• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 10, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a great birthday present for your Dad.
Very nice Marty,looks better than new one!

Earl L.,

How to "have your cake and eat it too."
I forgot to tell you I have a 128 that I restored and use for all my tractor needs.
298076.jpg

Dad has a 100 and an off topic lawn tractor he uses.

All the other tractors will be used for show & tell!
thumbsup_old.gif

298077.jpg

Clark M.

I was looking back through the posts regarding your 71 spark issue. I admit to being lazy and was not reading all Q & A's.

I would like to know if you still getting a single spark what turning the key off?

Have you checked the resistance of all the wiring in the ignition system and the coil? This is when an ohm meter with alligator clip leads is great. You can attach the clips here and there and check for bad connections, "hands free". Try to hold probes in place is a PITA.

You confirmed the timing marks are dead on, and did you replace the plunger rod? I almost always use new plunger rods.

You can drop me an email if you wish. I might reply faster.

Jim

Hi, new member here. I just got a Cub 147 given to me for free. I got it running pretty well and the hydro works good other than the speed creep due to the worn linkage.
One thing that is driving me nuts is the hood rattles like crazy. It looks like the hardware that the front of the hood pivots on is incorrect. The pivot points are sloppy and it seems like there should be more there than just bolts and lock nuts, like a bushing or a rubber.
The pictures in the Cub parts imager are not much help, as they list parts not shown in the illustration.
Anyone have a pic or diagram of how it should be?

Thanks in advance!
Josh

Joshua,, Welcome, sit tight a 147 frame guy will help you soon, I only know 149 s

Josh,

Over time the hood mounts can develop slop in the hinges/latches if the rubber bumpers are not keep in good shape or in place. This is the foam rubber around the dash and hood bumper pads PN/ IH-403436-R1 735-3007 or 935-3007. I have used a section of 3/4" ID to 1" OD rubber hose as a substitute. There are two on the mount bracket on the front tractor above the voltage regulator. They are located center of the hood just to the left and right. Sorry don't have picture.

Maybe Kraig will post one?

Jim

Marty - I always thought the 122 was one of the toughest Cubs made, except for the seat. I'm not a member of the correct police but certainly do lean towards using original stuff. Using a 122 seat just adds to the toughness of the tractor and in my view makes it really ideal. And by the way, I never knew the hole was for the cigarette lighter - guess I should study the manuals a little closer. Looks like your Dad is really enjoying the tractor. Really nice work.

Joshua, I also have a 147. the front 'hinge' is just a nut and bolt on both sides. Tilting the hood up has it leaning on the front snout and puts a lit of strain on the sheet metal of the hood itself. Usually a giant hole happens, or even gets ripped out. The prev owner of mine welded a washer on the inside on both sides. Note the way these hoods are made you don't want to just flip it up and stop by itself on the front. It'll rip off real quick.
PS:
WELCOME.gif

Allen, Yes my hood looks like it was already torn or the bolt holes were worn oblong. Looks like someone brazed on some hex nuts to beef up the area.
The bolts just seem sloppy and I thought maybe there were supposed to be bushings in there or a shoulder bolt.
Mine appears to have the remnants of the rear foam rubber pads, but nothing on the front. so at least we know part of the problem.

Front hoods.....weld washers on inside, then install with fiber friction washers so the bolts are just past finger tight. Helps with tears, rattles, and keeps the hood from "slamming"

Latest posts

Back