• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 26, 2016

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to all for your input. I will let you know what I see when I get it apart. Got to finish my son's original axle bushings & seals first.

Joshua S. I like the re-sized picture.
happy.gif

Attachments

• happy.gif
    happy.gif
    879 bytes · Views: 123
David - ya, so you've seen it as well. The question now - is this what Wayne was referring to?

Harry-

Breather, air cleaner....potato, topato. I've heard the "air cleaner" refered to as the air breather or short, breather all of my life. You're just trying to throw in some of that Hydro BS now. Well excuuuuuuse me!

The spacer I am talking about looks like a big, thick washer with the 3 hole pattern. I've dealt with many QLs and have never seen one tacked in place...they've always been loose and installed between the "air cleaner" and the carb. I'm assuming from what David K. said that maybe they are there for spacing or support or something of the like. Maybe they weren't installed on all QL models either...I don't know hence the question.

I came across a nicely broken 3 pin clutch driver today. This 1200 was only hours away from a major breakdown. I also found the muffler was being held by the end bracket and bolt. It was just barely hanging on the exhaust nipple and slipped right off, clamp and all once I removed the bracket bolt. It seems there will be a lot of good news, bad news in our next conversation.

Hydro, Thanks for the corrections. Along with the fly wheel improvement, came the use of a "firewall", designed to keep the large fuel tank's content cooler while flowing into the carb. With David's conformation, we end up with a great operating IH Cub Cadet Quiet line. Furthermore,I always had thought, or assumed to be under the impression, that, IH had the say to Kohler as to how IH wanted their engines to be set up. Keeping the proven cast iron oil pans, that are stronger, and should have cost less than the aluminum oil pans should have made more sense. What's the difference to finish out the garden tractor's proven history for this last series production run before the "all-new" 82 Series???? So, long story short,... I thought of improvements to the Quiet line from top to bottom, in general, would ultimately have resulted in a better set up for this model.

But, that's why I hang around, and like it here, you know?

On another note, I'm not so sure having IH wheel weights on my 1450 for my better half is such a good idea. She's never operated a garden tractor, or a tractor in her life. She's city girl turned country girl! Hearing weird noises now from the "rear-end" of my 1450. Almost like a stone,.... perhaps,.... inside the right axle carrier. It's just too much to have two tractors down in my shop right now. The 1450 is gonna have to wait closer to snow clearing season.

Wayne - I hate to disagree with you but my post wasn't meant to be Hydro BS. I was really trying to understand your question. So here goes with a question for you - what do you call that rectangular metal plate just to the right of the carb? It's got a sort of half moon bump on it with a hole, and it's held in place with a nut.

I'm pretty certain David understood what the metal washer is on the QL air cleaner base, and he's seen the base cracked when it's missing.

Wayne - if you could get us a couple pics it sure would help.

To bad about the 3-pin clutch driver. I'm pretty certain you can convert it to the older style without any problem and it'll have the usual long long life.

And about the muffler, I'm hoping that aluminum or white metal backing plate or "duct" as Kohler calls it (it's really the back of the muffler box), is not all cracked up. They are expensive and hard to find (Charlie might have one). Usually many of the bolt holes are stripped and it's hard to keep the muffler box from rattling. I also recommend you check David Kirk's website for the "muffler crutch" to help support the muffler and save the duct and box.

John - I'm pretty certain you're right about IH having the say with Kohler about how they wanted their engines set up. It's coded into the Spec No. I've seen Spec No. Cross Reference charts that call out who that Spec No. model is actually for. I'm certain IH could have said supply ours with the cast iron oil pan and it would have been. But I believe the mounting bolt and stripped threads issue wasn't realized for quite some time. The ISO-mounts really do last a long long time from new so I'll bet the whole problem didn't even show up until after end of the QL production.

Hydro Harry, Thank you for your reply! I never was on the bandwagon claiming the Quiet Line was "trouble-some" simply because the 82 Series now had opposing features contrast to the QL. Because of this forum, I have discovered the problems, and made those changes to my 1450. I even went with Genuine Replacement ISO mounts. Also, I was pointing out the vapor lock, mentioned by David K, and thus mentioned the "new" firewall installed in the QL Series.

Gonna get back to tinkering with my 125, so I can get my 1450 ready for rear end removal. I'll catch up with you all later!

Latest posts

Back