• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through June 04, 2012

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wshytle

displayname
Wayne Shytle
Well the 1650 is running again. It was the coil apparently. I couldn't get any ohm reading from the old coil so I put in another. I'm glad to have done all of the other work too because I found several little things that needed some attention like the V/R being in backwards. I think it actually runs a little better than before too even though it ran great.

Thanks again for all of the input.

I'm still learning...

I want to thank Charlie for his brief, although informative, advice given to me concerning the steering column top bearing. I am happy to have such great support for, what is turning out to be, a very frustrating 1250.

Now, getting that steering wheel off....
bash.gif

Hi all,

I bought parts to fix my PTO clutch from Madson's Service. The fellow new exactly what I needed and even gave a little repair advice. They had all the parts on hand. Great place to deal with!

I should have it mowing by next week!

Todd

Having your 2 year old grandson help blade the
driveway makes cub time all the better.
239724.jpg

Kendal,
Being that my Daughter just had a son a few months ago, I'm looking forwrd to "seat time" with my Grandson too.
What kind of belly mount blade is that?? How about some pix of it??

Marlin: Sorry to hear about the demise of the 15 Series; but good to hear from you again.

Kendall: Looks like the grandson is giving you directions.
smile.gif

Dennis,
The "International" snow thower decal are still out there. Maple/Hunter decals has 'em.

Got the 73 out for a spin today hasn't moved in about six months or more. Ran like it just ran 2 days ago!!
239732.jpg

Just replaced the old 8hp for a more powerful 10hp now all I need is a good set of ag tires for the rear and a set of tri ribs for the front.
239733.jpg

The fenders, rear lift, and the spring assist were just recently added. Just taking the fenders of to give them a fresh coat of paint!
239734.jpg

Question for the knowledgable....what is the outside frame width on a SGT. I'm looking at picking up an off brand loader and it measures 30" inside of mount to inside of mount. Not that it can't be adjusted, I'm just curious as to how much of a difference it is.

Wyatt, my 1650's hydro unit got so bad at 1 of Steve's plow days that I would have it full hydro and still not be able to spin a tire nor keep up with my 149. I was a little worried when I found almost a 1/2" of gunk in the bottom of the case when I bought it and it looked like the original filter on it. I bought a used hydro unit from a 149 and now have not found any ground that I can go full speed but it sure pulls. The lift also gets slower on it after plowing for about an hour but the hydro still has great pulling ability. I checked this unit when I put it in to make sure the pressures were right and after it warmed up for 20 minutes, I had 200 psi on the hydro and 650 psi on the lift. I never checked it after plowing for an hour but I bet it is lower than that.

GUYS!! THEY MENTIONED US ON CRAIGSLIST!! (AND CHECK OUT THIS CUB!) I normally wouldn't have posted a craigslist ad, but I couldn't pass up this.. interesting.. tractor.

"International Harvester Cub Cadet tractor. From late 1960's. Model K241AS.
As far as I can tell, this has the 10HP Kohler engine. They don't build them like this any longer.
Runs great. Includes several accessories including: dump cart, front blade, plow, tiller.

These tractors are actively sought out today because of their tough design. Parts are available and there are clubs and forums on the internet: https://www.ihcubcadet.com

You won't find a bargain like this again soon, with all of these attachments.

Check out the pictures!"
239743.jpg

Definitely.. Umm.. different.

Marlin-
The relief springs have been all replaced and if memory now serves me right, the hydro was warmed up (it would have been 2002 or 2003, pictures of the test were posted here, from Dennis's shop). If memory serves me right, relief was set on high limit of operating range.

I guess the shorter question is; I know the thing is worn out, I have a known good hydro out of a 1250, but its a non-ported pump. Will the internals all swap into a ported pump (charge pump, blocks, pistons, etc.). My initial thoughts would assume so unless the charge pump of a non-ported pump has a smaller displacement.

Charles,
What city is that listed on craiglist? Want to see more pix.

More progress - did a cradle mod for the 1650.

239746.jpg

The cradle LH and RH brackets differ from the pics in the FAQ. Makes me wonder if those are out of a later model CC - perhaps swapped in when the 14 hp was installed. The brackets don't have the notch in them at the end corners. It made it a tad tighter getting the welded assy in and out of the tractor frame, but seems to fit OK.

Next up is to tighten-up the frame/axle cradle as I've a bit of slop front to back, clean things up some in the engine area, check the hydro fan and I'm ready to start the engine reinstall.

Charlie,

Thanks, yes, it does look like a Johnson. What exactly ran the pump?

Kendal-
Is that a "Precision Services" blade? The white-ish primer wearing through would seem reminiscent of the Aquapon primer Dan uses.

Bill J - glad to hear things are coming along with your 1650. I wouldn't be concerned with the cut corners on the cradle. You should feel fortunate that your ISO bars have the slightly elongated rear holes for bolting the engine to the bars. This allows you a little movement so you can more easily align the bolt holes for the front bolts. Those are the difficult ones AND REMEMBER - it's alot easier to remount your engine with the front axle removed. Since you're gonna tighten the axle channel go ahead and get that all done, and then just leave the axle out until you have the engine back in. You'll save yourself some pinched fingers and alot of various words not printable.

Wayne S. Good to hear the 1650is running again.

Kendall H. Great picture!!! Now you'll need to find your grandson his own Cub Cadet.

Wyatt C. It's been awhile since I've worked in the 15 Cell. Everything internal will swap such as the cylinder block kit, swashplate, etc. I'll have to check on the charge pump housing. I can't remember on those parts and MTD/Cub Cadet's parts lookup doesn't help at all. I'll find out for you this morning.
happy.gif

Wyatt Compton

(I guess the shorter question is; I know the thing is worn out, I have a known good hydro out of a 1250, but its a non-ported pump. Will the internals all swap into a ported pump (charge pump, blocks, pistons, etc.). My initial thoughts would assume so unless the charge pump of a non-ported pump has a smaller displacement)

There is no difference that I found having both apart.If you change internals use all the pistons and the big washer that the pistons runs on in the same order, Just hold the pump and rotate it so everything comes out as one unit. I believe they wear together and fit as a unit and mixing any parts will mean a loss of efficiency. I think Frank c and Wayne have both did the switch to a ported pump by changing the front of the pump. I have changed the pump shaft in one and would do that again.The shaft came from a 149 and was installed in a 1512. No issues so far.
old.gif

Back