• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 23, 2004

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcompton

displayname
Wyatt Compton
Gosh, just realized that RPR is this weekend, though it's only a couple hours from home I'm not going to be able to make it, got something much more important to work on at home, and it's not a Cub!

Denny-
I've been getting the little dog beef leg bones down at the locker, believe it or not she usually finishes them off within a day, or at least has them down to something smaller than my fist. Found some "anti-chewing" animal-safe stuff tonight at Theisen's. <NOTE: do spray items over a sink, but be sure to close the window at the sink, a sudden breeze tastes awful!>

Did some work with the 149 tonight leveling about 2,000sq/ft of black dirt and planting grass seed where our yard was ripped up last Spring for an additon to our house.
19782.jpg

19783.jpg

I've never been a big fan of the Agri-Fab and Brinly rear box blades as dirt movers, but they do work great with no weight on the weight bracket as a "drag" to level tracks and uneven spots from larger equipment.

Once the grass seed was down, I had to find a classy way to bed it down so it doesn't dry out as easily. Here's what I came up with...
19784.jpg

happy.gif

This was the 149 that I had for sale here about a month ago, but decided not to sell it, and am I glad I didn't. I didn't realize it had as many problems as it did and would not have wanted to "dump" that on anybody.
Here's what it's had done to it in the last 2 weeks:
Remove tranny, replace cork gasket, repair (weld) hydro trunion, add missing brake linkage, JB weld/pop rivet steering box back together, rebuild steering box, weld crack in steering cross-member, add new driveshaft, engine coupler, pin, and tranny coupler, one new front tire to match the other new one it had, add 2nd (wide) lower bracket to 3-point hitch, repair wire harness, and adjust points. Needless to say, it's working GREAT now, but it has to as it's headed to my parent's house for full time mowing/snowblading duty. <font size="-2">'Cause I'm such a nice guy!</font>
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

My wife and I will be at RPRU Fri & Sat, this is our first chance to meet some forum members. I'll be looking for the Bluniers', who else can we look for?
wave.gif

Art-
If you have or have access to a Brinly toolbar they're great for leveling. I use 8 of the ripper shanks (1-3/8" S-tine shovels) set only as wide as the wheel track then just skim the ground with it. That's how I knocked down the clods of dirt and leveled the part of my yard I plowed up. I like to see someone else did away with putting straw down over new grass, it sure helps keep the moisture in, but a pain in the butt once grass starts, I just watered mine before work, after work, and sometimes at dark. Grass is up & needs cutting in 2 weeks. Not bad for cheap Wal-Mart seed.

Wyatt-
I'm not a big fan of straw either, just too damn windy on this hill. Like you said, without the straw ya really gotta keep the water to it if you want the grass to grow, especially in this beach-sand.

I plan on doing the "before work, after work" routine too. Not sure if it will work, time will tell.

Jim S. and 11yr old neighbor boy - WELCOME to the WORLD OF International Cub Cadets.

We are looking forward to the sacrifical BIG OLE Bon Fire utilizing your JD140 as penance to the IH Gods.

My name is Hydro Harry, known to some as one of the original elder statesman of this site, other know me to be quite infamous, while others know me to be of the Extremely Chronic Yellar and White Fever. Many also know my posting are always of great length and since it's nearly 2AM on the West Coast I'll cut this short:

With regard to your (creeping) deck adjustment, since your unit is of 1975 vintage but without indicatation of the Famous Quiet Line Model no. assigned to your unit, and due to some of your symptoms and other details provided I assume you have a hydraulic lift. I have been the extremely proud owner of several 1450 Quiet Line units with hydraulic lift and must say I never experienced the deck slipping you refer to. Having never heard or experienced your problem it must be a rare situation. As was mentioned by another on here one of the EXPERTS will need to address your situation. Your suggested diagnosis makes alot of sense but since I've not repaired this problem I could only guess as to your correctness.

Let's hope that others read your post and will advise us all of what your problem really is and how we may all to expect repair.

I have not posted for quite some time and am not sure if the infamous Professor Chabot still visits and posts corrective actions from his museum loft in the famous state of Mass. Another expert would be the great Steve from the farm lands of Il.(that is if memory serves me correct).

Lets here from you guys - how can Jim S. and his neighbor fix the problem he posted yesterday.

Thanks to all.

Hydro Harry
Hydros Forever

Had an overdose of cub time (is that possible) last night after the local delivery guy unloaded 12 yards of gravel for wife's new circle drive. Used my 125 hydro and a 42" x 14" blade I built last month for the 3 point. Would have been easier if he had'nt opend his gate so far, my 2001 Dodge Magnum nearly high centerd gettin into it's parkin spot. Maby I shouldn't have left my Cub out with the blade on for him to see and laugh at. Too bad he couldn't see how little trouble I had moving it around.
yawn.gif

Today after work I plan to use my restored 124 and a 6' long 6" I beam drag to put the final touch on the drive.

Digger:
What's that on your Cub hood, Wednesday June 23rd? Kinda looks like RCA Dalmation Dog.
confused.gif

So, Art, you're a band nerd???

"One time..., at band camp..., I stuck my flute (fill in the rest). It's all starting to make sense now.

I've put my wife on Cub watch. We're in Hannibal, MO., now and we're leaving for St. Louis today. She's missed a couple so I've had to thump her a couple of times. She likes that.
These business centers are just the ticket for staying up on the forum.

later,
Clark Griswold.

I might pick up a cub low boy. Were there many different variations as the cub? How do I find out about toys to add on to the low boy?

Jim Serley

I have never owned that model, but have a few ideas.

Your description that the lift does not drop while the engine is not running seems to indicate that pistion seal in the lift cylinder is good. I would focus on the spool valve assembly, seems that while the engine is running (hydraulic flow) the cylinder is being supplied fluid to one side. This would point to a seal on the spool valve leaking,leakage with in valve, or spool not returning to center position. I sure someone has more information, if I had a hydraulic schematic I could be of more help.

Don B., the Original in the second (middle) photo is Bryan McMeen's 1962 Original. The top Original belongs to Dan Hoefler and the bottom Original at one time belonged to Paul Bell but he sold it. I'm not sure what year Dan's and the one Paul had were built.

Art, I managed to take a photo of the mailbox and myself taking the photo, look at the mirror on the Cub. :eek:) <font size="-2">The Cub Cadet 125 was running so the mirror was shaking a bit.</font>
19790.jpg

Donnie H., I do believe that photo that Digger posted is an old one from the archives and I think it's just a bottle of water on the hood.

Art, nice weight. :eek:)

Art, that photo of the 149 with the cardboard reminds me of an incident at Plow Day V4....... :eek:)

Thanks Kenny. I like this forum since there is so much info about the cubs. I don't plan to replace the 127, just have a bigger yellow cub "LoBoy" as a toy. Must learn to spell correctly.

Art:

Remind me to think twice next time I buy something from you. . . .
dizzy.gif

All:

Last week I was asking if anyone ever repair a keyway on the driveshaft that the front pulley is mounted on. Steve B. and Art A. had suggestions. Well, our welder here at work was able to put a couple beads on the one edge of the keyway that was rounded. After a couple of hours grinding with a die grinder, and a couple of hours putting the whole shebang back together, I'm please to announce that IT WORKED!!!! No more annoying rattle. No more chewed up belt. So far, no apparent damage to the seal.

Thanks to Steve and Art for the advise.

Cost of a used 149 - $500
Cost of parts to make it run - $200
Cost of digital camera - $300
An entire forum page lighting up with bad/old humor when you post pictures...

<font size="+2">PRICELESS!!!!!</font>
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Latest posts

Back