage.

Here is some interesting reading. Check out chapter 1.
http://tinyurl.com/2dg2qf

I understand that the Cub operator was just in the wrong place at that wrong time....

But, just a reminder to every one, that you need to be aware of your surroundings.

Hate to see tragedies like this...

"Fatal Crash in Champaign County"
Written by Matt Strayer
Monday, 25 June 2007
A rural Urbana woman is dead after she was hit by a minivan while mowing her lawn.

The Marysville Post of the State Highway Patrol responded to a fatal crash on US Route 68 just south of Clark Road in Champaign County around 2:30 p.m. Monday.

Troopers report that 72-year-old Beatrice Slaven of DeGraff was driving a 2001 Ford Windstar southbound on US 68 when she went off the left side of the road, striking a Cub Cadet riding lawn mower.

The operator of the mower, 40-year-old Joni Sheaffer, was pronounced dead at the scene by the Champaign County Coroner.

The accident is still under investigation.

West Liberty and Urbana Fire and EMS and the Champaign County Sheriff's Office assisted the State Highway Patrol at the scene.

http://www.examiner.org/news06.26.1.php

There is no such thing as an infinite resistor.....but then again you guys didn't know the girls I dated in High School either......
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Wow, looks like I touched off a whole page worth of "sparks and magic" discussion today.......

Latest posts

Back