• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 13, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Terry for the goodies this weekend!

288400.jpg

288401.jpg

Kraig/Craig - just found an original parts list for the k161 so scratch that particular one.

Frank I haven't ruled out the higher hp's, just wondering if I should. Quieter doesn't matter to me and smoother doesn't matter that much either as long as it isn't vibrating to pieces. I'm wondering if what I mentioned in the other post that I had been told is true. Maybe my 1650 wasn't set up right and my problem was uncommon. Maybe the 14's don't have the problem I was told the 16's did. I'm not trying to build a show tractor, I just want my next and last tractor to be like new. It should certainly outlast me, so I want it with many/all options and most of the common IH attachments and manuals so I can use it often and maintain it in great condition. I purposely left the model number out of the post so that it wouldn't be construed as a WTB. The sentimental model is a 149 that my Grandpa had. Since it was his and not mine is the reason I don't know if the vibration issue is real and to what degree it really is an issue. If I can be convinced that the vibration issue of the bigger engines can be tamed or doesn't exist on a properly set up tractor and I don't find what I'm looking for I'd probably get a 169

BILL S. - IMHO, engine vibration is all relative to the size of the engine and it's components. Even the little 7 & 8 HP engines vibrate. A 16 HP will vibrate a certain amount, and a 14 hp will vibrate about 7/8ths as much, etc, etc.

There are things that can reduce the amount of vibration. The counter-balance gears Kohler used on 12, 14, & 16 HP engines were short lived, quickly designed and not robust enough for their job. I refer to them a grenade gears, as in "Hand Grenade"

Look at the colorful boxes at the top of this page, on the left, Kirk Enginess, click on the box and scroll down the page and read up on Dave Kirk's balance weights he makes for Kohler engines. I had Dave balance a K321, 14 HP engine several years ago... it runs smoother than the K241 10HP engine it replaced. IMO, They're the best was to modify a Kohler to run smoother and longer.

I bet if you polled the members here, just about ALL of them would take a 1X8 or 1X9 model tractor. I had a 129 for 15 yrs, was almost a basket case when I bought it, repainted it, refurbished it, rebuilt the engine, was a reliable efficient tractor for many years after all the work and expense.

Kraig - that would be fantastic. I'm trying my best to get these ole dudes put together as correctly as possible and any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

Dennis and Jeff- That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Thank you. I will check out Kirk's. Any other input or ideas is appreciated.

Bill S,

The 149 is a considered to be a favorite by many here on the forum with its durable K321 14 hp Kohler under the hood, hydrostatic drive and hydraulic lift for lifting your implement/attachments. Yes the engine vibrates a little at low RPMs but not bad. My 149 is celebrating its 40th B-Day this year and still earning its keep, tilling the garden in spring, mowing grass every other week in the summer (takes turns with the #2 782), plowing the garden in the fall and pushing snow with the 42" front mount blade in the winter.

Back