• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 27, 2010

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot this,
Prices as of Jan. 1 1981
194662.jpg

Don T.
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Paul Bell
As we know , points setting is per engine. you could have the points set at .20 and have it hunt also. we must all set them up buy the mark on the flywheel. My 107 is a strong runner and the .03 149 is better at everything. I like em all and enjoy them.b <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
I think you got the wrong person, cause I'm not sure what you are refering to.

Andy W, When you post a picture (thanks for that) hit the enter key before and after each picture. Puting them side by side makes the screen really wide.
How do you like those tires I found them in a search, wondered about them.

Terry R - thanks for posting that story out of VA. It was such a sad accident, and then not so surprising how the jury decided - clearly on the basis of who has the deep pockets. I'm also almost amazed someone didn't pursue getting a law passed requiring annual safety inspections of all lawn mower devices to insure the safety devices are operational. Ya wonder where common sense has gone.

Lucas - why don't you just go get a cheap ROTARY aftermarket filter. They seem to be pretty good. If you really want the best then go get a "K&N" - yes they do make them for most Kohler applications, and you can clean it and re-oil it. I understand it's even been proven to add hp, although I've not seen any documentation. Must be someone on here that uses a K&N.

Hydro Harry
Old Cubs Never Die (but they sometimes choke)

Terry-

It is a terribly sad thing when a child gets hurt. It's even sadder when stupidity gets to play a role in the settlement. I understand that a person can walk around a "no tresspassing" sign, step in a hole and break his leg, then sue the landowner for neglect. The term "scapegoat" had to have originated in this country. Unnecessary legal measures probably had something to do with IH selling out in the early eighties. The one thing you don't hear about today is common sense. "They" replaced that with safety switches.

anyone ever put a 10hp motor in a cub original?

i have plans of trying this and wanted to see is there is anyhting i should be worried about (mainly phyiscal size of the motors)

thanks

TERRY - I suspect an accident like you posted happened long before 2004 to cause the OEM's to include safety switches on tractors back in 1980.
Those accidents are tragic, but common sense would prevent them. I've been around rotary mowers since I was very young, from little 7 HP CC's to Bush Hogs run by 50-100 HP ag tractors. When a bush hog hits something it's like a bomb going off under the mower. IH even made/sold ballistic shields for their tractors from solid steel to protect the operators from flying debris. The operator on a CC has much more protection since he's over the mower, but still can be struck by debris bouncing off fences & walls. Rocks, sticks, debris can fly 20 ft or more with considerable force from a CC deck. NOBODY should be around a rotary mower when someone's mowing. When SON & I both used to mow We seldom if ever ran on the discharge side of each other's deck. Just isn't wise to tempt fate that a stick or rock could be ejected.

I've been employed at a couple companies who suffered thru liability lawsuits. The accidents are tragic, the punitive actions against the OEM won't bring the victim back or cure his pain, but they all have one thing in common, somebody was in a hurry and did something pretty stupid.

My personal opinion is that no amount of safety switches or interlocks can take the place of a safety-conscious operator of any piece of equipment. I'm also very aware from personal experience that "Stuff happens" most times very quickly when mechanized equipment is involved.

My Cubbies all have the clutch/brake pedal safety switchs, as do my pickup and work car, but My FARMALL's don't and never did have them. But the lessons I learned fifty years ago running them is still how I operate everything I own now. Check oil & gas before starting, always put the trans/PTO/etc in neutral and depress clutch before starting, and always look before backing up.

I do have to agree with Matt & Wayne. When my equipment is at shows or in public areas I have the key in my pocket. When I let someone else run my equipment I give them a brief rundown of "Special Instructions" for proper & safe operation and I don't allow just anyone to hop on and go for a ride, same way I treat everyone else's equipment. I also watch the person running my equipment for a few minutes to make sure they run it in a safe manner.

HARRY - I would not recommend a K&N air filter for any working tractor/CC. WAY too much dust/dirt around a tractor engine while mowing in the summer. I ran one of their drop-in OEM replacement filters in my diesel pickup for a while. I also do oil analysis on the truck every 10,000 miles or so. ALL the O/A's with the K&N filter came back with SILICON levels of 3, even 4 PPM(all highway miles). When I cleaned & washed the K&N the first time I saw MILLIONS of points of light thru the filter media even after reoiling the filter and went to town and got an OEM dry pleated paper element. ALL the O/A's afterwards had ZERO or 1 PPM of silicon. As You know, Silicon is DIRT, in the engine oil that was let into the engine thru the air filter.

