• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 10, 2015

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cphipps

displayname
CHRIS PHIPPS
anybody have pictures of all 3 types of 42" mower decks for ID

Chris, here are photos of the 38"/42" deck variants.

First version - 1963 to 1968 (aka "Cast end decks" and/or "pin on decks"):

298018.jpg

Second version - 1968 to 1971:

298019.jpg

Third version - 1971 to 1974:

298020.jpg

Earl,

I am not familiar with non-oxygenated fuel. Shell has nitrogen enriched gas which I use in my car. It seems to be OK.
The "regular" gas usually contains 10% or more of ethanol, which is horrible on small engines.

I know it costs a little more, but I mostly use 93 octane non-ethanol in all of my small engines as well as in my truck, since it sits quite a bit.
I highly recommend non-ethanol fuel in any grade. Non-ethanol may cost a little more, but it's not like we drive our cub cadets to work everyday (unless your name is Charlie!
err.gif
) A 5 gallon can of gas will last me a long time.

I usually run 89 or 91 octane and 10% ethanol, too hard to find zero%. This is what goes in my truck. I top off the truck and than fill the cans, the best freshest gas comes out last. The high octane seems a waste of $$ on a low compression engine. It does keep the engine running cooler, but likely not a significant amount. Good air flow across the fins is more important.

Don't use gas older than 3 months or that has not been in a sealed can. Gasoline looses octane over time and ethanol absorbs moisture. Fuel in gas tanks or cans sitting longer than 3 months should have stabilizer added. I have dumped old gas in my truck many times, modern vehicles can handle it much better.

Jim

The 100 went to the testing grounds to see how it mowed today.
298026.jpg

298027.jpg

I was pleased how it mowed considering we had 3 inches of rain Wednesday evening thru Thursday afternoon. Needless to say the grass was wet and the blades need replaced. It did throw the cut grass 5-6 feet.

I'm not going to add a shroud to the mower deck.
298028.jpg

Need to check belts for tightness and install shields on mower deck.

Son may be getting the off topic mower instead of the 100.

Dale,

Nice 100!, one of my favorite models.

Jim,

You are correct, ethanol gas will go bad (absorb moisture) very quickly.
The sniff test will let you know when it is bad. It will have a "sweet" smell to it. If you have ever smelt old gas, you know what i'm talking about.

The high octane non ethanol I use will last a long time. I have kept some in a gas can for over a year, and it was still fine.
Since it is almost 4 bucks a gallon these days, the inventory at my house is limited to one 5 gallon can instead of all the cans being filled!

Finally, after a five year physical battle, I have finished my dad's 122! There have been some long hours spent on this the past four or five weeks.
Yes, it has the 102 seat(for the correct police), but the seat is of the same series tractors. The seat that was on it when dad bought it was not a cub cadet seat.
We also added a creeper, head lights, wheel weights, rear lift with adapter, and a cigarette lighter even though we don't smoke.
I'll post some pics of the lighter in a little bit.

298034.jpg

298035.jpg

298036.jpg

My dad's 76th birthday was yesterday, so I took the day off and took the 122 to him. He was very surprised!
Here is the pic of the cigarette lighter. I found out the lighter was what went in that hole in the dash in the operator's manual. I thought that would be neat.

298042.jpg

Here's dad on it for the first time. Notice the big grin!

298043.jpg

Away he went!

298044.jpg

I believe I made his birthday!!
bubbly.gif

298045.jpg

Earl,

Dad is going to take it to antique tractor shows.
If you could have seen how happy he was, I am definitely a winner! Seeing him that happy was worth every minute I spent on the restoration.
happy.gif

Marty, makes me wish I was your dad,,,,,nice gift

Marty-

You're definitely a winner here! Very nice little story and a wonderful job on restoration.

Marty.....great gift and nice job on the restoration..bet your dad loved it....thats cool!!!!
greenthumb.gif

That Cub looks awesome, Marty!

Timing question just in case it was missed from the new page-

After spending a couple of hours using the Static Timing method trying to get my 71 running, I've decided that I'm doing something wrong. Even at the extremes of point adjustment, (with a new points rod), I am still about 1/3 of a turn away from the S/F and D/C marks on the flywheel.
I pulled the engine and opened it up to make doubly sure that I lined the marked teeth on the camshaft/crankshaft correctly, and I did. Now I'm pretty confused, so I wanted to ask you guys for input before I reassembled everything. Doing some research myself, too.

Marty, what is that silver knob next to the creeper handle do? That 122 looks completely optioned out!

Thanks for all the compliments, and thanks to all who helped with the info on the wiring. I couldn't have done it without the help of you guys and this terrific website.

Clark,

If you are referring to the part that is sticking up between the creeper knob and the shifter knob, it is the breather for the creeper gear.

Allen,

I believe I should have gave him a map, he took off down the road with it!

Wow Marty, that tractor is awesome.. almost as awesome as the story of your Dad!

Congratulations on a job well done.

Back