• This community needs YOUR help today. With the ever increasing fees of everything (server, software, domain, e-mail) , we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of IH Cub Cadets. You get a lot of great new account perks including access to private forums. If you sign up for annual, I will ship a few IH Cub Cadet Forum decals too in addition to all the account perks you get. You can see what it looks like below.

Archive through July 08, 2014

IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum

Help Support IH Cub Cadet Tractor Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, I thought the paint story was coming to an end but little tidbits keep adding questions. Since the clutch lever and some other parts on the QL are black, and very likely the clutch spring was red, it's pretty certain the clutch assembly was not installed until after the tractor was painted. Not clear to me how they kept yellar paint oversprady off the steering column above the dash for a QL (although they likely also did the same thing for the 1x8/9 series steering column since it is also black above the dash).

Now I'm wondering about the ISO-bars. They have always been yellar but the ISO-mounts are black rubber and I've never seen overspray on them, and the bolts always appears zinc plated with no overspray so it's pretty certain the ISO-bars were painted before installation - I suppose by their supplier.

Still seems kinda neat to me to try and figure out how things were done as these tractors were brought to life.

Hydro Harry,

My observations on the steering boxes is that columns tubes were painted black as supplied to IH Louisville. The steering boxes were attached to the frames prior to painting and the lower ends got painted yellow or red (82 series) along with painting of the frame and transmission. The lower end of the steering tube frequently has overspray paint that runs out part way up the tube. LVL may have even slipped a plastic bag over upper part of the tube to mask it off and prevent overspray on the visible part of the tube.

I believe Ron is correct, I seem to remember reading that the steering tubes 1x8,9 and later where supplied painted black by ROSS.

I agree with Harry that it's neat to find the build history/happenings.

Dennis and Paul are our IH plant experts and Ron and a few others are IH dealership experts.

Thank to you you guys sharing knowledge even if it sounds like we diagree.

Untill later
popcorn.gif
extra butter

Ron S - yes I figure they must have done something like that to the steering boxes. Makes me wonder why they were installed before the main tractor painting, especially on the 1x8/9 series and the Quiet Lines since they both had the white dash and pedestals, and side panels.

fence.gif
Jeff - No Butter, No Microwave (except in an emergency), No Nothing Artificial For Me!! Just the plain ole naturally grown freshly popped stuff (with a touch of salt)
popcorn1.gif

I think I have just run into my worst ever problem repairing a Cub Cadet.The lift lever on my 1450 broke in half at the hole for the pin holding the lever.The part is no longer available thru C/C and is almost non fixable.Maybe can make a new one.Any suggestions?
Dan

HARRY - I wish you'd be more careful about what you credit me with saying. I never said, "IH almost certainly positively didn't have black paint.." IH had a semi-gloss black way back in the 50's, if you research the "PAINT COMMITTEE" records at the Wis. Historical Society, there was a semi-gloss black used in many locations, like tillage tools,haying equipment, tractor instrument panels, etc.

You may have interpretted my comment of, "FARMALL didn't spray black paint until they started using it on the chassis of the 3088/3288/3488/3688/5X88's..."

BIG difference in meaning there!

Anyhow, my old OEM spring is 1.050" in diameter, wire diameter is .190", 6-1/2 inch free length, 22 coils and the ends are ground flat both ends.

My red MWSC 800# pulling clutch spring is 1.195" OD, wire is a rounded corner rectangular wire .2750" x .210" with the wire wound with the shorter dimension parallel to the length of the spring, 6 inches total length and 18 coils, flat ground ends both ends.

And just for the record, the OEM clutch springs I bought 1-3 yrs ago were ALL BARE STEEL, no paint at all.

Bob...The pin that goes through the arm on the left side of your last 2 pic's is what I'm referring to.

The steel it is made of is even thinner than the hanger and IMHO, causes excess wear on the pin and arm. Seems to me, if uneven, this would in time throw off the geometry of the surface the TO bearing rides on when engaged.

Most of my GD's suffer from this problem so I have been beefing them up in this area and replacing the pins as well.

Most, if not all of the cubs I have worked on and my own as well have the lower portion of the steering gear painted yellow and with overspray extending up onto the lower portion of the tube.

Also, for what it's worth, the Q'L's I have, the lower 1" or so of the tower, where the 4 bolts go through to the frame, is also painted yellow.

Dan M., I think this is the part you're looking for. Anyway, not sure if Charlie has them back in stock yet but there was an improved version of that lift lever. Charlie has it listed as:

Updated Arm for Hydraulic Handle PN/ IH-106531-C2

Fits 1250, 1450, and 1650

288281.jpg

EDIT: Oops, I bet it 's this part you are looking for:

Zinc Plated Hydraulic Lift Handle PH/ IH-135547-C1 NLA from Cub Cadet

Fits 1250, 1450, and 1650

Looks like Charlie has them in stock.

No Craig,I need the outside lever On the right side.It is a 7/16" diameter rod that is used to raise and lower the implements.

Dan M., I figured that out, note the "EDIT:" in my post.

Latest posts

Back