Archive through June 17, 2018

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
IHCC Sponsor
IHCC Supporter
displayname
Digger
321037.gif

Happy Pappy Day to all you pappys.

I just went out to put the 149 in the barn. It started just fine and when I parked it and lifted the seat I found the battery had blown up. The top that plugged all six holes was lying to the side and the rim around the top was split. The battery is dry and underneath the hinged seat mount plate corrosion has started. I've got a cleaning job now!

Would this more than likely be the V/R allowing it to overcharge and eventually blow?

TIA.

I didn’t get it out because it buried pretty good but I did I go out and look at my Dad’s 122. It’s still there in the shed with it’s pretty white and blue seat.

Been busy adding another lean-to on the shed...too $#@ hot for carpentry work, but oh well!

Thanks Paul for the additional info on 409. I have some friends that probably would pull the same trick on me if they could.

Matt - thanks for your info on the Grade 8 steel and cam follower.

Now Wayne - wish I knew the answer on your battery. You said the battery was dry so that does sound like it was overcharging. I'm really surprised it started right up. I've only ever seen a battery blow up when someone chris-crossed the cables when attempting a charge. Pretty scary. I don't know where all the battery acid went but everyone survived ok.

New Plow Day Dates in PD Forum!

Wayne,

This is a long shot, but.......
The post could have broken inside or somewhere else and created a small gap.
This would allow for an arc while charging and caused the battery to "pop."

This happened to me one time, except it was a truck battery, and my face was about 12 inches above it!
icon_eek.gif

It felt like someone shot me in the face with a shotgun minus the shot.

I had a ball cap on, and it blew it over 20 feet away.
The only thing left were the plates and the bottom of the battery.

Hydro Harry ... I had a battery blow up on me while I was charging it. I thought a buddy of mine tossed a firecracker outside by the garage door ,went outside and no body was there. 20 min later I popped the hood on the 104 and it a few chunks missing on the top of it. I'm glad the hood was closed on it. I have a friend that lost his eye from a battery blowing up, someone lit a lighter under the hood to jump his car and it exploded , now he has a glass eye

I was told many years ago that a battery that had dry cells has the potential to explode when it takes a charge, because the gases that are created make it unstable. This mechanic said to always check to make sure it’s not dry before you charge it.
Keith

Anytime a battery is charging it is releasing highly flammable hydrogen gas, NEVER smoke near it or cause an arc. As you can see below, it is dangerous!

The battery that blew up on me was full, so it doesn't matter as Mike stated.
My father-in-law was trying to crank his truck so he could go to town and get another battery.
This happened about 35 years ago.

The acid burnt my eyes, sinuses, and throat.
I had my mouth shut, but the blast forced it down my throat anyway.
I had to put salve in my eyes for three days.
Thankfully, the pieces of plastic only hit my face. I have several small scars, and a small piece of my ear missing still today.

Thanks to all you guys that provided info on batteries. Lets all remember to be careful around our batteries.

Wayne - best guess seems like your battery had gone dry or nearly dry, and it blew up when the tractor started charging it - apparently right when you got to the barn. I'd say quite a coincidence you made it to the barn.

I suppose there is a chance your V/R was allowing it to be over-charged which caused the acid to evaporate, and resulted in the battery blowing up. I think you do need to check your charging voltage once you replace the battery.

Any chance you can still post a pic of the seat mount plate that has started to corrode? Seems like that would be from a little bit of acid still in your battery.

Okay, here's the thing...after I posted about the battery I remembered hearing a pop while mowing Saturday evening which I'm sure (now) was the explosion. I was actually MWI due to a couple of cocktails and paid little attention thinking it couldn't have come from the 149 since it was still running just fine. The 48" deck kept throwing the grass and showed no problems so... I continued for about 30-40 more minutes and finished up the section I was cutting. I didn't lift the seat until the next day when I took it to the barn. I have since removed the seat pan and given everything a thorough cleaning. I replaced the V/R and battery after tracing the wires to verify a few things. I even coated some more primer on the bottom (both sides) of the battery tray. It's all good to go now.

Here's the battery which is still putting out 12.95 volts as of a few minutes ago.

321045.jpg

321046.jpg

321047.jpg

It was only two years old next month. I have a few of the same battery that are 6 or 7 years old and doing fine. It's made by Exide and sold at Tractor Supply around here for around $50. I think I will use it with my electrolysis tank since it may last a while and it can't blow up again (???). There is still some acid just covering the plates inside so I'll get out the duct tape, some distilled water and six aspirin and plug it back up. I guess the amount of water depends on how far down the cracks go huh...epoxy glue??

Harry-

I will get a pick of under the seat after while. I just cleaned it well and put it back on the tractor. It isn't really that bad but the paint is blistered a bit in a strip right where the holes were exposed. I will keep an eye on it and eventually clean/paint it.

Maybe this hot a$$ weather we're having will slow the grass growing. I have other things to do.

Kraig-

I've seen that video some time back. That's definitely an idiot without doubt. The standing up to pee bit makes me wonder if it was a manufactured video but I'll go along with things and just laugh.

Wayne-

My two cents is that battery is a core exchange and nothing else. To epoxy the case back together you'd have to get it pretty clean to get a good bond, and that won't likely happen with acid in the battery. Why take a chance on something happening again?

Latest posts

Back