There's several WEEKS worth of reading on the internet about oil-wetted cotton fiber air filters and for the most part they offer no HP increase, but let more dust/dirt into the engine. The desert racers run them because they will shed dirt when operating in blinding dusty conditions and still flow a reasonable amount of air, but then their race engines get rebuilt every race. There are a couple cars that come stock with K&N's installed. But I won't change my opinion of them until I see Case/New Holland, CAT, JD, Dresser, AGCO, MTD, etc switch from dry pleated paper filters to K&N's in their new equipment.

Independent testing has shown FRAM oil filters may not be as good as other OEM quality oil filters, but the FRAM air filter I use in the K181 on my lawn vac and recommended to Lucas seems to be very well constructed.

Chris-
Yes, the Plow Special pictured in my profile has a 10hp engine in it. Here are the basic things you have to do to fit a 10hp (with a flat oil pan) in an Original.
*Knock engine mount nuts off of the bottom of frame.
*Drill hole in frame for flat oil pan drain plug.
*Shim up grill shell and steering pedestal at least 3/4".
*Figure out what to do with the fuel tank. (A 10hp tank will not fit under the hood) I made a custom tank bracket for a smaller 7hp tank to mount in the stock location, but you could remote-mount a tank somewhere else (back of the tractor?) and use a fuel pump.
*As a final finishing touch, I was able to find a 10hp Oil-Bath air-cleaner that gives it that "factory correct" look, but you could still run the regular paper-filter element, it will just ride up close to the side of the hood.

Perhaps Kraig could post some pictures showing the details for you.
happy.gif

Feel free to email me if you have any questions. I'd be happy to help...

thanks

i have done some searching and found some good pictures i will be strarting on this (nightmare) in fall or winter ( i have to get my boys 125 running)

this tractor is /should have been a parts machine but i am going ot have fun with it

194678.jpg

i actually have most of this things i need except a grill throtle and key switch

Here are some photos of Art's "Plow Special". First two are of the engine showing the custom fuel tank mounts that Art made.

194680.jpg

194681.jpg

If you look close at this photo below, you can see the 3/4" square tubing that Art used to space the pedestal and grill shell up to allow clearance for the larger 10hp.

194682.jpg

Greg L.
I think you're looking for Jimmy Long with a 1250 and believe he's on vacation now. I've thought about his problem some and wonder if he has the spacer (about 1/4' thick) between the carb and block. IIRC it's to prevent vaporlock.
Anyone else know for sure?

Nope, won't start:
194688.jpg

Not high enough, I guess -- and Charlie's forklift is 1818 miles away (a lot of that through Canada).
This dose dosen't it?!!!
bash.gif

Harry, Wayne, Dennis,
I agree - common sense is the key. But the story I posted explains why OEMs have safety switches on their machines - because someone is going to do something stupid and someone is going to get hurt and someone will get sued. OEMs have to protect themselves, and if someone wants to defeat a safety switch that the OEM placed on the machine, then the responsibility SHOULD fall on the owner/operator. I say should, because I have a feeling that the OEM may still be drugged into the lawsuit regardless.

TERRY - My personal experience with OEMs private liability cases has been:
$5 Billion/yr multi-national corp LOST their case;
$20 Million/yr business unit of a $2.5 Billion/yr multi-national corp. WON their case.

Both cases involved severe personal injury or death caused by experienced people doing stupid things with older equipment. Even the company that won paid Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars for legal fees and research to plead their case not to mention the lost time of dozens of technical & professional people to dig thru the archives in-plant to obtain pertinent facts about the machine that caused the injury/death.

So noone actually "Won" either case, except the lawyers.

With today's legal system there really isn't an end to a company's liability. Their only protection is to "Lawyer-UP!"

Most liability court cases go in favor of the victim, the company almost ALWAYS pays.

SOOOO. To keep this on topic, Got my 42" snow blade home.... It will sure look better with a fresh coat of paint!

Picking up a 126 w/ 42" deck tomorrow and looking at a 125 w/42'deck this evening.....

Life is good.!!!

Latest posts

Back